Transfer Deadline Day... & Post Deadline Speculation

12346»

Comments

• After deciding Southampton will not come back up with heavy double defeats helping that decision, I think we should still go in there and sneak Walker Peters out and give him a good club to play for
  • Yeah I was really surprised he didn’t leave over the summer. He’s very good, imo.
  • He's certainly one to consider, can play both sides, HG (important for us in the next few windows given we'll likely lose a few HG players in the near future).
  • Newcastle consider £52m move for Lucas Paqueta from West Ham in January

Lets take a guess whether that'll be rejected or laughing all over the floor rejected
  • Definitely the latter 😂
  • Not transfers, but I've just read some reports that we have apparently extended Soucek's contract to 2027, Antonio's to 2025 with an extra optional year, that we're in discussion to extend Coufal's deal, and that we're 'close' to an agreement with Bowen.
  • alderz said:

Not transfers, but I've just read some reports that we have apparently extended Soucek's contract to 2027, Antonio's to 2025 with an extra optional year, that we're in discussion to extend Coufal's deal, and that we're 'close' to an agreement with Bowen.

I saw mention of the Soucek extension at some point towards the end of the transfer window, but nothing was mentioned anywhere official; have you seen this somewhere reliable?
  • alderz said:

Not transfers, but I've just read some reports that we have apparently extended Soucek's contract to 2027, Antonio's to 2025 with an extra optional year, that we're in discussion to extend Coufal's deal, and that we're 'close' to an agreement with Bowen.

Out of those lot, Bowen is really key. Happy with Soucek and Coufal and extending for the sake of continuity. Antonio I had assumed would leave very soon, so it's an interesting one.
  • Out of those lot, Bowen is really key. Happy with Soucek and Coufal and extending for the sake of continuity. Antonio I had assumed would leave very soon, so it's an interesting one.

I wonder if the Antonio one is more so we can get a fee if/when we want to move him on next summer.

• Good news ,However what is going on with Lingard heard nothing in the last couple of weeks
  • alderz said:

I saw mention of the Soucek extension at some point towards the end of the transfer window, but nothing was mentioned anywhere official; have you seen this somewhere reliable?
    The article I read was on “Hammers.News” which in itself I would not trust, but it said that Ex had said that Soucek signed a deal a month ago but that it hasn’t been announced, for some reason. Apparently Ex has reported that Antonio has already signed too, but that it’s not been announced. I don’t know why they wouldn’t announce, and I guess it depends on how trustworthy you feel Ex is.
  • The lack of an annoucement is a bit suspect imo, I really can't see why especially as the Soucek one is pretty substantial (4 years).
  • steve said:

Good news ,However what is going on with Lingard heard nothing in the last couple of weeks

According to Ex Lingard played 75 minutes of the Ipswich friendly two weeks ago, "was good in flashes" but "faded towards the end with his fitness still needing work."

Moyes was asked about Lingard at the pre-City presser

"He's a really good character. What he needs is to get back into the correct condition, getting him playing with the quality he's got. He's a fantastic football player.

He needs to get himself to the level from two years ago. He's not played a lot of football."
  • Lingard pleaded guilty to drink driving in court today, he was caught with more than twice the legal limit of alcohol in a breath test.
  • Just a theory... Lingard obviously hasnt played much football and Moyes (when asked) has been positive about him but always refers to his condition and the need to get to a lvel of fitness (a la 2 years ago). Forest, in their mad rush to by everyones... Would they have cared about his fitness levels as much? Is that why he didnt cover himself in glory there?
  • Lingard’s now training with Gerrard in Saudi
  • he isn't our level anyway better options will be available in Jan or next summer.
  • Few years Go we would have been all over Lingard .Now we are better then that ,Apart from Maguire that is =)
  • He trained with us for a good while and never got a contract. So we can only guess that he wasnt up to one or he had a more money from Saudi offer and looked that way... Moyes consistently mentioned 'condition' so my guess is that we didnt offer him a contract

I dont actually think we need him to any degree at all. I do think though that as an option, his type of postion and playing style couldve been beneficial.
  • edited September 2023
    I think we are trying to play the style of football we were when Lingard was here, generally ceding possession but being able to counter quickly and effectively. So ideally we'd have a player that could play as well as Lingard did in his purple patch, but whether that player could be 2023 Lingard (no), or maybe someone else at the club (possibly), that's another matter.

I suspect that if Moyes thought Lingard was showing enough then we'd have offered him a contract of some sort, but it could be that he's finally realised that the ex who dumped him and who he's being pining for ever since just doesn't exist any more; they've changed and things just wouldn't be the same as they were in the past.
  • I think that Kudus can play the role that Lingard played the other year. Very quick, good at travelling with the ball and a good finisher.

I can see us setting up with JWP & Alvarez sitting, with Bowen, Kudus and Paqueta in front.
  • Perhaps, just perhaps Moyes said to Jesse go and get some warm weather training if you can arrange it and let’s see where you are in a few weeks time, just saying……
  • Perhaps, just perhaps Moyes said to Jesse go and get some warm weather training if you can arrange it and let’s see where you are in a few weeks time, just saying……

Sorry Jay, are you… I can’t believe it… are you SPECULATING?!
  • It’s allowed apparently.
  • The original Fabrizio Romano tweet, No contract offer, just training for a month

• alderz said:

Perhaps, just perhaps Moyes said to Jesse go and get some warm weather training if you can arrange it and let’s see where you are in a few weeks time, just saying……

Sorry Jay, are you… I can’t believe it… are you SPECULATING?!
    I know, I know, the cheek of it….🤣