Jesse Lingard: Yes or No

This discussion was created from comments split from: Summer Transfer Window 2023.

Comments

• edited August 2023
    I think we should get Lingard. We are hardly stocked up with attacking midfielders who work behind a striker. At least we dont have to pay a large fee to Utd for him this time. He's only a bit older than when previously playing for us and there's definitely a place in the squad for a player of his traits. Initially a while back I was just kidding but I can see the merits of signing him for a year and seeing how it goes. Moyes definitely still likes him IMO If he needed to train somewhere and keep fit surely he could've asked Utd and they would've been cool with it as he was there a very long time. I think its significant he is training with us and we're hardly likely to give him a deal if he doesnt do the business in training are we? Feels like a no lose scenario
  • I agree, he is costing only wages if that deal is correct and gets a window to put himself in to earn a contract. In theory that is the most motivating scenario you could have. I doubt his wages would be huge and only committed to three months.
  • He was pretty bad at Forest when he did play ,And was only on a season contract there ..Think he would have tried harder to get a longer contract ,So its a no from me
  • edited August 2023
    Bazshuayi said:

I think we should get Lingard. We are hardly stocked up with attacking midfielders who work behind a striker. At least we dont have to pay a large fee to Utd for him this time. He's only a bit older than when previously playing for us .

He's 2 years older than when he last played here, 2 years in which he played 355 minutes in the PL for Man Utd, and 927 minutes in the PL for Forest, although only only 60 of those minutes were this year.

So in 2 years he's played the equivalent of about 14 matches in the PL, and only two thirds of a match in the last 7 and a half months.

We all know he hit a huge purple patch when he was here before, that he's never come close to replicating either before or afterwards. Without that spell, on the basis of what he's done in the two years since, it's very difficult to argue that he deserves a place in our squad imo, even if he is very cheap.

I'm not keen at all tbh, he's had two chances to come and turned us down both times, but I can see it happening the way this transfer window is going. Any deal we consider offering should be heavily performance based though imo.

• Think its quite damming on where we are at that people actually think giving Lingard even a short term deal is a good idea

Outside his loan at us he's been exposed as not good enough and given Forest thought he was rubbish I think Lingard is more concerned about Tik Tok than he is football
  • Lingards a hard no for me. He's had enough chances now.
    It would be disappointing to be linked with players like Kudus and only getting lingard on a free.
  • edited August 2023
    Lingard, on form, is a top player. Would easily displace Benrahma in our current 11. It’s a risk worth taking & at low wages & a one-year deal, a pretty low risk.

We all knew that the move to Forest would be a waste of time & so it proved. They signed him as a ‘glamour’ signing to make their return to the PL.
  • Lukerz said:

Lingard, on form, is a top player. Would easily displace Benrahma in our current 11. It’s a risk worth taking & at low wages & a one-year deal, a pretty low risk.

Lingard is not better than Benrahma

If Benrahma contract expired on the 1st July, he wouldn't be a free agent on the 17th August he'd be at another Prem team

6 goals + 3 assists last year when we were awful, 8 goals + 6 assists the year before when he shared minutes with Fornals

Lingards loan move to us has completely warped peoples opinion on how good this guy is

He was a meme for years of fans calling him a prospect when he was in his late 20's
  • Lingard is done. As soon as he left West Ham to go back to United to sit on their bench and then move to Forest straight after. The guys career is done, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad he isn't good enough. He is a championship player that we need to avoid signing.

The club should not be handing out favours to players who literally had no interest to play for the club with several chances given. He made his decision and it backfired, let him go play at his level, the championship.

The club should be focused on getting players of the calibre needed to push us up the table not to have a 3 - 6 month jolly up creating tik-toks.
  • Still a no from me. That form didnt last long. He did nothing for Forest. If he was that hungry to do well, he would have stuck with us in the first place.
  • edited August 2023
    So nobody thinks Lingard can do a job in Europe, Carabao, FA Cup, off the bench at all?

Personally I don’t really hold grudges. He was free to make whatever decision he wanted after his loan with us. He decided to go back to Manchester for a bit & then sign for Forest, for whatever reason. It was his right.
  • Lingard is a definite ‘no’ for me, too. Turned us down twice, the second time for a one-year deal at newly-promoted Forest (i.e money). And his few months with us is the only time he’s ever been that player, either before or since.
  • Lukerz said:

So nobody thinks Lingard can do a job in Europe, Carabao, FA Cup, off the bench at all?

Any player "can do a job" doesn't mean we should buy them

He has zero ambition and I anticipate zero hunger (I mean he's left it this late to start training properly)

We shoukd be targeted guys like Kudus to push Benrahma to the bench, not guys past it like Lingard

• Kudos & Lingard would push Benrahma down to 3.
  • edited August 2023
    Lingard isn't pushing anyone down.

The club have money to spend to bring in replacements that are better than the starting 11. Lingard doesn't replace anyone he uses up a squad place better suited to a young player or someone else who will contribute more. If the board and Moyes can actually agree on someone.
  • Its not even about holding grudges. He didnt do anything last year to push Benrahma out.
    Its likely that he will sign, as Moyes obviously loves him. So we just have to hope he does show some form again and stops the stupid videos 😂
  • Lukerz said:

Kudos & Lingard would push Benrahma down to 3.

No they don't
  • edited August 2023
    Agree with Luke, personally think he can offer our team something the rest cannot.
    Perhaps its a Moyes thing, some players and managers just click, I'd take him on a short term basis and see how he does, if he can prove his worth, IMO Benrahma is SO inconsistent, out of all our players he seems to drive me mad the worst, no footballing brain IMO, just IMO mind....
  • edited August 2023

Lingard isn't pushing anyone down.

The club have money to spend to bring in replacements that are better than the starting 11. Lingard doesn't replace anyone he uses up a squad place better suited to a young player or someone else who will contribute more. If the board and Moyes can actually agree on someone.

At the moment we have Anang, Coventry, Mubama, Cornet, Ings on the bench. Jesse has done more for us in 6 months than all of those combined. He would easily take a place on our subs bench.
  • mike said:

Maybe we should start a new thread called "Jesse Lingard" because it seems as though that's the only player we are talking about on here.

Thats probably because he looks like the only potential signing that is close at the moment 😂
    I still feel like we need another CM. But id be surprised if we got another one in unless Paqueta goes. We also need a LB and ST.
    I doubt Wahi will be an option if the reports about him are true. But obviously we cant go into that on here.
    What positions would people want filling for this to be a successful transfer window?
  • Lukerz said:

So, in order to stop the transfer thread becoming a sole discussion about Lingard…

Currently training with club & rumours of a short-term contract.

Simple question:
    Would you take Jesse Lingard back?

It would be great if you can start your post with a simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ so I can tally the scores.

And would be great to hear why you think what you do & are there any conditions you would be happy to sign him under?

• Lukerz said:

Personally I don’t really hold grudges. He was free to make whatever decision he wanted after his loan with us. He decided to go back to Manchester for a bit & then sign for Forest, for whatever reason. It was his right.

For me personally, I don't really care that he rejected us, but I do think the fact that he did reject us last summer means that a lot of fans will immediately be on his back. The guy is clearly a confidence player, and I think he would not get much slack at all, and that could have a detrimental effect on him.

Aside from that, I do think he could "do a job", but I also think that Divin Mubama could "do a job" in those competitions also, and having someone like Lingard around is likely to impact his game time.

Lingard is a definite ‘no’ for me, too. Turned us down twice, the second time for a one-year deal at newly-promoted Forest (i.e money). And his few months with us is the only time he’s ever been that player, either before or since.

On this, I don't think it's strictly accurate to say he turned us down twice. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think we ever had an offer accepted by Man Utd? At the time, Solskjaer said he wanted him as part of side and didn't want to sell him. Could he have pushed harder? Maybe. But my recollection of the Summer 2021 window was that we didn't move on to other targets quickly enough, rather than him rejecting us.
  • alderz said:

Aside from that, I do think he could "do a job", but I also think that Divin Mubama could "do a job" in those competitions also, and having someone like Lingard around is likely to impact his game time.

This is the key point to me. We all regularly bemoan the lack of opportunity Moyes appears to give to our 'better prospects', bringing Lingard back will only make this even more likely.

I think Lingard was terrific for us for a few months, but towards the end of his spell became anonymous. This along with the way he appeared to mess us about before going to Forest means he would really have to shine immediately if he was taken back.

I am not 100% against, but I would rather Mubama was given the opportunity ...
  • No from me. Primarily because if we took him the club would recruit one less younger player. Didn't like his interview either
  • It's a no from me! As much as I enjoyed his short time with us, it's still a no. Sign him on a pay per goal or nothing
  • edited August 2023
    The reality is, if he’s better than an academy player, he should be ahead of them.
  • edited August 2023
    Yes for me, as said, if it's a short term contract and favourable terms for club, let's see if Moyes can get the best out of him once again....
  • Lukerz said:

The reality is, if he’s better than an academy player, he should be ahead of them.

Only if you're only interested in right now. The reality might be that for David Moyes that's the case, as his job is on the line and he has to care about the here and now above all else, but the reality for me as a fan is different. I care about the long term success of the club, the academy and players progressing into the first team, and signing Lingard could potentially be a barrier to those things.
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

Only if you're only interested in right now. The reality might be that for David Moyes that's the case, as his job is on the line and he has to care about the here and now above all else, but the reality for me as a fan is different. I care about the long term success of the club, the academy and players progressing into the first team, and signing Lingard could potentially be a barrier to those things.
    While I agree, a question is there any similar player to Lingard from the U23's that has been on fringes, I don't know, Divin seems more of a centre forward than Lingard type, so who would Lingard be stopping from progressing, just a question....