Football is back! Premier League opening weekend: other matches.

Comments

• I know. I'm rather surprised. But can't cheer on Newcastle, so I suppose I've gone into underdog mode.
  • Bad looking injure to Mings
  • steve said:

Bad looking injure to Mings

Had to be, I've included him in my FF squad.
  • There have been quite a lot of injuries, don't you think? Now and in pre-season..more than usual?
  • Man, would've loved for us to get Diaby, he looks a real asset and given Benrahma is upgradeable and Paqueta is wanted, could've been someone we should've been after

• SKY having a right mare placing their team on the pitch. On the bright side I can't hear a word they're saying. 😁
  • Villa, how did they get 7th last year.

They must have been much more than the sum of their parts.

• Should have been all over Harvey Barnes =)
  • If we had pulled our finger out think we may have got him
  • edited August 2023
    Its a tough one because I am assuming he knew of Newcastles interest and that wouldve been hard to turn down compared to us.

Also, Diaby cost a lot of money so I doubt we'd have waanted to pay that for an attacking player when we were allegedly looking for a defensive midfielder or two
  • The first few weeks of the season are great entertainment. New and unfamiliar players, rules and managers. Leading to more confusion, goals and internet meltdown. My kind of football. 🤩
  • Villa signed Diaby three weeks ago (£43m plus £8.9m add ons) while we were busy trying to find a replacement for Rice

The news that City had made a bid for Paqueta only came out 5 days ago

Crystal ball?

Villa might be this season's "West Ham", qualified for Europe without much depth, losing Buendia (41 apps 22/23) before the season started and Mings before half time.

MotD, Pelly Ruddock from Conference to the Premier League, shame he had such a mare

Somebody mentioned that Brighton seem to have an endless supply of South American kids so its rather amusing that the two new faces in the starting XI were signed from Watford (Pedro) and Liverpool (Milner) while two of the goals were scored by an Ivorian kid they signed from Denmark and a kid from Ireland
  • Same old Spurs 2-1 down
  • Spurs go from 1 up to 2-1 down in the first half at Brentford, no-one likes to see that 😂🤣😂.
  • 11 minutes added to the first half. Admittedly there was a stoppage for a clash of heads and a close-ish VAR check, and a VAR suggestion of a penalty, but this is the first match I've watched this weekend with this sort of a number; it's like the World Cup all over again.
  • Long enough for Spurs to equalise
  • Lots of yellow cards over the weekend .Not sure what Man U and Liverpool will do now they can't surround the ref =)
  • steve said:

Lots of yellow cards over the weekend .Not sure what Man U and Liverpool will do now they can't surround the ref =)

They'll do it anyway and get away with it, because they're Man Utd and Liverpool.
  • I dont think Liverpool do it that much compared to other sides. Just sayin' :)
  • We got four yellows. I recollect we got forty three last season so that's 9% of that total in one game.
  • Maguire on the bench for Man U ,Lets hope he stays there for the season
  • IronHerb said:

We got four yellows. I recollect we got forty three last season so that's 9% of that total in one game.

But the rules have changed, so not comparing like with like.
  • Am I being biased? Or is this ref letting Reds get away with just that little bit more?
  • Watching Dawson play ,I still miss him
  • He's having a stormer!
  • Run out of wine MrsGrey =)
  • MrsGrey said:

Am I being biased? Or is this ref letting Reds get away with just that little bit more?

Yep. Not even a VAR for a clear foul by Onana
  • How is that not a pen? GK takes out a player in the penalty area. It's a foul. Ref's having a shocker. Then he books the manager lol
  • edited August 2023
    Absolute joke of a decision goes Man Utd's way, as usual. What a way to start the season.

Absolutely no defense for that.