Bayer 04 Leverkusen v West Ham United - Saturday, 5th August (12:30pm)

13»

Comments

• Penalty to Leverkusen.
  • And people think Maguire doesn’t improve this awful defence 😂
  • We've brought on Fornals and Cornet for Benrahma and Bowen. Given that Fornals and Benrahma have basically been competing for the left forward position for two seasons, and that Cornet, like Bowen is pacey and left footed, it seems odd that Cornet is playing on the left and Fornals on the right where he's generally been fairly ineffective whenever he's had to fill in for Bowen.
  • edited August 2023
    Lukerz said:

And people think Maguire doesn’t improve this awful defence 😂

He might improve it (although it's not certain by any means given the mistakes he's capable of), although I don't think today is a fair representation as we've been dreadful across the park, but it's the amount he'd cost.
  • Passed me by, but we've now got Ben Johnson playing left wing back.

This squad needs some serious work.
  • Not sure why Coventry is on the pitch, no way he should feature for us this season. He's only got a year left on his contract I believe, surely time he was moved on.
  • Not sure why Coventry is on the pitch, no way he should feature for us this season. He's only got a year left on his contract I believe, surely time he was moved on.

Cos we have no other options
  • I think Slacker’s relegation thread is going to get a lot of hits.
  • Lukerz said:

Not sure why Coventry is on the pitch, no way he should feature for us this season. He's only got a year left on his contract I believe, surely time he was moved on.

Cos we have no other options
    So leave Downes on, he needs all the game time he can get, especially as it's looking likely he'll start against Bournemouth.
  • I think Slacker’s relegation thread is going to get a lot of hits.

Bingo!🎉

• Well, we only lost the second half 1-0. A better performance, but still didn't lay a glove on Leverkusen.

Far too many holes in the squad though going into the new season. Light at left back, and centre back, massively light in midfield and we could do with more attacking threat, too.
  • Well, we only lost the second half 1-0. A better performance, but still didn't lay a glove on Leverkusen.

Far too many holes in the squad though going into the new season. Light at left back, and centre back, massively light in midfield and we could do with more attacking threat, too.

Apart from that that though……

• Slacker said:

Well, we only lost the second half 1-0. A better performance, but still didn't lay a glove on Leverkusen.

Apart from that that though……

I'd take a new 'keeper and a right back.
  • I'd take a new manager. The team were lifeless and I would not mind betting they are fed up with Moyes approach to games.
  • If Bayer Leverkusen are the level we will meet in the Europa.....God help us, please 🙏
  • Reminder - got some negative manager vibes on this thread -> https://whu606.com/discussion/11823/first-casualty-of-the-23-24-sack-race

Can we keep this one for match-related discussion, please.

• oops - sorry
  • No worries. Just trying to avoid misery creeping everywhere :anguished:
  • Hadn’t known but their plane was cancelled yesterday so they had to rise at 5 am today and travel this morning to the game. Maybe just maybe that’s why they started so poorly especially as it was an early kick off too.
  • Passed me by, but we've now got Ben Johnson playing left wing back.

Might just be because they needed to get him minutes on the pitch, as a priority. He's only just got back from his hols.
  • Not a good feeling for the coming season. WHU got thrashed 4-0 today by Bayer Leverkusen, after the 3-1 loss last week against Stade Rennais. we can't defend, create or score. It wasn't just the defeats, it is the manner of the defeats - no fight, pride, guile. I m hoping that they are saving it all for next week.

Even if we get new signings, Moyes' model is not to give them a decent game for another month. They may well not be match fit.
  • If Bayer Leverkusen are the level we will meet in the Europa.....God help us, please 🙏

I doubt in the group stages. We pretty much cruised through those last time around. We will need to improve but hopefully have time before we play this level of opposition
  • With the current personnel, the only side we can currently field is:

Fabianski
    Kehrer - Zouma - Aguerd
    Coufal - Paqueta - Soucek - Emerson
    Bowen - Antonio - Benrahma
  • We played 4-4-2 in the first few games of pre season, and I think that’s a good option for us.

Fabianski; Kehrer Zouma Aguerd Emerson; Bowen Soucek Paqueta Fornals; Ings Antonio
  • Always remember when we lost 3-5 at home to Bournemouth final pre-season game going into the 2020/21 season. Finished 6th.
  • Lukerz said:

Always remember when we lost 3-5 at home to Bournemouth final pre-season game going into the 2020/21 season. Finished 6th.

Phew! That’s alright then.