Bayer 04 Leverkusen v West Ham United - Saturday, 5th August (12:30pm)

edited August 2023 in Match Threads
Final friendly in what will be a really tough test.

I’d go with what I’d like to see against Bournemouth (current available players).

Fabianski (c)
Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
Paqueta - Soucek
Bowen - Fornals - Benrahma
Mubama

Areola, Ogbonna, Kehrer, Johnson, Downes, Coventry, Cornet, Antonio, Ings

Live on whufc.com if you have a live account.

I don’t see any need to play Scamacca as we negotiate his sale, Antonio won’t be fit enough to start but will need minutes & Soucek, Paqueta & Fornals looks the best current midfield to me.

Comments

• Can't quite believe we're going into our last pre-season game with a weaker team than we had in Prague.

A nine man bench right now, and for Bournemouth (assuming Scamacca and Vlasic are going), would presumably look like:

Areola, Johnson, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Downes, Coventry, Cornet, Antonio, Ings.
  • It’s not a bad starting 11 though, is it?
  • edited August 2023
    Lukerz said:

It’s not a bad starting 11 though, is it?

Not bad, but weaker than last season.

Which isn't a great place to be this deep into the transfer window, IMO.
  • edited August 2023
    Would like to see Downes for Soucek but otherwise would think something like that makes sense. Maybe more likely that it is Downes and Soucek and one of Benrahma and Fornals is benched?
  • Think were going to find out Soucek is going to be our new captian so fully expect him to start all/most matches...
  • @jay_in_cpt, and there was EXETER making us all try to be positive this morning and you post that about Soucek! :p
  • @jay_in_cpt, and there was EXETER making us all try to be positive this morning and you post that about Soucek! :p

But I’m allowed to on this thread, this is the reality thread 😳
  • Can't see Mubama starting ahead of Ings at Bournemouth, so I wouldn't expect him to here either.
  • Unless it's nailed on that Scamacca is leaving I'd be starting him, personally. He is (IMO) the best striker at the club, and I want to see more of him.

I like Lukerz team, but I would switch Mubama for Scamacca, Paqueta and Fornals, and then Downes for Fornals.
  • edited August 2023
    I think Paqueta has the bulk & physicality to play CM & he dispossess quite a lot of players according to the stats. I’d like to see Fornals as a 10 & Soucek as a proper DM, Paqueta linking the two.
  • Lukerz said:

I think Paqueta has the bulk & physicality to play CM & he dispossess quite a lot of players according to the stats. I’d like to see Fornals as a 10 & Soucek as a proper DM, Paqueta linking the two.

• Is the game on tv anywhere
  • edited August 2023
    Bayer finished 6th and got to the Europa League semis after finishing 3rd in the Champions League group stage

Not a great deal of transfer activity apart from last season's top scorer Moussa Diaby going to Villa for £52m and Granit Xhaka joining for £21m

And obviously I start work at 1pm...
  • edited August 2023
    Team:

Fabianski
    Kehrer - Zouma - Ogbonna (c) - Emerson
    Soucek - Downes - Paqueta
    Bowen - Mubama - Benrahma

Areola, Anang, Aguerd, Coufal, Johnson, Coventry, Fornals, Cornet, Antonio, Ings
  • edited August 2023
    Ogbonna being named captain, an insight to our next captain ( till of course Moyes get's his main man Maguire )... I thought he'd go for Soucek personally....??
  • edited August 2023
    Like that Mubama has been given the chance to lead the line. Surprised Aguerd is on the bench but other than that it’s probably our best 11. I’d like to see Fornals in the midfield 3 but seems it will be Soucek & Downes for Bournemouth.
  • Link to the stream on Youtube:

• Bu

Ogbonna being named captain, an insight to our next captain ( till of course Moyes get's his main man Maguire )... I thought he'd go for Soucek personally....??

Oggy, Cresswell and Fab were vice captains last season, surely if Moyes thought Tommy was captain material he'd ahve picked him as one of the three

Aguerd got the armband at Rennes and Ex tipped him to get the job back in February
  • Keep an eye on no.22 Victor Boniface, 22yo signed from Belgian side Union Saint-Gilloise for €20m. Scored 22 in 55 games last season including one against Bayer in the Europa League quarter finals. Good in the air by all accounts,
  • 1-0 Leverkusen.

• Tah, a CB, is playing for Leverkusen; we were linked early in the window as he had a relatively low release clause (since expired). Still a possibility though, as price might not be much highrt and likely better payment terms a possibility now.
  • Come on, someone start The Relegation Thread.😉
  • edited August 2023

Bu

Oggy, Cresswell and Fab were vice captains last season, surely if Moyes thought Tommy was captain material he'd ahve picked him as one of the three

Aguerd got the armband at Rennes and Ex tipped him to get the job back in February
    Think the fact that those 3 have been at us for a long time, but all coming to end of their careers with us ( well Cresswell seems to want away and Og and Fab, surely no more than this season left in them )

Aguerd was chosen for sentimental reasons I reckon against his old team ( wasn't it his old team ? )...but guess we will find out in next week and IMO it all depends if Maguire arrives or not....
  • 10 minutes in and barely seen the ball. Leverkusen with a couple of good chances before the goal.
  • Can see the stark difference between the two teams Leverkusen hunt in packs and press hard. West Ham have Downes pressing and thats about it.
  • Can see the stark difference between the two teams Leverkusen hunt in packs and press hard. West Ham have Downes pressing and thats about it.

Very noticeable. We're getting no time on the ball whatsoever.
  • I'm surprised at how much we seem to be trying to bring the ball out from the back.
  • This is taken from Vavel website doing game, sounded familiar......

"15 minutes and only Bayer Leverkusen play. West Ham still trying to get into the match."
  • 2-0

Worryingly easy, that