West Ham’s next captain

13»

Comments

• Clearly hoping they are like buses!
  • IronHerb said:

Sometimes Moyes just doesn't read the room, and drops a clanger. Zouma as captain is a PR disaster. People were getting bored with booing him (like they got bored with taking the knee) but now they've been reminded and can boo him and the club as well.

I've not seen any reaction to it.
    IronHerb said:

Sometimes Moyes just doesn't read the room, and drops a clanger. Zouma as captain is a PR disaster. People were getting bored with booing him (like they got bored with taking the knee) but now they've been reminded and can boo him and the club as well.

There was loud booing every time Zouma had the ball..
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

There was loud booing every time Zouma had the ball..
    No, reaction to Zouma being captain on Saturday.
  • JWP hoping to get a call up for the 2024 Euros, unlikely if he's playing in the Championship
  • JWP hoping to get a call up for the 2024 Euros, unlikely if he's playing in the Championship

I think that boat has sailed given the players England currently has available.

• He played for England less than a year ago, so I don't think it's completely out of the realms of possibility. Central midfield is probably one of the weaker areas of the England team. Phillips is permanently injured, Gallagher has yet to consistently get into the Chelsea team, and Henderson has moved to Saudi Arabia, so I think there are pretty big question marks over a few of the available options.
  • IronHerb said:

No one compares to Nobes in the league. If he was Soton's Noble he would've stayed there.

No. Like Rice, JWP has joined West Ham to win trophies. 😎
    I thought Rice joined Arsenal to win trophies. ;)
  • edited August 2023
    Personally, if we accept Fab, Oggy & Cress will not be in the side too often, I’d be tempted to give it to Souček or Bowen. Longest serving players along with Fornals & Antonio from what would be our first 11 (currently).

I think it’s brave to give it to a new signing, although JWP seems more than capable. Coufal, Zouma, Aguerd, Paqueta all look more than capable of being a captain, but I’d argue the latter two haven’t been here long enough.

I’d also be quite happy with Zouma.
  • Depending on who we still sign, but with Maguire looking perhaps unlikely I can’t really see a better fit than JWP, plenty of experience and know how IMO…
  • edited August 2023
    Bazshuayi said:

I dont think an animal abuser should be a captain of West Ham

Read this, journalist Henry Winter, think he's quite respected as far as journalists go ??? agrees re Zouma, that he should not be the captain of WHUFC.......

https://www.hammers.news/news/john-terry-blasts-henry-winter-for-pathetic-dig-at-west-ham-star-kurt-zouma-after-what-he-noticed-before-chelsea-clash/
  • Henry Winter is "chief football writer" for the Times, joined the Independent in 1986, movd to the Telegraph in 1994 and then to the Times in 2015 so he's been around a bit,

Won sports writer of the year 2016

Can't say I've ever read anything by him so can't judge the value of his opinion

Zouma has apologised for the cat (to the cat?) so if Moyes and the other players are okay with him as captain then as far as I am concerned that's all that matters
  • More than happy for him to be captain. Unless we rule out anybody who has made a mistake.
  • edited August 2023

Henry Winter is "chief football writer" for the Times, joined the Independent in 1986, movd to the Telegraph in 1994 and then to the Times in 2015 so he's been around a bit,

Won sports writer of the year 2016

Can't say I've ever read anything by him so can't judge the value of his opinion

Zouma has apologised for the cat (to the cat?) so if Moyes and the other players are okay with him as captain then as far as I am concerned that's all that matters

While he certainly would not be my choice as captain I can’t really disagree with what you wrote above 👍🏻
  • edited August 2023

Zouma has apologised for the cat (to the cat?)

And now I can't get rid of the mental image of Zouma down on his hands and knees saying "sorry" to the cat...
  • Lukerz said:

More than happy for him to be captain. Unless we rule out anybody who has made a mistake.

There are mistakes then there are mistakes. I've seen comments online about how Mason Greenwood should be reintegrated by Man Utd because he just made a mistake. I think this sort of logic takes us down a slippery slope, IMO.
  • Zouma has admitted he was wrong and has apologised

Greenwood hasn't admitted to anything or apologised

Judge each case by the facts
  • I am not judging either. I am just saying that logic of "unless we rule out anybody who has made a mistake" is flawed.
  • Abusing an innocent pet is not a mistake. Who doesn't know its wrong? Zouma would've known this before it happened. If by some miracle he didnt know then what does that also say about him.

I will never be cool with him being Captain
  • Not saying I disagree with your point, but people know speeding is wrong, still many do above 31mph in a 30.
  • Lukerz said:

Not saying I disagree with your point, but people know speeding is wrong, still many do above 31mph in a 30.

Sorry Luke but that comparison IMO is lame, kicking a cat and doing 1mph over the speed limit is not on the same level, no way…. IMO
    👍🏻
  • edited August 2023
    It’s about knowing what’s wrong, and doing it anyway, which was the original point. It may also result in running over a cat, especially those who have done 45 in a 40 or 55 in a 50.

If you know speeding is wrong, yet regularly exceed it, then you can probably sympathise with Zouma’s naive misjudgement.
  • edited August 2023
    Luke in all reality many ,many people go over the speed limit, we’ve all done it I’m pretty sure of that, but I’d be amazed if ANY people on here have abused an animal, there’s no comparison whatsoever IMO there’s NO WAY I would ever sympathise with his choice….