West Ham’s next captain

So with Declan Rice almost gone from the club who do you think the captain’s armband should be passed to. My choice would be Aguerd or Paqueta. Thoughts please.

Comments

• I don't think Paqueta can even speak much English can he? I'd say Aguerd
  • The amazing replacement we will for Rice

Bowen for his last minute goal

There's not really a stand out canddidate. If Cresswell was staying/more involved if staying I'd probably pick him
  • edited June 2023
    Cresswell - current vice captain
    Fabianski - current third captain

Fabianski would be my guess if Emerson becomes a regular, if not I imagine it could be somebody new we sign. Aguerd seems the only other possible candidate, possibly Soucek.
  • Cresswell, then Aguerd
  • Soucek Captains the Czech republic I think so would be a good candidate.
  • edited June 2023
    The main problem is that most of the likely candidates really shouldn't be starters in the PL team; Fabianski (not than I'm a fan of keepers being captain), Cresswell, Soucek, none of them should be in our strongest 11, and the first 2 probably shouldn't even be at the club after next season.

We could do with a longer term option imo, so Aguerd is my preference of players currently at the club, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Cresswell, he'd be a very Moyes selection.
  • I'm not a fan of a newbie being captain. Need someone whose been at the club a while, knows the ethos. Also that's been around the block a few times, calm head, lots of experience...
  • I wonder if Dec did any succession planning, in the way that Nobes did, and Nobby before him?
  • Good shout.
  • After his cat issues I really can't see the club making Zouma captain tbh.
  • That's all water under the bridge.
  • MrsGrey said:

I'm not a fan of a newbie being captain. Need someone whose been at the club a while, knows the ethos. Also that's been around the block a few times, calm head, lots of experience...

Nolan didn't do too bad (initially anyway) when he came straight in as captain.

Unfortunately the lack of a natural successor to Rice as captain is a worry in that 2 of my worst potential signings might be more likely for Moyes if he feels we need a new captain from outside the club; Maquire (absolutely my no.1 worst signing unless it's on a free) and JWP (very likely to be hugely over-priced if we sign him).
  • True, about Nolan.

I think he was a bit of an exception to the rule though because he'd been captain at his previous club and in fact he was bought with the very intention of him being g captain. Sam had said as much - the acquisition of Nolan was one of the key strategies for promotion.
  • The problem a new arrival has is that each player has a different personality and occupies a different place within the team dynamic, a new player has no idea upon arrival what that is so is massively disadvantaged.

There are exceptions as If you had bought Roy Keane, he is Captain, John Terry the same and Nolan probably fell into that category also. I can't recall if Lucas Neil came straight in as Captain or not but I recall him being a good one.
  • Aguerd for me
  • But then again I think we all know it will be Maquire when he signs =) =) =)
  • I can't recall if Lucas Neil came straight in as Captain or not but I recall him being a good one.

I think Neill came in in the January, and was captain the following season.
  • I think Neill came in in the January, and was captain the following season.

Correct. He took over from Nigel Reo-Coker who was far too young to be captain

I know I'm repeating again but Noble talks a lot about being captain in his autobiography and its a lot more than wearing an armband.

The captain has to be a leader on and off the pitch so unless someone has a lot of personality it needs to be a player who has been with the club for a few years. If we sign Ward-Prowse or Maguire then its going to take them a while to settle in before they can take on the captain's job.

Apart from Oggy and Cressers the only player who has been captain at any level is Tommy Soucek
  • Vlad. If he says jump then you jump.
  • I suppose there's the possibility ( seems to be becoming more of a thing) to distinguish between club captain and match day captain. And there's the whole ' leadership group ' approach as well.

If we do have a lot of changes in personnel it might be appropriate to move to a different model of captaincy....
  • Soucek for me.
  • I have no issue with Soucek being captain. More an issue with him being in the first team

It’s obvious we have a great team spirit, the team should pick the captain.
  • IronHerb said:

Vlad. If he says jump then you jump.

Coufal was captain at FC Slovan Liberec 2017-18 season and once for Czech Rep against Estonia in 2021 (Soucek was on the bench)
  • Soucek for me.

Soucek spent most of last season running around like a headless chicken and that's from watching every game at the LS so he definitely wouldn't be my choice.
    I'd even go as far to say that if he got transferred this season i wouldn't be unhappy.

• edited July 2023
    Soucek's English isn't great, not sure how well he'd communicate with the team.
  • Cresswell or Ogbonna I reckon. The issue though will be that we’ll need another new captain in a year or so.
  • Old curmudgeon as I am doesn't a captain have to be in the starting line up, only realistic candidate I have seen on here so far is Aguerd!
  • edited July 2023

Old curmudgeon as I am doesn't a captain have to be in the starting line up, only realistic candidate I have seen on here so far is Aguerd!

Well, we could have someone such as Cresswell who is captain when he plays, and then someone else is the captain when he doesn't (similar to Noble's last season when Rice was captain in Noble's absense). At least in that situation Noble was already the incumbant captain, I'm not that keen on appointing someone new who is unlikely to be a guaranteed starter (injuries and some small rotation excepted), so it really does narrow it down to Aguerd imo, but I suspect we could see Cresswell unless (please no) we bring in Maguire 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱.
  • No one for Bowen?