West Ham’s next captain

Comments

• No one for Bowen?

He's busy doing other things.......
  • No one for Bowen?

I was thinking that, but he doesn’t strike me as a leader
  • No one for Bowen?

I’m not in favour of attacking players being captain, I feel that the role needs to come from defence or midfield.

• alderz said:

No one for Bowen?

I was thinking that, but he doesn’t strike me as a leader
    I thought the same, didn’t even think of him at first but just wondered what others thought.

He’s one of the few nailed on starters who have been here a while and maybe captaincy could bring something else out of him.

If he was playing more, I’d say Fornals might be one of the better candidates.
    DJ Hammer said:

No one for Bowen?

I’m not in favour of attacking players being captain, I feel that the role needs to come from defence or midfield.

I think I tend to agree but that leaves only Zouma and Aguerd who have really nailed down their places.
  • Soucek's English isn't great, not sure how well he'd communicate with the team.

Harry Kane manages somehow 😏
  • I reckon we’ll sign Ward-Prowse, make Cresswell captain, Fabianski vice captain, and then JWP takes over next year.
  • See who we bring in and possibly make one of them captain; particularly if they have previous experience. I cannot see anyone in our current squad being suitable at this time.
  • The problem with Cresswell, Fabianski or Ogbonna is I don't think any of them are likely to be regular starters next season and we're going to need someone on the pitch to do the job

I can't find any record of Aguerd taking the armband
  • There are two jobs here. One is being the guy who maintains the dressing room standards, helps players settle in, is the leader. Then there's the guy who wears the armband on the pitch. Ideally it's the same person, but it doesn't need to be.

For me, you can't have a new person come in and be the one who does the off the pitch leadership, unless you want a complete reset of standards / culture at the club (i.e. Nolan coming in). I think Cresswell will be that guy for the off the field stuff.

On the pitch, I still think Fabianski will be #1 this season so it'll probably be him, but if it's not I can see Aguerd or Zouma being given the armband.
  • I think if Ogbonna stays he'd be a good candidate for club captain. Granted, he'd need replacing this time next year, but he's a senior pro and very well respected within the club so would be a good option for that role.

On the pitch, I think it matters less, actually. I didn't think Rice was that good a captain, to be honest. He led from the front in terms of his performances, but there was too much arm-throwing and head-shaking for my liking.

We'll need a few on-field captains this season. Rice played every game in every competition, but the names being suggested on this thread probably won't. Aguerd and Zouma are probably the likeliest two based on that consideration.
  • How about pioneering the first AI captain...Buster Meltdown
  • So are we thinking Fab is Captain tomorrow then either Maguire or Ward-Prowse take over once they’re signed?
  • So are we thinking Fab is Captain tomorrow then either Maguire or Ward-Prowse take over once they’re signed?

That is something that crossed my mind as well.
  • I think Soucek will be captain tomorrow. If Maguire joins he will probably become captain.
  • If Fab is still starter, then I think he's a good shout for captain.

Soucek's English still seemed very broken when he spoke during the victory parade, I'm not sure how well he's going to communicate to the team.

I hate the idea of a new signing coming in and becoming captain. I think they should be proving they've earned their places in the starting line up let alone as captain. Maguire, in particular, needs to prove he's better than Zouma and Aguerd.
  • edited August 2023
    I agree with most of that (I don't like keepers as captains), I'm just saying what I think will happen, rather than what I want to happen. I personally would give it to Aguerd.
  • I’d leave it as Fab. Maguire, JWP won’t lose their leadership ability overnight. Ex has confirmed it will be Maguire if he signs.
  • Was surprised to see Zouma handed the role yesterday, but with Fab and Ogbonna not starting and Cresswell gone awol as such suppose apart from Soucek not any other choice IMO, think he’ll end up vice captain to Maguire if he should come….
  • I dont think an animal abuser should be a captain of West Ham
  • edited August 2023
    Not seen anyone look less a captain. Managers decision making looks off already.

https://fb.watch/mowoeD3luW/

Edit: refers to Spurs, not WHU)
  • What happened? I fell asleep during the waffling...
  • Sometimes Moyes just doesn't read the room, and drops a clanger. Zouma as captain is a PR disaster. People were getting bored with booing him (like they got bored with taking the knee) but now they've been reminded and can boo him and the club as well.
  • Sometimes Moyes just doesn't read the room, and drops a clanger. Zouma as captain is a PR disaster. People were getting bored with booing him (like they got bored with taking the knee) but now they've been reminded and can boo him and the club as well.

I've not seen any reaction to it.
  • MrsGrey said:

What happened? I fell asleep during the waffling...

we will have no waffling here..
  • Ironduke said:

MrsGrey said:

What happened? I fell asleep during the waffling...

we will have no waffling here..
    WHAT - Not even Belgian chocolate waffles
  • I assume Fab/Oggy will be main current choice but neither play. That only really leaves a new signing as a potential captain if Moyes has played his card with Zouma from our current crop.
  • well, Now thats something else, Belgium chocolate...probably the best I have ever tasted,
  • So JWP must be a candidate? We've pinched Sotons Nobes and made him our new Nobes (with better set piece delivery of course)
  • No one compares to Nobes in the league. If he was Soton's Noble he would've stayed there.
  • No one compares to Nobes in the league. If he was Soton's Noble he would've stayed there.

No. Like Rice, JWP has joined West Ham to win trophies. 😎