Leicester v West Ham, 28th May, 4.30pm

Comments

• Lanzini on for Downes.
  • 6 minutes added, 10 mins at Everton.
  • Knocking it around like we're 2-1 up, not behind. No real intent to get the equaliser.

A nothing performance in a nothing game, really. Obviously expecting a big step up for the Fiorentina game.
  • Going to need to be x100 times better in the final
  • 20 losses in the league though is crazy. Going to be a huge job over summer.
  • Didn’t think we were too bad today given the circumstances
  • Two of those losses were against Leicester so we did our best to keep them up.
    Rice’s last game was disappointing
  • To bad we lost and Everton still stay up
  • At least it should wipe that smug smile off Lineker’s face
  • So we end the season having lost 20 of our 38 games. 13 away defeats which is a PL record for us, apparently.

Win the Cup and we can probably forget the domestic season, but, speaking personally, I don't think 14th and losing ECL finalists represent a successful season.

Dead game for us so can't be too critical of the performance in isolation, but we've seen this type of performance far too often this season, IMO. Passive, slow and very little cutting edge in the final third.

Lots of work needed in the summer.
  • I dont want another season in the league like this. We have a lot to do to win the final then we should say thanks to Moyes and move on. There was a great opportunity today to play a more open style of football (we have the players) but it is the same old - get to final third and pass it back. I hope we are going to be much more positive in the final.
  • edited May 2023
    Bravery wins you finals, so we will need to be that
  • It’s not been a great domestic season. It happens sometimes. 6th, 7th, 14th. If we bounce back next season into the top 10 we’ll be happy.
  • edited May 2023
    Lukerz said:

Bravery wins you finals, so we will need to be that

Do you think we'll get it? Because I suspect cautious is more likely. Perhaps for the other thread.

Tell you what though, if I was a Leicester fan I think I'd rather have lost 4-0 today given Everton won. To win and still go down must be really hard.
  • So looks like the Final is up for grabs ,.,...The thread that is not the game =)
  • Did anyone else wish we had Soucek on for the corners? He's good at the near post
  • Lukerz said:

It’s not been a great domestic season. It happens sometimes. 6th, 7th, 14th. If we bounce back next season into the top 10 we’ll be happy.

Some of players won't be unless it is under a different manager. I have heard on one of the "toxic" media websites that several players want out if David Moyes stays. Now waits for the requests to name where that information is from! :p
  • I know people aren’t impressed by Downes but I can see potential for him in a possession based side. He plays simple passes but will play it around the corner and with nice weight when it relatively tight spaces. I still think there’s potential there to be a solid player for us.

Can’t take too much away from this game imo but what I’d say about the end to the season, which I think has been pretty strong, is it reminds me a little of how we were rejuvenated after the covid lockdown ended. Had a strong end to that season and went into the next one flying. I hope we repeat that.
  • We survived the drop which I admit at some points I seriously questioned….
    All in all it’s been a very poor EPL season for us IMHO.
    With the players we have it should have been less stressful.
    Conference league win or lose , it only covers over the cracks in a squad that’s likely to lose its captain and will be hard to replace with same quality …
    Happy we didn’t have the last game stress like Leicester, and that in it owns proves nothing is certain these days, but I for one have not enjoyed this season and feel regardless of a conference win or lose, it’s time to part ways with Moyes…..
  • I think Downes looks a good player for us in that he can secure up a defence needing to hold onto a scoreline and not concede. An ideal bench player.

I do think for his career he could do with being at a club that will offer him more of a starting position. At 24 this is approaching his peak and he needs be playing more.
  • All in all an odd game where it is tricky to draw any real conclusions, Fornals goal was really well taken and whilst frustrating at times, ( I have not forgiven him for THAT corner) he is a solid workhorse and has had a positive contribution to the squad.

Jury is still out on Cornet, he has not had a proper run out but has fluffed his lines more often than not and I was just reminding myself that Ings is a Fox in the box player and then he lets himself down, he is still a quality striker , but NOT up top on his own

I feel I may have expressed that before.

A decent performance overall and navigated without injury, hopefully the squad can now sit back and really enjoy everything about being in a European Final, the lead up, the game itself and the open top bus 🙏
  • Really fear for next season. Especially if we lose Rice as well. The recruitment needs to be spot on this summer.
  • We’ll improve next season. We’ve been poor for most of this season yet still finished comfortably clear of the bottom 3. Next season we’ll be much better.
  • I had a look on the Leicester board to see how they were taking it.

I didn't think anything could put a smile on my face today, let alone laugh but a WHU fan has just done that on 606.

He thinks they should move Moyes on and go for Rodgers.
  • Candbsky, Was that a smile of hope or despair?
  • I think they hold Rodgers more responsible than anyone else and he couldn't believe anyone would want to employ him.
  • To be fair, the Sunderland supporting side of my family thought we were nuts to employ DM, and even now, I doubt that he will be choosing to stay the night on wearside anytime soon.
  • I think they hold Rodgers more responsible than anyone else and he couldn't believe anyone would want to employ him.

Answers on a postcard addressed to director of football Jon Rudkin, chief executive Susan Whelan and chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, better known as Khun Top.

These appear to be more to blame according to the "toxic" media?
  • edited May 2023
    Might be in a minority here but actually feel if they had kept Brendan they might still bi the EPL, but we will never know now, and I guess results before his departure gave no indication that this would have happened, just my own feelings 👍🏻