Gent away Thursday 13th April 17.45 BST (that's quarter to six)

Comments

• Red rescinded, not sure why ref had a yellow out though, as no free kick was given so no foul at all.

1-1 FT.
  • Our performance 5/10
    Gent’s finishing 4/10
    Referee’s officiating 2/10
  • I know Moyes isn't going anywhere, but I honestly don't know how many more performances like that he can be allowed. We're so slow and flat and I have no idea what our game plan is most of the time.

• Referee’s officiating 2/10

Generous imo.

• edited April 2023
    Poor performance ( see I do say it) not too much to say about it other than it could’ve been a lot worse but a draw away in Europe is far from “ abysmal “ or “garbage “.
  • We need a full strength side for the return leg - play the U18's
  • edited April 2023
    No performance was abysmal and garbage imo
  • Take the 1-1
  • I'll take it but we got away with one
  • Said before I would take a draw ,But that really was pretty bad ,should have got Cornet on the kid needs to play ,And that last half hour was made for his speed
  • That was another hard watch ..
    Thanks Moyes for making it horrible to watch us play….
    Gent…. The might of Europe 🤣
    I just don’t feel good watching us at the moment…
  • Poor performance lacking intensity and threat. but we are still in it.
  • I had to listen to it on the radio, on my way back from the north east. Apart from the goal, did we muster a goal on target? I missed the last 20 minutes.
  • The problem is we'll now have to go something near full strength to get through the second leg. Which potentially compromises the Bournemouth game.

Just going to be a long ard slog until the end of the season now.
  • I’m not sure that’s exactly how Moyes sent them out to play. For the first 10 minutes of each half we were kind of at them but it seems if it doesn’t immediately bring results they go into a “that didn’t work so what do we do now” mindset.
  • The problem is we'll now have to go something near full strength to get through the second leg. Which potentially compromises the Bournemouth game.

This is the real issue from tonight's result, ideally we'd have taken a comfortable lead back home and been able to rest a few players next Thursday ahead of the trip to Bournemouth.
  • The result isn’t terrible, IMO, but the performance was not good at all. We clearly had a gameplan to attack down the right, but we created almost nothing, and then didn’t even try to change our approach.

This is the real issue from tonight's result, ideally we'd have taken a comfortable lead back home and been able to rest a few players next Thursday ahead of the trip to Bournemouth.
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. Paqueta made a big difference when he came on, which you'd expect from him given the opposition. Had he been on from the start I think we'd have certainly created more and may well have got a couple more goals.

Presumably he was held back for the Arsenal game, but how much impact is he likely to have against Xhaka, Partey and Odegaard?
  • Anderlecht currently leading against Alkmaar too
  • alderz said:

The result isn’t terrible, IMO, but the performance was not good at all. We clearly had a gameplan to attack down the right, but we created almost nothing, and then didn’t even try to change our approach.

I think Cornet should have come on instead of Benrahma, too. There was often acres of space on the left but Benrahma seems reluctant to run into it. Not sure if that was an instruction from above, or just a lack of confidence. Based on what I've seen of him since his return, I'm pretty sure Cornet would have made more of the situations that Benny found himself in.
  • Maybe, just maybe we should credit Gent just a little bit?
    I thought they played well and the young lad up front was a proper handful.
  • edited April 2023
    As I said earlier their two strikers had scored 28 goals between them this season that’s more than we’ve scored in total in the PL so they’re no mugs.
    We scraped through against them 2-1 on aggregate in 1964.
  • Slacker said:

Maybe, just maybe we should credit Gent just a little bit?
    I thought they played well and the young lad up front was a proper handful.

Yeah definitely. Gent are a decent side, and getting an away draw isn’t terrible, as I said. I am just troubled by our lack of composure and imagination, as I have been for a long while.
  • Gave them far to much space ,and how many shots did they have 20 any premium team would have scored a few ,,.,oh ya Newcastle did
  • Anderlecht 2 up on Alkmaar
  • They weren’t afraid to have a pop when they got near our goal hence their 20 attempts whereas we seemed to have a “I’m not going to shoot in case I miss so you have a go” resulting in nobody having a go.
  • I see Paqueta got POTM on the BBC ratings. Fella was only on for 16 minutes.

Tells you everything you need to know about our performance really.
  • I mean who cares about performance. 1-1 away from home. Take it & move on.
  • Lukerz said:

I mean who cares about performance. 1-1 away from home. Take it & move on.

I care about performance. I watch the games, I want to see us play well. If I didn’t care I’d just check the results afterwards…
  • Away from home in a European 1/4 final, it wasn’t great but you take the draw & move on