Basel -2
    AZ Alkmaar - 4
    Gent - 5
    West Ham England - 8
    Fiorentina - 12
    Nice France - 17
    Anderlecht - 18
    Lech Poznan - 26
  • If we get to the final in Prague we have been drawn away.

I can live with that.
  • edited March 2023
    Gent (the Buffaloes) currently 5th in the Belgian league

Genk (the Smurfs who we played last season) 1st

Anderlecht 9th
  • It's a good draw and a great opportunity. COYI
  • edited March 2023

Gent (the Buffaloes) currently 5th in the Belgian league

Genk (the Smurfs who we played last season) 1st

Anderlecht 9th

Is there an Anderlechk?
  • Arguably Gent's biggest moment in recent years was knocking Spurs out of the Round of 32 in the Europa League in 2017.
  • Like a lot of the teams in the ECL this season, Basel aren't having a great season domestically. After 8 titles on the trot, they then had 4 seconds and a third in the last 5 seasons; they're currently 6th.
  • We have now scored more goals in the Conference League than we have in the Premier League, 25 to 24 and in 10 games as opposed to 26.
  • IronHerb said:

We have now scored more goals in the Conference League than we have in the Premier League, 25 to 24 and in 10 games as opposed to 26.

Also goes to show why I was asking alderz to try and exclude non-top flight league games from his comparison of win percentages of our previous managers; our win rate this season from all competitive games played is a very respectable 45% this season, but our PL win rate this season reflects our league position and is a rather less impressive 23%.
  • I don't think we could have asked a better draw than to avoid Fiorentina and Nice.

I would just have loved us to be mid table and safe to really target these matches instead of having to go 100% in every league match at the same time.
  • My mate who sits next to me can't make the Gent game and my son would be willing to take his seat.
    Because all S/Ts are on your phone now how do i get around this?
  • mike,
    I was sent an email for the Larnaca game which could be either printed out or downloaded to you phone 'wallet' so you should get the same. Only league games are sent direct to your 'wallet' unless you requested a plastic ticket.
  • @IronHerb
    Thanks for that information.So what you are saying that if my mate buys his seat he will get an email to say he can either download it to his wallet or print it off?
  • That's right. 👍
  • edited April 2023
    Chilwell just been sent off against Real Madrid, who are already leading 1-0 in the first leg; the incident completely reminded me of Cresswell's red v Frankfurt last season, very similar imo.
  • Almost identical, wasn't it. I had flashbacks and got angry all over again.
  • edited April 2023
    Or was it the one against Lyon actually? They both bring me out in cold sweats 😱😱😱

It was the Lyon one I was thinking of tbh.
  • Real Madrid take the lead against City in the first leg of their CL semi final. Can't help feeling Ederson shoulda saved it; it definitely wasn't hit with the same power as Benrahma's effort on Sunday 😂🤣😂.

PS it (the RM goal) was a cracking finish it has to be said.
  • RM look like England. Play it sideways. Play it back. Boring.
  • KDB with a rocket of his own. 1-1.
  • edited May 2023
    But anyone can beat a keeper with sheer power and placement, Benrahma musta used witchcraft to bamboozle De Gea 😂🤣😂
  • The more Pep plays Stones in midfield, the more I think it's likely that he'll come in for Rice.
  • I do find it worrying that we're being linked with Phillips alongside reports of his lack of effort and motivation, especially if City are looking to recoup anything above half what they paid for him.
  • The more Pep plays Stones in midfield, the more I think it's likely that he'll come in for Rice.

If he goes I pray it's to City.

Stones doesn’t really play in midfield though. He drops in at centre back most of the time
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

The more Pep plays Stones in midfield, the more I think it's likely that he'll come in for Rice.

Stones doesn’t really play in midfield though. He drops in at centre back most of the time
    He was much further forward than a CB last night. He was definitely alongside Rodri in a midfield two.

• He does push into midfield, and he does play slightly ahead of Dias, but I think it's a stretch to say he's playing as a midfielder, IMO. If you look at the average positions of their defence for the past six games, it looks a lot like a back four to me. Yes, he pushed up a bit higher against Real Madrid and against us, but the rest of the time he's basically playing a back four for a side that completely dominates the ball. In most of those games it looks more like Gundogan (#8) or Bernardo (#20) are sitting in the middle with Rodri (#16) than Stones (#5) is.

I just personally find the "Pep's a genius!" narrative really annoying, because he's being championed as this innovator with a crazy new system, but when you actually look at the average positions he's basically just playing four centre backs.
  • alderz said:

but when you actually look at the average positions he's basically just playing four centre backs.

Eddie Howe does too