ANDERLECT (H) THURS OCT 13th

124ยป

Comments

• Just sticking to the facts MrsG. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
  • They can't afford to lose it if they want top spot but we can. If we lose, we'd still top the group with a point from FCSB.

I don't think there's any real pressure. We just need to keep a steadier pace because when we ease off we tend to lose momentum and things like that stupid penalty decision can happen.

And at the end of the day, even if we finished second we'd just end up playing one of the teams that dropped down from the Europa group stage - which we passed comfortably last season. It's not the same as last season when the threat was to play a champions league team.
  • Iโ€™d much rather not have to play two extra games to reach last the 16. Weโ€™ve got enough games as it is.
  • Of course. I just don't think there's any real reason to be stressed unless we actually lose the Silkeborg game.
  • I can't really see us not securing at least a point in our last two matches, Silkeborg will have to beat ourselves and Anderlecht to finish top, with us failing even a point against FSBC.

As for tonight I thought Downes was really good once again and can't wait to see him against Premiership opposition.

The bad news is that Dawson may clearly be a doubt for the weekend, but the good news is aside from Cresswell I don't think any of the starters at the weekend had to play a full ninety tonight, so hopefully not too tired at the weekend. A win at Southampton will really see us eating into the points lost through our bad start.
  • Bowen's goal this evening means he's equalled our all-time European scoring record:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63234700

It's taken a bit of time for him to get going this season after playing so well last term, but his last few performances have been much closer to the form that got his his England call up. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
  • Good result, decent performance, shaky at the end. Sounds like our normal performance.

The Anderlecht fans were lighting flares from the off then towards the end of the game they confronted the home fans close by who, in general, are there for that reason, but were kept at bay by the stewards. Then the chairs starting flying from both sides and then an Anderlecht fan threw a flare into the home end. That's when the police in riot gear intervened and quieted the situation down. We'll probably get the blame because that's what happens.
  • MrsGrey said:

Hamstew said:

Has there ever been a more disrupted second half of football?

Well, at least we haven't had twonks running on to... Oh.

Nice role back by Areola though. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
  • edited October 2022
    IronHerb said:

Nice role back by Areola though. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Maybe he works at ASDA part time =)
  • Don't mind if I do Herb, egg and bacon please. =)
  • Thought Bowen, Downes and Cresswell were the standout players last night. Paqueta seemed to struggle again; I can understand him not being quite up to pace in the PL, but these European games are generally slower but he still seemed to not really be at it.

Looking forward to the weekend game now. Looking forward to steve's match thread too (nudge), although by now no words are needed. He just wins.
  • Three starts and two yellow cards

Is Flynn Downes the new John Moncur?
  • edited October 2022
    Obviously gonna wait for Steve to open the new match thread, but from Moyes's presser, Zouma has got a cold and "hopefully he has a chance" (doesn't sound too optimistic although that's typical Moyes) and Kehrer was left out last night as a "precaution more than anything else"; after Oggy and Daws last night (no update just yet) we might not have any CBs at 100% on Sunday. No wonder he gave Rice a run out there last night ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

Cornet definitely out, Antonio a little better (he has missed some training and was unavailable last night due to a cold).
  • Antonio and Kehrer were training today.
  • edited October 2022
    If needs must I would allow Rice to stand in at centre back and let Downes have his long awaited premiership debut alongside Sucek. Rice is so good and so versatile I think he could do a job in almost any position outfield, and I doubt would be letting anyone down at centre back. Downes is also a more naturally deeper sitting DM so may allow Sucek to get forward again as he has not been doing so much as Rice has been given the nod to get further forward.

• Because of what we'd lose in CM by playing Rice as a CB I'd be happier playing Johnson at CB in a back 4 (with Coufal at RB) if need be ie if we only have one CB fit. Hopefully all 3 of Kehrer, Dawson and Zouma will be able to play and it will all be academic.