WOLVES (H) OCT 1ST

145679

Comments

  • We're winning the lot btw
  • Except for next week against Fulham as I'm going
  • Scamacca and Bowen seem to be getting a nice understanding together
  • At last I can watch MOTD.
  • The Scamacca goal was interesting as it was as the sort of goal Antonio would have been incapable of scoring. The bit of play & pass wide & then the control and finish from outside the box. He offers is something completely different. Thought he was excellent for an hour.
  • Slacker said:

    Soucek has become this season’s Cresswell hasn’t he?
    We do seem to need a fall guy, who’s up next?🤷🏻‍♂️

    I’m not sure that’s fair. I think Soucek has been rubbish this season (and for parts of last season). I think he played well today, and really grew into the game - though some of his passing early on was rubbish. I’ll always call them as I see them (as I’m sure is the case for most people) I don’t think that means someone is “the fall guy”
  • edited October 1
    Funny how we see the game. I’ve had a look through Twitter. I thought Rice was very sloppy by his usual standards (albeit he did a lot of good things). I also wasn’t sure on Kehrer. He does a lot of good stuff & then he does a couple of things a game that scream ‘liability’. Bowen was the best player followed by Scamacca. I thought Soucek was good defensively but was, again, limited in possession. Paqueta was better than he has been but he still has a lot more to bring.
  • alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    Soucek has become this season’s Cresswell hasn’t he?
    We do seem to need a fall guy, who’s up next?🤷🏻‍♂️

    I’m not sure that’s fair. I think Soucek has been rubbish this season (and for parts of last season). I think he played well today, and really grew into the game - though some of his passing early on was rubbish. I’ll always call them as I see them (as I’m sure is the case for most people) I don’t think that means someone is “the fall guy”
    Soucek is an excellent player who’s been a bit out of form( it does happen) and thankfully the manager knows that.

  • Delighted with the win.
    Soucek MOM and Kehrer gave us solidity.
  • Slacker said:

    alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    Soucek has become this season’s Cresswell hasn’t he?
    We do seem to need a fall guy, who’s up next?🤷🏻‍♂️

    I’m not sure that’s fair. I think Soucek has been rubbish this season (and for parts of last season). I think he played well today, and really grew into the game - though some of his passing early on was rubbish. I’ll always call them as I see them (as I’m sure is the case for most people) I don’t think that means someone is “the fall guy”
    Soucek is an excellent player who’s been a bit out of form( it does happen) and thankfully the manager knows that.

    Yeah, I agree.

    But does you saying he’s out of form mean that you’re making him the fall guy, or is that only when other people say he’s out of form and question whether he should start?
  • I thought Fab had a great game, was not called to do too much but very tidy when needed and made a few awkward bits look easy, very much an experienced keeping performance.

    I thought Rice was again superb, Bowen back to near his best and as has been mentioned Sucek very busy and decisive today.

    I may be in a minority, but I felt Scamacca was poor before his goal and was playing so tightly withinhimself that he gave away the ball cheaply and looked a little frustrated and almost trying too hard. However, he scored and that's what he is in the team for. I feel there is much more than we have seen so far from him and once he relaxes, he may cause havoc in defences. I am not sure what his ear cupping celebration was about but may suggest he felt under more pressure within himself than he was, he may have been answering his own self criticism more than anyone else's with that ear cupping.

    I really like the idea of allowing Scamacca to start and a fresh Antonio coming on for the final 20-25 to run at people who have been softened up a little. It keeps both fresh and both with game time.
  • alderz said:

    Buffy

    I think Soucek didn’t really do the dirty stuff very well against Everton, and got better on the ball as the game went on today. I guess this is somewhat unfair, but when we don’t carry a threat and Soucek doesn’t play well, it stands out a LOT more. Today we carried a threat so his carelessness in possession was less of an issue.

    That's my point though, he's not in the team to do the "nice" stuff in possession; because others did that better and we won, Soucek apparently played better. All I'm really trying to say is that I think the criticism of him has been very OTT.
    There's not doing the nice stuff, and there's not getting even the basics right. Soucek has been all over the place this season, IMO, and I think the criticism has been fair.

    Today he was better. Still not great, but better.
    OCS were we watching the same game? Soucek made mistakes in the first ten minutes, when the whole team was all over the place. After that, he was excellent, made key tackles, was effective in both penalty areas, was a big part of the second goal with that pass, and ran his socks off. I think that qualifies as a bit more than 'better' IMO.
  • edited October 2
    alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    Soucek has become this season’s Cresswell hasn’t he?
    We do seem to need a fall guy, who’s up next?🤷🏻‍♂️

    I’m not sure that’s fair. I think Soucek has been rubbish this season (and for parts of last season). I think he played well today, and really grew into the game - though some of his passing early on was rubbish. I’ll always call them as I see them (as I’m sure is the case for most people) I don’t think that means someone is “the fall guy”
    Soucek is an excellent player who’s been a bit out of form( it does happen) and thankfully the manager knows that.

    Yeah, I agree.

    But does you saying he’s out of form mean that you’re making him the fall guy, or is that only when other people say he’s out of form and question whether he should start?
    I think you know what I mean.
    Last season it was Cresswell who was the worst player in history, this year it’s been Soucek.
    We are very quick to jump on a player when he’s out of form, when it’s not just him.
    Nobody is undroppable and maybe sometimes they all need a rest, they’re not robots.Then again the manager and coaches see him working every day so I guess they like what they see.
  • edited October 2
    Dawson made a difference with Zouma. We’re a lot more rugged in defence with him there. I like Kehrer & he has done ok at CB but he’s a bit of a ‘nice’ defender.
  • Lukerz said:

    Dawson made a difference with Zouma. We’re a lot more rugged in defence with him there. I like Kehrer & he has done ok at CB but he’s a bit of a ‘nice’ defender.

    I thought he was a PSG defender.
  • Yeah I loved that bit when Dawson went toe to toe with Traoré and left him in a heap.
    Top defender is our Craig.
  • Can’t work Kehrer out. Lovely in possession, some really solid bits of defending & then the crazy, erratic decisions to dive in & run miles out of his position.
  • edited October 2
    We’re getting there, slowly.

    Villa 0-1 West Ham
    West Ham 1-1 Spurs
    Chelsea 2-1 West Ham
    Everton 1-0 West Ham
    West Ham 2-0 Wolves

    Add in the Conference wins.

    Not letting in too many goals at the moment & just slowly building in our points collection. That’s not an easy run of games; pretty much the top 8 of the last three seasons. We’re not there yet & still a little scrappy but I think another win & the confidence will be more or less back.
  • edited October 2
    Slacker said:

    alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    Soucek has become this season’s Cresswell hasn’t he?
    We do seem to need a fall guy, who’s up next?🤷🏻‍♂️

    I’m not sure that’s fair. I think Soucek has been rubbish this season (and for parts of last season). I think he played well today, and really grew into the game - though some of his passing early on was rubbish. I’ll always call them as I see them (as I’m sure is the case for most people) I don’t think that means someone is “the fall guy”
    Soucek is an excellent player who’s been a bit out of form( it does happen) and thankfully the manager knows that.

    Yeah, I agree.

    But does you saying he’s out of form mean that you’re making him the fall guy, or is that only when other people say he’s out of form and question whether he should start?
    I think you know what I mean.
    Last season it was Cresswell who was the worst player in history, this year it’s been Soucek.
    We are very quick to jump on a player when he’s out of form, when it’s not just him.
    Nobody is undroppable and maybe sometimes they all need a rest, they’re not robots.Then again the manager and coaches see him working every day so I guess they like what they see.
    I do know what you mean, but I disagree that people saying they think someone is out of form and needs to be out of the team means they are the fall guy. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say that someone out of form shouldn’t play for a while.

    Also, nobody has ever said that Cresswell is the worst player in history, they’ve just questioned his form and whether he’s the player he once was.
  • C&B I think the ear cupping was to the Wolves fans who had been giving him stick over the free kick and the one before that which he didn’t miss but the defender got to it first resulting in what should have been a corner.
    As for your comment he was poor before the his goal I disagree as for the first 20 minutes he needed binoculars to see a team mate he was so isolated up front.
  • Scam the man 🔫 has put his finger behind his ear for each goal he has scored.
    Did it for Sassoulo too 👍🏻
  • alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    alderz said:

    Slacker said:

    Soucek has become this season’s Cresswell hasn’t he?
    We do seem to need a fall guy, who’s up next?🤷🏻‍♂️

    I’m not sure that’s fair. I think Soucek has been rubbish this season (and for parts of last season). I think he played well today, and really grew into the game - though some of his passing early on was rubbish. I’ll always call them as I see them (as I’m sure is the case for most people) I don’t think that means someone is “the fall guy”
    Soucek is an excellent player who’s been a bit out of form( it does happen) and thankfully the manager knows that.

    Yeah, I agree.

    But does you saying he’s out of form mean that you’re making him the fall guy, or is that only when other people say he’s out of form and question whether he should start?
    I think you know what I mean.
    Last season it was Cresswell who was the worst player in history, this year it’s been Soucek.
    We are very quick to jump on a player when he’s out of form, when it’s not just him.
    Nobody is undroppable and maybe sometimes they all need a rest, they’re not robots.Then again the manager and coaches see him working every day so I guess they like what they see.
    I do know what you mean, but I disagree that people saying they think someone is out of form and needs to be out of the team means they are the fall guy. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say that someone out of form shouldn’t play for a while.

    Also, nobody has ever said that Cresswell is the worst player in history, they’ve just questioned his form and whether he’s the player he once was.
    Ok, nobody literally said he was the worst player in the world . I used it as an often used expression to make a point.

  • Lukerz said:

    We’re getting there, slowly.

    Villa 0-1 West Ham
    West Ham 1-1 Spurs
    Chelsea 2-1 West Ham
    Everton 1-0 West Ham
    West Ham 2-0 Wolves

    Add in the Conference wins.

    Not letting in too many goals at the moment & just slowly building in our points collection. That’s not an easy run of games; pretty much the top 8 of the last three seasons. We’re not there yet & still a little scrappy but I think another win & the confidence will be more or less back.

    Don't forget that we should have drawn against Chelsea. That would have been 8 points from our last 5 games.
  • Lukerz said:

    Can’t work Kehrer out. Lovely in possession, some really solid bits of defending & then the crazy, erratic decisions to dive in & run miles out of his position.

    I think this is again settling in. Lehrer is very talented and whilst the switch to right back was no different from an individual perspective - he was playing there for Germany earlier in the week - it was with a very different team structure.

    I like Kehrer and think he will an excellent player in more than one position for us, but he needs time to adjust to his new teammates.
  • edited October 2
    Just looking at the table. Arsenal (8), Man City (6), Brighton (8), Man Utd (8), Newcastle (8), Everton (7) have conceded less goals than our 9. That gives us the joint 4th best defence in the league (along with Liverpool & Wolves).
  • edited October 2
    Lukerz said:

    Just looking at the table. Arsenal (8), Man City (6), Brighton (8), Man Utd (8), Newcastle (8), Everton (7) have conceded less goals than our 9. That gives us the joint 4th best defence in the league (along with Liverpool & Wolves).

    Is it a coincidence that 3 of those have had an easy game against our mis-firing attack? 🤔🤔🤔

    Also, surely that makes us joint 7th best defence if 6 teams have conceded fewer goals? Some teams have played fewer games than us though.
  • edited October 2
    My take on Soucek is that he knows he has been sub par in recent games and lacked confidence on the ball, today he once again misplaced a few simple passes early doors and I was fearful that his recent form was going to continue - however

    I think todays game will be seen as a tipping point as he was really good for the last hour and I think that we will see a much improved Soucek in our upcoming games.

    Really like the idea of Scamacca starting up top with Bowen, teams will be very nervous knowing that a fresh Antonio is a really strong option for later in the game.



  • Lukerz said:

    Just looking at the table. Arsenal (8), Man City (6), Brighton (8), Man Utd (8), Newcastle (8), Everton (7) have conceded less goals than our 9. That gives us the joint 4th best defence in the league (along with Liverpool & Wolves).

    I think we may have conceded fewer goals than Man Utd now 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂
  • Kehrer is not an "overlapping" FB like Coufal, he mostly sits deep and plays short passes to players in front of him.

    That works fine as long as he has options ahead of him and Bowen is a perfect fit as a winger playing ahead of Kehrer but at the same time it does limit us for options on the right side.

    I think Moyes will rotate Kehrer, Coufal and Johnson at RB depending on the opposition

    Such luxury!!!
  • Just realised (only now) that Nunes was playing for Wolves, the one we were linked with in the summer. Don’t remember him doing anything.
Sign In or Register to comment.