WOLVES (H) OCT 1ST

Comments

• Three at the back now as Emerson replaces Paqueta?
  • edited October 2022

Three at the back now as Emerson replaces Paqueta?

Could well be.

Or Emerson replacing Fornals on the left to provide assistance to Cresswell, especially against Traore, with Fornals moving centrally.
  • Looks like Emerson has gone left wing actually
  • So far, this has been Kehrer's best game so far IMO. I still feel he has a rash challenge in him though.
  • MIAHammer said:

So far, this has been Kehrer's best game so far IMO. I still feel he has a rash challenge in him though.

I think Kehrer has been our best player this season, and I agree this has been his best game. The guy is a right back.
  • Feels like this game has been going on for a couple of hours already
  • MIAHammer said:

So far, this has been Kehrer's best game so far IMO. I still feel he has a rash challenge in him though.

He's had a couple of ropey moments, but I really like him. Very calm and composed on the ball. Like him at CB, like him at RB.
  • Defensively Soucek has been good today. On the ball, pretty poor, but he's done the dirty work very well. Signs of improvement.

Bowen's best game of the season, too.
  • Soucek has run his socks off today.
  • Twice Antonio has cut in onto his left and telegraphed the shot.
  • This is a never ending game hahaha
  • Our next transfer target has to be a replacement for Cresswell.
  • Twice Antonio has been away in the right channel, but both times he's been unable to get an unblocked shot away when he's cut onto his left foot.

Cresswell in the book now for a fairly cynical challenge.
  • MIAHammer said:

Our next transfer target has to be a replacement for Cresswell.

Are you writing this post from 2019?
  • alderz said:

MIAHammer said:

I think Kehrer has been our best player this season, and I agree this has been his best game. The guy is a right back.
    I think our best player this season has been Zouma.
  • We still can’t take throw ins
  • I think Bowen has been good this game. Lots of improvement going on. Players still dettling and getting to know each other but Wolves aren't a bad team and we have been the better team today.
  • Fornals channeling his inner Soucek with that pass.
  • We still can’t take throw ins

It really is frustrating how bad we are (and have been more many years) at throw ins. It's so rare for us to retain possession after one of our throw ins.
  • Full time.
    2 goals and a clean sheet.

Yay. Very yay.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Big, big win. Looked pretty comfortable in the end.

I said players needed to step up and they did; Bowen and Soucek were better and it was good to see Scamacca more involved.

Hopefully that will give us a boost ahead of what is a decent run of games now.
  • Well I enjoyed that. The much maligned Soucek was really good at the mucky stuff, the new boys all showed what’s to come, Declan was, well, Declan, we played some beautiful one touch football at times and thoroughly deserved the win.
    Much, much better boys.⚒
  • Kehrer looking very much the signing of the summer right now. £10m is an absolute steal. I'd be amazed if we weren't talking to PSG again next summer as they seem to offer some real value for money.

When you compare his composure at RB compared to the somewhat chaotic performances of Coufal, it's hard to see the latter getting back in.
  • I said before the game Soucek hasn't been playing that bad, I don't think he played that differently today than he did against Everton, but we lost that game and won this one; a different result and suddenly he's played much better 🤔🤔🤔. I think the perspective of a player's performance after winning a game is very different to the perspective after losing a game, even if their performance is exactly the same.

Bowen definitely seemed more like his best today, generally pretty lively and a threat throughout. Paqueta still adjusting to the pace of the PL imo; some nice touches but caught on the ball a few times. The class is there, just need him to adjust to things here.
  • We have won a game. Three points. Heading inexorably towards the summit.

European football beckons again in 2023-2024. Or, on reflection, perhaps not.
  • Buffy

I think Soucek didn’t really do the dirty stuff very well against Everton, and got better on the ball as the game went on today. I guess this is somewhat unfair, but when we don’t carry a threat and Soucek doesn’t play well, it stands out a LOT more. Today we carried a threat so his carelessness in possession was less of an issue.
  • alderz said:

Buffy

I think Soucek didn’t really do the dirty stuff very well against Everton, and got better on the ball as the game went on today. I guess this is somewhat unfair, but when we don’t carry a threat and Soucek doesn’t play well, it stands out a LOT more. Today we carried a threat so his carelessness in possession was less of an issue.

That's my point though, he's not in the team to do the "nice" stuff in possession; because others did that better and we won, Soucek apparently played better. All I'm really trying to say is that I think the criticism of him has been very OTT.
  • IMO Soucek was MOM.
    Sometimes it’s doing the dirty stuff that’s needed, he did little wrong today IMO
  • Soucek has become this season’s Cresswell hasn’t he?
    We do seem to need a fall guy, who’s up next?🤷🏻‍♂️
  • alderz said:

Buffy

That's my point though, he's not in the team to do the "nice" stuff in possession; because others did that better and we won, Soucek apparently played better. All I'm really trying to say is that I think the criticism of him has been very OTT.
    There's not doing the nice stuff, and there's not getting even the basics right. Soucek has been all over the place this season, IMO, and I think the criticism has been fair.

Today he was better. Still not great, but better.