England Squad and upcoming internationals

Comments

• Definitely started a back 3, we've just made a couple of subs and are a back 4 now we're behind.
  • 1-0 FT.

Extremely uninspiring performance, only 1 penalty scored in 5 matches so far in this Nations League, and undone this evening by a long ball forward with their forward marked by 2 CBs.
  • edited September 2022
    Got to go, hasn't he? Awful form going into the World Cup so is there anything to lose now?

And like with us at the moment, it's not just the results; the performances are just so poor.
  • Southgate out not soon enough for me,but it wont happen
  • Was Dec reading from a script in that interview? Can't say I agreed with anything he said.
  • I see a lot of similarities between how Southgate and Moyes sets teams up
  • Southgate has now relegated both teams he’s managed
  • And he has taken both teams he’s managed to European finals.
  • McClaren took Middlesbrough to the UEFA cup final. Southgate arrived the season after.
  • Oh well, one out of two.
  • Two out of three would have been better.
  • Going into the World Cup with low expectations is maybe a good thing, less of the footballs coming home nonsense.
  • England were never winning a World Cup in Qatar anyway
  • Southgate is on a decline, just like the £
  • Never thought Southgate wa sany good but hey, he did get us to a semi and a final

But still look at that team we've got, and the teams we've played to get to the semi/final and I still dont think he's very good, he's tactically very rigid and can't make changes mid game to stem the flow of the game

Also he has a bias towards certain players at "big clubs"

He's been pretty brilliant given my reservations about him but we do have an amazing group of players atm and think it's run its course....but won't be till after Qatar
  • I personally wouldn’t read too much into the nations league games. He will be judged on the World Cup, which I don’t expect England to win anyway.
  • edited September 2022
    Argentina and Brazil have had some outstanding squads in the last 15-20 years but done nothing on the world stage really because they've had some rubbish managers. So think Southgate deserves credit for what he's achieved. I don't think you can sack him going into the tournament because of the last two but if it's dire, then surely he can't stay or you possibly waste the potential of this crop of players.

How was Scamacca?
  • I've always thought that a good England manager should pick the best (in form) English player for each position, irrespective of who they play for, even if they play in the Championship
  • edited September 2022
    Is the England squad that good? Think we all agree the defence is shaky, the full-backs are good attacking players but not got too much defensively. We don’t have a proper LB, and a load of RBs. Rice is good but his partner changes & now seems to be settled on as being a teenager. He’s not going to win you the World Cup on his own. Grealish (enough said, all hype for me), Foden & Saka have not done anything notable on the international stage. Kane always chips in with goals & we all accept he’s a great striker. Sterling mainly offers experience more than ability, now. Not too much on the bench, certainly in terms of form.
  • Can anyone see GS omitting Maguire & Shaw from the World Cup squad if they aren't playing at Old Trafford?
  • Nope 🤦‍♂️
  • I've always thought that a good England manager should pick the best (in form) English player for each position, irrespective of who they play for, even if they play in the Championship

I disagree with this idea pretty strongly, tbh. If you’re just going by the most in form players then you aren’t ever going to build any cohesion or team relationships. We’ve been saying that West Ham are struggling to integrate new players this season, team spirit is really important, etc, and I think it’s the same for national teams. For me, you need a core squad that you can build around. There are some squad places that are up for grabs to form players, but for the most part I think it makes sense to have a settled side.

I always think of Lukas Podolski as an example. Never seemed to be particularly good at club level, but ALWAYS played for Germany and almost always did well. His club form was secondary to what he brought to the national team.
  • First up I admit I didn’t bother watching the match, but I’ve read a lot of the backlash this morning .
    I didn’t watch it because it didn’t matter, what’s important is Qatar . Southgate got to a World Cup semi final and lost a Euros final on penalties. He is the most successful England manager since Ramsey. To think about getting rid of him now seems bizarre to me.
    No matter what happens in the World Cup I think he’ll resign, win or lose.After the World Cup THAT’S the time to replace him IMO.
  • Yep replacing him now would be pointless imo.
  • I do understand the reasons for letting him see out the tournament, but I don't agree with them. Keeping him would just be a waste of a World Cup, IMO.

As it stands, confidence and form is shot. New manager bounce and a different approach to games may improve our chances of going further in the competition.
  • We’ll see come November.
  • England don’t exactly have a good record of appointing managers so not sure replacing him is a good idea
  • Big Sam has a great record with England ,bring him back =)
  • Meanwhile, "plucky little Denmark" are showing us how it's done, and against the World Champions to boot.
  • Well, now we are out of this competition, we can concentrate on the league. Oh, wait a minute…