England Squad and upcoming internationals

124»

Comments

• So, we're in the same group as Italy, not the easiest of seeded teams to be drawn against.
  • edited October 2022
    And now we've got Ukraine as well, probably one of the tougher teams in pot 3.

North Macedonia from pot 4.
  • And finally Malta to complete the group.
  • We’ll be World Champions by then🥳
  • Top two go through, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
  • And now we've got Ukraine as well, probably one of the tougher teams in pot 3.

Yes, Ukraine looks good, but they don't have everything going smoothly. A fickle team. They can win one match out of the blue, and lose another (expectedly winnable).
  • RiderJake said:

Yes, Ukraine looks good, but they don't have everything going smoothly. A fickle team. They can win one match out of the blue, and lose another (expectedly winnable).
    I watched them against Scotland in the recent Nation's League games and they looked very poor, particularly in the first game. They lost 3-0 but it could easily have been 5 or 6.
  • RiderJake said:

Welcome Jake.👍

• Slacker said:

RiderJake said:

Welcome Jake.👍

Thank you =)

RiderJake said:

I watched them against Scotland in the recent Nation's League games and they looked very poor, particularly in the first game. They lost 3-0 but it could easily have been 5 or 6.
    In the first round they lost 3 - 0, yes. But in the second round it was 0 - 0. And in the summer they won 3 - 1 against Scotland. I'm telling you, a fickle team =)
  • Think Lambert beens on the wacky backy 🚬

• Apparently Welbeck and Dunk are in the provisional 55 man England squad 🤦‍♂️

And why there needs to be 55 players is beyond me
  • Sure 18 of those must be right backs
  • The provisional 55 man squads had to be put in about a month ago. Has to go down to 26 by the end of next week so 29 names struck off.
  • edited November 2022
    Could it be that 55 are named to start preliminary paperwork for travel, insurance, visas (?), etc.?
  • IronHerb said:

Could it be that 55 are named to start preliminary paperwork for travel, insurance, visas (?), etc.?

That would make a lot of sense, actually.
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

Then it probably isn't that. 😃
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

IronHerb said:

Then it probably isn't that. 😃
    I mean, let’s not forget the FA are involved
  • All participating countries had to submit a provisional squad of between 35 and 55 players to FIFA. It was 35 at 2018 but raised to 55 at this one. The provisional squads did not have to be named to the public but the final squad of 26 could only be selected from the provisional.
    Southgate decided to use the full 55 so will cull 29 although late replacements to the 26 can come from the culled 29.
    I doubt all the countries can select 55.
  • Ben Chilwell a doubt now after pulling up in the Chelsea game this evening.
  • Hopefully he will play Trippier on the left instead of Shaw
  • He might need Trippier at RB.
  • edited November 2022
    There seem to be an awful lot of injuries atm that could result in players missing this World Cup, both English players and those from other countries too. You'd think that a World Cup at the end of a season should result in more injuries in the run up as players could well be tired after a long season, but I wonder if the fact that we're at the Group stages for the European competitions atm is a big factor; an awful lot of potential World Cup players will play for teams in European competitions which have had a pretty full on schedule for the last two months, as opposed to at the tail end of the season when only a few clubs would still be left playing midweek European fixtures.

Apart from the disruption to the European Leagues (which are the biggest and most influential in the world), I wonder if this mid-season World Cup will result in negative injury (wrt players missing the competition) statistics as well.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Hopefully he will play Trippier on the left instead of Shaw

I think Shaw's the best left back we have, including Chilwell, personally.
  • Chilwell’s just the unlikeable version of Cresswell.

(No rational explanation for my dislike can be provided).
  • alderz said:

Bazshuayi said:

Hopefully he will play Trippier on the left instead of Shaw

I think Shaw's the best left back we have, including Chilwell, personally.
    I used to think this...
  • Then you put your Liverpool head on hahaha