Transfer Deadline Day: Goodbye Big Daws

Comments

• You should have started recording today's show from this morning until 11 tonight and when you got up tomorrow morning, you could have just pressed play hahaha
  • Apparently the Dutch got their dates wrong and their window a day early by mistake hahaha
  • Oh don’t worry
    There will be a thread up and running tomorrow 💪🏿
    All the missed deals, the what could have been’s, the we should have been all over that!

Not to forget the out of contract players that will still be available 👀

And then who to target next window

Personally can’t wait
  • steve said:

The bigger question is what are we all going to do from tomorrow on .My wife wanted to know when the window shut .I made a rookie mistake by saying tonight ,Now i can just see her thinking up things for me to do

Just tell her we're after a player from North Korea and they're running about 40 years behind
  • I did think we'd do something today, if I'm being honest. I know we've done very well overall, and a lot of people are claiming this to be a 10/10 window, but I do think we're still a bit light of quality in midfield.

We have the numbers, but I'm not convinced that Moyes will give much time to Downes and Coventry, and I don't think Lanzini is effective in a midfield two, which means we run the risk of over-playing Rice and Soucek again.

The bench looked a striker light in Scamacca's absence last night; I know Cornet can play there, but he's covering three positions so may be needed elsewhere.

Still time, but the lack of anything coming from the more reputable ITKs makes me think we're done.
  • I agree with all of that, OCS, but I also feel like it’s incredibly rare for every issue to be resolved in one window. I think really our big problems last year were lack of ability to open teams up when we weren’t countering and when our attacking players were off the boil. I think the signings really address those problems, and I’m ok with the one or two gaps we have left, because they can be resolved in the next couple of windows.
  • Paqueta can play false nine or DM. We have bought plenty multi faceted players to cover multiple positions.
  • I think Kehrer is more than capable of playing CM or DM to give either Rice or Soucek a rest.
  • Ravel49 said:

Oh don’t worry
    All the missed deals, the what could have been’s, the we should have been all over that!

Personally can’t wait

Weep
  • MrsGrey said:

Ravel49 said:

Oh don’t worry

Personally can’t wait

Weep
    Tears of joy, no doubt.
  • edited September 2022
    Dawson seems like a stand up guy ,So cant we give him a break and let him train at home 2or 3 times a week rather then coming down to rush green every day ,Some of the players might not be to happy .But think it could work for him unlike most players after all he is 33 and been around a bit and knows how to look after himself
  • Ashby looks like he may stay

Hope we can convince him to stay over the next 12months
  • edited September 2022

Ashby looks like he may stay

Hope we can convince him to stay over the next 12months

He'll want games. Will Moyes give him enough?

I think this is a calculated risk by the club; if he doesn't want to stay next summer then we've only really lost the £2m Newcastle were reportedly prepared to pay for him. As I said earlier, that's pocket money in the modern game.

Hopefully he'll knuckle down and take any chances that come his way. Hopefully Moyes will give him those opportunities.

My only concern with the Ashby and Dawson situations is will we have two unhappy players that don't want to be here, and, if so, what will it do to the much-vaunted team spirit we've built.
  • I don't see Dawson being a problem for one minute. Ashby is too junior to cause disharmony in the squad.
  • Dendoncker for £13m seems incredibly cheap
  • alderz said:

Dendoncker for £13m seems incredibly cheap

SHBAOT
  • #versatile
  • I think Kehrer is more than capable of playing CM or DM to give either Rice or Soucek a rest.

When the inevitable happens and Rice eventually moves on, I could see Kehrer becoming the DM we need and giving Soucek the licence to get in the box more.
  • I have a feeling Rice won't be gone next season.
  • alderz said:

Dendoncker for £13m seems incredibly cheap

Feels like I'm back in summer 2018 when he moved to Wolves for £13mil
  • I've not seen it mentioned here (have probably missed it), but Willian has signed for Fulham on a free; he was awful at Arsenal when he was there so seems a bit desperate by Fulham to bring him in.
  • So you know this thing with Dawson. I keep reading that he wants to go north because of family reasons.
    Where did that story start and has it been substantiated by anyone?All I heard from the manager was that there are other factors in play, that doesn’t sound to me like the player needs to get away. Are his family up north or are they in Essex somewhere?
    I know nothing of the bloke’s family arrangements does anyone else?
  • Outcast, A great influence around the club but would he be playing much?

I think the fact we seem to be keen on replacing him means he wasn’t completely surplus. And I think it is worth having some constants while you’re transitioning. We don’t know how good any of these new defenders are going to be and it would’ve been useful to have Dawson to fall back on. I was probably more critical of him than most, because I think he did have some serious flaws in his game, but I also see his value. From our CBs, only Ogbonna would’ve been here more than a season.

Outcast, A great influence around the club but would he be playing much?

I think the fact we seem to be keen on replacing him means he wasn’t completely surplus. And I think it is worth having some constants while you’re transitioning. We don’t know how good any of these new defenders are going to be and it would’ve been useful to have Dawson to fall back on. I was probably more critical of him than most, because I think he did have some serious flaws in his game, but I also see his value. From our CBs, only Ogbonna would’ve been here more than a season.
    Flawson?
  • edited September 2022
    His family live in Manchester afaik. I think there is a genuine, if as yet not public, reason why he wants a move so desperately (gut feeling is a health issue with a family member, but I've nothing at all to substantiate it).
  • I throught Ex said he commutes from Manchester 4 hours to london and 4 back and is finding it hard ,Hence why i said give the guy a break and let him train up there a couple of times a week
  • According to Ex he does a daily 3 hour drive each way to training.
  • Didn't Ex also say one of Dawson's kids was unwell, which was adding to the stress?
  • Shame we couldn’t have got a CH in to allow him to move with all our best wishes. It begs the question what has Rob Newman been doing all this window? 😃
  • So it’s kind of based on what one bloke said?
  • I've seen a lot of people on social media saying this is a 10/10 window. That suggests a perfect window, which I don't think it's been.

I'm really pleased with the business we have done; Kehrer, Paqueta and Scamacca look like excellent signings, but I do think we're a CM short. Something we may address in January, but I just can't see Moyes trusting Downes and Coventry enough to rest Rice and Soucek between now and then.

How do people on here rate the window?