Transfer Deadline Day: Goodbye Big Daws

Comments

• Hamstew said:

I said it earlier in the thread. According to someone at work who knows him he sees football as just a job as he doesn't actually like the game itself. So maybe he just sees it differently. Who knows.

In which case you can understand why he's chasing the money. Get as much as he can before he decides he's had enough of the game.
  • edited September 2022
    Interesting link coming out of Sky Italy (Di Marzio).

We've apparently bid £7m for Torino's (ex Chelsea) defender Ola Aina. Looks to have played most of his football as either a full back or a wing back, and looks to be comfortable on both sides.

He's a London boy who would count as home-grown, and looks to be able to offer cover on both flanks.

If we're selling Ashby, and there are injury concerns over Johnson and Cresswell, this move would make perfect sense. Could be a budget Joakin Maehle.
  • Deadline Day

Rumours Out:-

- Ashby (Links to a deal to Newcastle on a Permanent or Loan move to Preston)
    - Dawson (Strongly linked with Wolves and Aston Villa)

Rumours In:-

- AWB (Ten Hag has reportedly said AWB is staying until at least January)
    - Elvedi
    - Bednarek (Strongly linked with a loan move to us should Dawson be sold)
    - Barkley (Comments from Moyes indicate a possibility)
    - Vanaken (new deal signed with Club Brugge)
    - Dendoncker (Sky Sports indicates a bid has been accepted by Wolves from Villa)
    - Caleta Car (ExWhu Unconfirmed Reports?)
    - Ola Aina (SkySports indicate contact between West Ham and Torino)
  • edited September 2022
    Deadline Day

Rumours Out:-

- Ashby (Links to a deal to Newcastle on a Permanent or Loan move to Preston)
    - Dawson (Strongly linked with Wolves and Aston Villa)

Rumours In:-

- AWB (Ten Hag has reportedly said AWB is staying until at least January)
    - Elvedi
    - Bednarek (David Ornstein suggest Aston Villa have agreed a deal with Southampton for a year long Loan)
    - Barkley (Comments from Moyes indicate a possibility)
    - Vanaken (new deal signed with Club Brugge)
    - Dendoncker (Sky Sports indicates a bid has been accepted by Wolves from Villa)
    - Caleta Car (ExWhu Unconfirmed Reports of talks between a number of clubs including WHU)
    - Ola Aina (SkySports indicate contact between West Ham and Torino with one bid rejected)

• So as it stands, Dawson is staying.

I know that's what Moyes wants, but I do feel sorry for Dawson. Might only be for another four months, but if he wants to move for family reasons then should we have done more to get a replacement in before today?
  • One thing we know about big Daws, is that although he might be a tad dissapointed, he won't throw his toys out of the pram, and will still give 100%. Good on ya' Daws
  • I'm sure he'll have every intention to, but if his head's not in the right place then he may struggle to give 100%.

Impossible to know what he's thinking or feeling, but I'd like to think that the club is doing everything it can to help him.
  • 15.38 Bednarek's proposed West Ham move OFF, says Sky Sport https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11095/12476234/transfer-centre-live

Jan Bednarek’s proposed move to West Ham looks off.

Southampton defender Bednarek is thought to now be moving to another club, with reports suggesting Aston Villa is the new destination.

This latest development could see Craig Dawson stay at West Ham instead of moving to Wolves.
  • I suppose it’s easy to see why players such as Dendonker and Bednarek would prefer Villa to us as I imagine Gerrard has promised them they’re straight into the team.
  • A little over six hours to go. Reckon we'll get anyone in? Looking less likely on the CB front now, and no links whatsoever to midfielders or forwards today.

Aina would appear to be most likely based on Sky Italy reports (Torino are supposedly trying to sign a right back), but six hours doesn't feel like enough time for us to get him here, get a deal agreed and a medical done.
  • Yeah it’s all gone a bit quiet 💤
  • happy with our business already so very chilled today :)
  • Yeah, there's no panic pathman, just based on what Moyes has said in recent days I think he's still looking.

Personally, I'd like another CM to allow Rice and Soucek to be rested (not convinced Moyes will use Downes and Coventry much at all) and although we don't necessarily need him, I think Broja would be a good player for us.
  • I think when Ogbonna and Aguerd are fit Kehrer replaces Soucek alongside Rice.
  • Ravel49 said:

Yeah it’s all gone a bit quiet 💤

This window has been shocking

Newman who?
  • I can’t wait for next summers window. We will be looking to improve on this squad, which is as good as we’ve had. Cresswell, Dawson, Fabianski, Randolph and Ogbonna are the candidates for replacing. Getting into Europe is so important, and achievable, to keep growing the quality within the squad. COYI
  • Only meant it’s gone quiet on the rumour mill this afternoon after it looked like deals could be still done this morning
    Wasn’t mocking the business so far
    The 💤 was in reference to how quiet it has gone.. and that we might all be able to go to bed on time 😜
  • Ravel49 said:

Only meant it’s gone quiet on the rumour mill this afternoon after it looked like deals could be still done this morning
    Wasn’t mocking the business so far
    The 💤 was in reference to how quiet it has gone.. and that we might all be able to go to bed on time 😜

Oh it was in no way intended at you Rav, I was just being funny based on the lack of business today
  • Noted geez 👍🏻
  • Ex was saying stay up. 😳
  • Ex possibly teasing a Max Aaron's link
  • IronHerb said:

Ex was saying stay up. 😳

He's now saying it's closer to 'go to bed' as a number of potential deals don't look like they're going to happen.

He could, of course, just be hedging his bets.
  • He could, of course, just be hedging his bets.

Ex? Surely not 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂
  • He could, of course, just be hedging his bets.

Ex? Surely not 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂
    He's been pretty accurate.
  • edited September 2022
    IronHerb said:

I can’t wait for next summers window. We will be looking to improve on this squad, which is as good as we’ve had. Cresswell, Dawson, Fabianski, Randolph and Ogbonna are the candidates for replacing. Getting into Europe is so important, and achievable, to keep growing the quality within the squad. COYI

Someone should start the summer ‘23 transfer thread.*

*The above is not a serious post.

• Don't think we planned to make any moves untill it seemed like Dawson was on his way out

Would've likes a loan attempt for a new CM but hey ho
  • It seems like Chelsea’s scatter gun approach to signing a midfielder might holt CG being available.
    Plus Billy Gilmour is seaside bound - good signing imo
  • The bigger question is what are we all going to do from tomorrow on .My wife wanted to know when the window shut .I made a rookie mistake by saying tonight ,Now i can just see her thinking up things for me to do