Transfer Deadline Day: Goodbye Big Daws

Comments

• I'm sure I read that Southampton were prepared to let one of Stephens or Badnarek go, and that Stephens had secured a loan move somewhere, so maybe they're less prepared to let Bednarek go now.

Unless they sign Caleta-Car, of course.
  • Sounds like Southampton are close to Caleta Car and Villa are cloes to Dendoncker
  • Dendoncker to Villa, according to The Athletic. Off your list, Yeold.
  • It’s gonna happen 🫣

Watford and Rose agree mutual termination of contract
    Watford have released Danny Rose, with "both parties in agreement that their futures will head in different directions".
    The move will allow Rose to become a free agent and pursue a deal elsewhere.
  • He went there so he didnt have to move houses?
  • So it's looking like Dendoncker to Villa to replace Luiz who is going to Arsenal.

Gallagher linked again by Sky. Just can't see that one happening.

Radio silence on Broja so far this morning.
  • Chelsea Pierre Aubameyang deal done so let Everyman and his dog be linked with Broja..
  • edited September 2022
    Deadline Day

Rumours Out:-

- Ashby (Links to a deal to Newcastle on a Permanent or Loan move to Preston)
    - Dawson (Strongly linked with Wolves and Aston Villa)

Rumours In:-

- AWB (Ten Hag has reportedly said AWB is staying until at least January)
    - Elvedi
    - Bednarek (Strongly linked with a loan move to us should Dawson be sold)
    - Barkley (Comments from Moyes indicate a possibility)
    - Vanaken (new deal signed with Club Brugge)
    - Dendoncker (Sky Sports indicates a bid has been accepted by Wolves from Villa)
    - Caleta Car (ExWhu Unconfirmed Reports?)
  • Yeold, So if Dendoncker is going to Villa does that mean we can tell Wolves to take a hike re Dawson? =)
  • Yeold, So if Dendoncker is going to Villa does that mean we can tell Wolves to take a hike re Dawson? =)

I don't think we (as a club) want to tell Wolves to take a hike, if that's where Dawson wants to go; he clearly wants a move and I'm sure we'll let him go as long as we get adequate cover in.
  • buffy, I was being humorous, well at least trying to be.
  • Forest have signed Willy Boly from Wolves.....be fair, it's been at least an hour since they signed someone
  • Makes Dawson to Wolves that little bit more likely, you'd assume.
  • Pls could someone advise the site they use when they look at a players career and it details what positions they have played and how many times in that role?
  • It’s on Transfermarkt. In the detailed stats section.

• Wonderful, cheers geezer 👊🏿
  • Dawson leaving makes me more concerned about how drastic our transfer business has been. We’re losing someone who showed great leadership at times.
  • Outcast, A great influence around the club but would he be playing much?
  • Dawson leaving makes me more concerned about how drastic our transfer business has been. We’re losing someone who showed great leadership at times.

As it stands, we have a 24 man squad, and 7 of those weren't a part of the squad last year. That's 29% of the squad are brand new. It feels like a lot of turnover in one go.
  • Outcast, A great influence around the club but would he be playing much?

I think the fact we seem to be keen on replacing him means he wasn’t completely surplus. And I think it is worth having some constants while you’re transitioning. We don’t know how good any of these new defenders are going to be and it would’ve been useful to have Dawson to fall back on. I was probably more critical of him than most, because I think he did have some serious flaws in his game, but I also see his value. From our CBs, only Ogbonna would’ve been here more than a season.
  • Newcastle bid £2mil for Ashby who apparantly won't sign a new contract (current one ends summer 23)

Bit disappointing really
  • Presumably we could take it to arbitration?
  • We could if he ended up going on a free next year, but there's no guarantees about the money.
  • edited September 2022

Newcastle bid £2mil for Ashby who apparantly won't sign a new contract (current one ends summer 23)

Bit disappointing really

Ngakia and Perkins all over again. Is this kids being greedy? Believing their hype?

Or is this agents, doing what agents do?

If he joins Newcastle, he'll presumably be back to third choice when Krafth is fit again, just with a bigger wage.

In the grand scheme of things, what is £2m going to get us? I think I'd rather keep him here and see if he can genuinely challenge for the first team this season (onus in him to prove he's worth a first-team salary) and risk losing him for nothing (tribunal?) next summer. Getting rid for £2m now just doesn't seem worth it, IMO, especially considering Johnson is injured; I know Kehrer can play RB but he's building a nice relationship with Zouma in the middle which I don't want to see broken.
  • I think it does raise a few questions though. This will be the 3rd of our youngsters that we wanted to keep that has wanted out recently. I'm not saying we should bend over backwards to wage/new contract demands, but it's a little worrying (to me at least) that we can't seem to hold onto some of these players.
  • I said it earlier in the thread. According to someone at work who knows him he sees football as just a job as he doesn't actually like the game itself. So maybe he just sees it differently. Who knows.
  • edited September 2022
    Why can't we consider sending Ashby out of loan & review the situation in January? Is it that our youngsters aren't deemed good enough to progress fully into the first team squad in David Moyes eyes or could it be down to an issue with their attitude?
  • edited September 2022
    Whatever it is very few if any of them go on to great or even good things.
  • I think it does raise a few questions though. This will be the 3rd of our youngsters that we wanted to keep that has wanted out recently. I'm not saying we should bend over backwards to wage/new contract demands, but it's a little worrying (to me at least) that we can't seem to hold onto some of these players.

Not all that concerning these guys finished just behind City in the PL2 a lot of them will want opportunities and if Moyes isn't going to give them then going on loan or moving elsewhere seems logical.

Ashby is in his last year of his contract perhaps Newcastle will offer him better wages/terms and game time that we cant match.