Brighton Away Sunday 22nd 16:00

Comments

• Brighton being amazing. Breaking records left right and centre... That's FIVE home wins now. What a season!
  • edited May 2022
    Let’s not let the result ruin what has been a superb season. Disappointing today, but European football next season (as long as we get through the play-off). Losing today was not the issue, we have dropped points at various other stages this season. Brighton have taken points off of better sides than us.
  • Nothing’s more certain than a Brighton win v West Ham and goals from Gross and Welbeck.
  • Well that was a disaster. Had to take my boy home few mins before the end as our fans started fighting each other.
  • Great season

But could've been special had we just done 'something' in Jan

Europa Conferance it is, not ideal but you can't say no to European football
  • edited May 2022
    Hamstew said:

Well that was a disaster. Had to take my boy home few mins before the end as our fans started fighting each other.

So sorry to read that
  • Crucial part was early second half goal, which Fab has to take blame for (again).
  • Hamstew said:

Well that was a disaster. Had to take my boy home few mins before the end as our fans started fighting each other.

Uggh.
  • I’m not worried about it being Conference League instead of Europa. Rice has as good as said he’ll be here next year, so I think us keeping the core together, adding a few others, we’ve got a proper shot at that competition
  • Disappointing end to the season, but Brighton are a good team. Our expectations have been raised by the 6th spot last week. But bearing in mind where we were two years ago 7th place and Europa Conference spot is still good.
    We are too predictable and need some flair players. I though Moyes might give Oko-flex a chance today, but didn't. Some U-23 players hopefully will step up, but still need to but some quality players for the next season.
  • Keep an eye on the French, Spanish and Italian leagues. We could get the likes of Villarreal in the play off.
  • Its the prestige and added draw for players thats the real disappointment of missing the Europa. Not gonna lie, whatever we do in the conference is hardly likely to inspire
  • Keep an eye on the French, Spanish and Italian leagues. We could get the likes of Villarreal in the play off.

Thorn there are such things as positive vibes
  • I know but the play offs aren’t gonna be easy but hopefully we are well up for them.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedecl2022.html

This may clarify the situation regarding if we might be seeded?
  • That 2nd half was just yucky. Such a shame. Just no options to change the game. Brighton had some good players that came off the bench. We had Yarma, Noble and Johnson waiting to come on as their 2nd went it.
  • Of today's substitute, Noble, Yarmolenako, Fredericks, Kral and Randolph won't play for WHU again and Masuaku is a passenger. Ogbonna and Dawson coming to the end of their career. The Brighton game, not for the first time, showed that we lack subs who can make an impact. The front line is easily muzzled,

Moyes has a big reconstruction job to to do with some shrewd purchases, loans and may be the likes of Coventry, Perkins, Alese and Okoflex can make the step up. It is a big call.
  • I don’t agree that we need a big reconstruction job . Better that we add pieces to the jigsaw either from within or bringing in.
    We’ve got a very good main squad of 13 or 14 players that have proved themselves more than capable of going to to toe with some of the big boys, we just need to build on that.
  • Dont forget with the world cup in december .Most of our players will get a long mid winter break ,Sure the two Davids will tell Moyes that so in there eyes wont need to add anyone to the squad ,Same 11 as today for next season . =)
  • So Moyes has gone off on one after today

Some of our lads have run themselves into the ground and its down to our squad management

Yet he's saying we could be battling relegation of we don't buck our ideas up....that's what the guys need to hear
  • Dreadful, dreadful management. In a game we had to win Moyes showed no inclination to influence the game at all. Waiting until the 81st minute and doing triple subs !
    Fornals should have come off 55th minute if not sooner, as he was truly shocking today but what can Yarmo do in 9 minutes. Noble for Lanzini I almost understand, as Benrahma was not available, but we needed to win so chuck Oke-Flex on for the last 20 minutes for Coufal or Soucek. Who cares if we end up losing 7-1. When the game was 1-1 we should have been much more proactive. I admire much that Moyes has done but his timing and choices of substitutes are often naive and ridiculous.
  • Yup, wasn’t great today was it?
    Still y’know 7th in the best league in the world and and European semi final eh?
  • His use of the bench has been a long-standing criticism. Often the subs come too late or not at all.

He's been horribly limited this season, but that's partly his doing. He doesn't trust players he brought in himself and doesn't trust the U23s.

I've said it before, but this is a big summer for him. If he feels like he can't trust enough of the players he has at his disposal, then he needs to convince GSBK to get in more that he can.
  • I see Coufal has posted a message on Twitter ending with ‘hopefully see you next season’. Seems like the squad got a right telling off.
  • edited May 2022
    He may be referring to this.

After the match, an irate Moyes tore into his players.
    “I’m just feeling there’s a missed opportunity and I’m really disappointed with our overall performance,” Moyes said.
    “Second half, you could have driven a bus through us so many times. We didn’t show any real desire to make it hard for them to score against us.
    “We didn’t play well and not like a West Ham team second half. Really disappointing – no resilience, no toughness, nothing about us in the second half.
    “If we’re going to play like that then we’re going to be challenging in a different part of the league. I won’t have them if they’re going to play like that.”

I would imagine this occurred as soon as they were back in the dressing room and I’m sure it was borne out of his frustration at the second half performance. Since the turn of the year we’ve always started the beginnings of halves as if we are asleep but today we were virtually comatose second half.
  • He may be referring to this.

After the match, an irate Moyes tore into his players.
    “I’m just feeling there’s a missed opportunity and I’m really disappointed with our overall performance,” Moyes said.
    “Second half, you could have driven a bus through us so many times. We didn’t show any real desire to make it hard for them to score against us.
    “We didn’t play well and not like a West Ham team second half. Really disappointing – no resilience, no toughness, nothing about us in the second half.
    “If we’re going to play like that then we’re going to be challenging in a different part of the league. I won’t have them if they’re going to play like that.”

Maybe it works but I'm worried by this

I feel like these guys have given everything that Moyes is demanding of them, they play when they are exhausted and they don't go hiding....yet on the last game of the season after securing 7th and Europe he's gone mental at then?

He always talks about how great a group he has so is this really the way

Hes been harsh in the past but this is the most he's dug out the players, hope heads don't drop as I think they've given us everything they've got and mentally they must be exhausted to have gone through europa like that and then miss out by small margins
  • Collectively, the side has lost rhythm in the last 10 games & I feel everybody takes blame for that. In hindsight, I felt we lost a couple of games based on rotation (Chelsea, Arsenal) where we moved the side around after spending the entirety of the season making very few changes. This caused us to lose a lot of momentum. We lost those games with a focus on the Europa League, which we also lost. That was Moyes’ call. It then becomes hard to regain form at a key point in the season.

The reason Moyes is so angry is because he knows he threw the eggs in the Europa basket & it ended up costing us 6th. Imagine had we been pipped to 7th too.
  • This is what is being reported but what his actual words to them were we will never know unless they make it public. From what I’ve seen so far one or two of the players have come out and said they didn’t really play well at all in the second half.
  • edited May 2022
    A disappointing end to the season but , come on, most of us would have taken this before the season started. Perhaps the people that hold the purse strings should look in the mirror and think " what might have been if we'd spent a few quid ." Who's to blame by not strengthening the squad we'll never know. An opportunity missed? Perhaps but yet again unbelievable from where we were three years ago.
  • Lukerz said:

3-1

I just can’t believe how much they have our number

Hate games like this. They had nothing to play for, but still manage to turn us over.
    How about professional pride?