Burnley (home) Sunday 17th April 2:15pm (not on TV)

Comments

• Surprised (not really) at the negativity. Only watched the second half but thought we were outstanding. They're an awkward team to fall behind against.

After a mammoth night on Thursday, we performed to a really high level and gave it everything. On another day we score 4 in that second half.

We can be disappointed at the result but not having any bad words about the performance. Players gave it everything.

• Also did more in 30 minutes then vlasic and Lan

Last season 65pts got us sixth place so we now need 13pts from fifteen to equal that. It’s a very tough ask with CFC, AFC & MCFC still to play. 😬

It isn't happening
    And if it doesn't, it doesn't.....

It's still been a great season...so far..

We need to improve on Benrahama, Vlasic etc etc, good players, but that's about it, not good enough IMO...also some obvious help with a recognised striker...Antonio can't be blamed for being the sole forward used, that blame is with Moyes IMO... He nowadays looks shattered and has to pick which games to give it his all.....

But we didn't lose, and a point for Burnley keeps Everton in the mix for relegation....
    Yes it's been a fantastic season

But if we used the Vlasic money on an alternative to Antonio it could've been even that much better

I'd put all eggs into the Europa, don't think that's Moyes style though
  • edited April 2022
    On another note, if Burnley go down, wouldn't mind Pope joining us ( and not just based on today !) probably out of our price range tho!
  • We could have been 2 down at half time but in the end Pope made some great saves . A draw was probably about right both teams could have won it .

Last season 65pts got us sixth place so we now need 13pts from fifteen to equal that. It’s a very tough ask with CFC, AFC & MCFC still to play. 😬

It isn't happening

We need to improve on Benrahama, Vlasic etc etc, good players, but that's about it, not good enough IMO...also some obvious help with a recognised striker...Antonio can't be blamed for being the sole forward used, that blame is with Moyes IMO... He nowadays looks shattered and has to pick which games to give it his all.....

But we didn't lose, and a point for Burnley keeps Everton in the mix for relegation....

But if we used the Vlasic money on an alternative to Antonio it could've been even that much better

Think Moyes probably thought he was, but has underachieved.....
    Agree with Moyes, he likes to play 90% same players all the time, can't see him changing that any time soon.....
  • I think with Vlasic we can give him more time. Fornals was pony in his first season and from memory he played a lot more than Vlasic has.
  • Surprised (not really) at the negativity. Only watched the second half but thought we were outstanding. They're an awkward team to fall behind against.

After a mammoth night on Thursday, we performed to a really high level and gave it everything. On another day we score 4 in that second half.

We can be disappointed at the result but not having any bad words about the performance. Players gave it everything.

Nope can’t agree with you there. That was a relegation type performance. Every player was rubbish, we’re not qualifying for anything now, in fact we should forfeit the last few games and send the players on their jollies.

• One thing I want to say, we have hardly missed Zouma, Diop IMO in the 2 games he's come in for has played really well IMO.
  • They are Slacker, they're going to Spain. 😉
  • Slacker, I didn’t know you could see the future. ☹️
  • Slacker, I didn’t know you could see the future. ☹️

I’ve learned from the master.

• Slacker, Who is that? 😁
  • Couldn’t possibly say.
  • Anyway, I'm still on a high from Thursday. Bring that cup home boys and let the minions fight over league places

It isn't happening

Moyes will do what he's done all season. It's a risk, but unfortunately there's almost no alternative.

Thing is, winning the EL has become a realistic option. We've beaten Sevilla and Lyon and, on paper at least, they're better than Frankfurt, Leipzig and Rangers. And yeah, I'd be tempted to go all out for it now.

• Thing is, winning the EL has become a realistic option. We've beaten Sevilla and Lyon and, on paper at least, they're better than Frankfurt, Leipzig and Rangers. And yeah, I'd be tempted to go all out for it now.

Leipzig finished second in the Bundesliga last season, and are currently 4th this season, so certainly better than Lyon and probably on a par with Sevilla, even on paper.

• Leipzig are definitely the favourites but Moyes will fancy his chances of making the final.

It isn't happening

Thing is, winning the EL has become a realistic option. We've beaten Sevilla and Lyon and, on paper at least, they're better than Frankfurt, Leipzig and Rangers. And yeah, I'd be tempted to go all out for it now.
    On paper we’re better than Brentford and Burnley.
  • MIA, Problem is we have to play them on grass. ☹️
  • Two world class saves from Pope & a poor finish from Antonio the difference today between 3 points & 1.
  • Lukerz said:

Two world class saves from Pope & a poor finish from Antonio the difference today between 3 points & 1.

And a terrible penalty was the difference between 1 and 0
  • I think we played really well considering our exploits on Thursday. We didn't look tired and were probing right to the last minute, but for Pope having a great game and some poor decision making and finishing regard Antonio we would have taken all three points. We have a real spirit and great fitness levels regard most players.

On the downside we really have not taken our chances to get points on the board in these last two matches. With the teams we have to play I think Brentford and Burnley really needed to yield 4 points minimum.

I can't see us taking the points necessary in the league now but it would look a more realistic task to beat Frankfurt and either of Rangers and Leipzig, so in my view we really do need go all out for that now.

Were I Burnley fan I would be gutted regard that penalty. What was he doing taking it and then trying a fancy tip toe? It's not like his team are fighting for their premiership survival or anything.

• edited April 2022
    Of course we need to go for the Cup. We haven’t won anything other than a play-off final in decades. The EL should be the clear focus this season now as it results in a trophy. The fact you also get CL is a bonus. Today was disappointing though as it would have put us right back into the mix for European qualification via the league placings & I think having as many options available as possible is better than relying on two huge games. But I think everybody will agree we prioritise the semi-finals of the EL over anything else now as these chances don’t come around often.

We need enough points now to get clear of Wolves as I think we’d all be thankful for another European season next year. I don’t really think we’re in a position to be picky about whether it’s the Conference League or the Europa League given our lack of experience over the last few years.
  • Only thing I would have done differently today was introduce Fornals at HT.
  • Hamstew said:

I think with Vlasic we can give him more time. Fornals was pony in his first season and from memory he played a lot more than Vlasic has.

No he wasn't.
  • According to SofaScore, the Argentinian was the Hammers’ joint-second best player, picking up a 7.4/10 rating alongside right-back Ben Johnson with goalscorer Soucek the highest-ranked with a score of 7.5.

The Czech Republic international’s goal was assisted by the 29-year-old, his fourth of the campaign, who also managed to impressively complete 93% of his passes whilst making 65 touches in a lively 79 minutes.

With three key passes and a 100% dribble success rate, the playmaker was a handful to deal with for Burnley. Moreover, Lanzini also won half of his duels.
  • edited April 2022
    IronHerb said:

Hamstew said:

I think with Vlasic we can give him more time. Fornals was pony in his first season and from memory he played a lot more than Vlasic has.

No he wasn't.
    I think he was? I'm sure he was. I actually remember giving him a hard time and then holding my hands up when he improved. Maybe it was half a season but he definitely took a while to get into the swing of things.
  • I believe that was the first penalty for Burnley this season.
  • IronHerb said:

Nah!

Yeah!