Burnley (home) Sunday 17th April 2:15pm (not on TV)

edited April 2022 in Match Threads
Another Sunday against another side in the bottom half of the table and let's hope we don't suffer another Europa League hangover like we did against Brentford.

After six seasons in the Premier League it looks as if Dyche's luck has finally run out although to be fair that's some achievement given that the most Burnley have ever paid for a player is £15m (Chris Woods 2017, Ben Gibson 2018)

Our last trip to Turf Moor we dominated the match, Burnley parked the bus, Fabianski had one save all day while Pope played a blinder and it ended up 0-0. That was December when they were 17th, now they're 18th and four points behind Everton, they desperately need a win so they might be a little more open.

Since then Wood has gone to Newcastle and been replaced by Wout Weghorst of Wolfsberg (try saying that three times with a mouthful of Rice Krispies). Mee, Pieters and Gudmundsson are all injured

Dyche plays 4-4-2 although he did try 4-5-1 against City a couple of weeks ago, lost 2-0.

Pope
Lawton Collins Tarkowski Taylor
Lennon Westwood Brownhill Cornet
Rodriguez Weghorst

I'll get to see the first half then have to go to work. Train 116 Stratford westbound 3:50pm going to West Ruislip, back again eastbound 5:57pm going to Epping.

It's going to be 0-0 half time, 5-0 full time...

Comments

• We are so gonna be thinking of the semi til it comes around. Settling for that now we are actually through ;)
  • they have sacked the manager, what a mistake
  • New manager bounce against us? Would probably be about right.
  • Let's whack 'em! Dunno who they'll get now. Must surely have a plan?
  • Meanwhile, somewhere up north:

• edited April 2022
    Doubt a new manager will be in place before game, but seems odd unless they have a replacement lined up 🤔
  • Bizarre timing. Burnley have always been basically a Championship squad punching about their weight. A lot of that seemed to be down to Dyche.

Who do they think is going to come in with 8 games left and get more out of that very average squad?

Should be good for us.
  • edited April 2022
    Not just Dyche, assistant manager Ian Woan, First team coach Steve Stone and goalkeeping coach Billy Mercer also gone

This from the Burnley website

"Under-23s coach Mike Jackson, assisted by Academy Director Paul Jenkins, Under-23s goalkeeping coach Connor King and Club Captain Ben Mee have been asked to take charge of the team for Sunday’s game with West Ham United"

Sacking the entire senior management team two days before the next match and with just 8 games left. Seems like the board have accepted relegation as inevitable

I wonder how many Burnley players are checking their relegation release clauses
  • Michael Jackson coming to hear us sing about bubbles, you couldn't make it up
  • yoyo said:

Let's whack 'em! Dunno who they'll get now. Must surely have a plan?

There must be two or three ex Watford managers knocking about.

• Bizarre timing. Burnley have always been basically a Championship squad punching about their weight. A lot of that seemed to be down to Dyche.

Who do they think is going to come in with 8 games left and get more out of that very average squad?

Should be good for us.

They lost on Saturday to Norwich, I don’t understand at all why they would have waited til Friday, unless they have someone ready to come in and we’re liking it up this week.
  • edited April 2022
    alderz said:

They lost on Saturday to Norwich, I don’t understand at all why they would have waited til Friday, unless they have someone ready to come in and we’re liking it up this week.

If they do have someone ready to come in then he won't be installed until Monday, they've already said that the u-23 coach will be in charge on Sunday

Bookies like BFS, Rooney or ex-Burnley player/current Cheltenham Town manager Michael Duff

I expect the pundits will be keeping a lookout to see who is sitting in the stands
  • I hadn't realised they'd only won 4 games all season.
  • Michael Duff - Championship Manager 2001-02 legend
  • edited April 2022
    Strange decision. Dyche is exact;y who you would want in their situation, I think they have over achieved in previous seasons due to his ability to get the best out of average players. He is not someone I would want at West Ham but if your aim is realistically to fight and maintain your premiership status then he is a good manager to have.

Board panicked in my view.
  • alderz said:

Bizarre timing. Burnley have always been basically a Championship squad punching about their weight. A lot of that seemed to be down to Dyche.

Should be good for us.

I reckon they wanted to give Dyche his Cadbury’s Crunchie Egg
  • Lukerz said:

alderz said:

Bizarre timing. Burnley have always been basically a Championship squad punching about their weight. A lot of that seemed to be down to Dyche.

Should be good for us.

I reckon they wanted to give Dyche his Cadbury’s Crunchie Egg
    If you’re doing eggs on good Friday you need to get your life in order
  • It was wrapped up for him to take home for Sunday
  • edited April 2022
    Fabianski
    Johnson - Dawson - Diop - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Bowen - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio

Areola, Coufal, Fredericks, Masuaku, Kral, Noble, Lanzini, Vlasic, Yarmolenko

2-0
  • This can go one of two ways. We either ride the wave following the highs of Thursday or fail to lift ourselves following the highs of Thursday. Either way we're on a high from Thursday, Did I mention the highs of Thursday?

2-0 Hammers as we ride the wave.

COYI
  • If we fail to lift ourselves, that may be compensated by the loss of Dyche.
  • There’s probably no team in the league for whom the manager is as integral to their identity and the way they play.

I imagine losing Dyche will hit the squad really hard.

We may be tired after last night but I also hope the players see this as a big game to give ourselves more European nights next year.
  • edited April 2022
    I amnot a fan of Burnley. But I feel sorry for Dyche. Am I missing something?
  • Three points tomorrow is huge as Arsenal next play Chelsea and Man Utd, Whilst Man Utd play Liverpool before the Arsenal match.
  • 2-0 Home win.

Allez fers à repasser. (Sorry, still in French mode 😃 )
  • This is a massive game ahead of the next week. I hope we will be flying off the enthusiasm of the win on Thursday.
  • Lukerz said:

This is a massive game ahead of the next week. I hope we will be flying off the enthusiasm of the win on Thursday.

Gentle reminder that we lost the game after going through against Sevilla (1-3 to Spurs). Obviously Spurs are better than Burnley, but the idea of momentum post big result doesn’t always come to bear
  • It'll be a great atmosphere, everyone's still buzzing after Thursday night. COYI
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

This is a massive game ahead of the next week. I hope we will be flying off the enthusiasm of the win on Thursday.

Gentle reminder that we lost the game after going through against Sevilla (1-3 to Spurs). Obviously Spurs are better than Burnley, but the idea of momentum post big result doesn’t always come to bear
    True but I do think that was a tough game at the time, especially away.
  • We didn't play an extra 30 minutes either on Thursday.