Brentford vs West Ham (A) Sunday 14:00 KO

Comments

• Typical post Thursday Sunday really
  • When you think how much effort most of these players put in on that second half on Thursday, it's easy to understand the performance this afternoon.

Given the league situation, Moyes had to put out a team to try to win the game; unfortunately that means playing the same players because the squad is so thin.

I don't think I'll ever understand the Vlasic and Kral signings. 50% of our summer business utterly wasted.
  • I understand Vlasic signing, it’s just not worked out. Kral is a really weird one though
  • Actually forgot Bowen was still on pitch.
    Very poor all round.
    Subs made no impact and not good enough.
    Said it many times, Vlasic not good enough IMO and serious doubts about Benrahma, not consistent enough.
    We have had a great season so far, so not gonna be too despondent, but today was poor.
  • The result somewhat flatters us, especially in the 2nd half it was simply a tired team lacking ideas against an in form team full of confidence.

Only player for me who can hold his head up high for us was once again Dawson

Those who called for Antonio to be rested were clearly right and I am sorry that I also called it in that we made a right old cods of the opportunity to gain proper points against our immediate rivals

Ho hum
  • Yeah I’m starting to think we knock the Benrahma transfer on the head. Just don’t think he’s going to cut it.
  • First goal summed it up:

Cresswell should deal with it, he can’t be bothered. Leaves it to Diop.

Diop ambles over with no intensity, taking a heavy touch & running it out of play.

The entire defence is asleep for the quick throw-in, but especially Diop (out of position) & Cresswell (wrong side).
  • Tis all about squad depth I tell you
  • Tis all about squad depth I tell you

If only we had some
  • Too late now, we've signed him and I'm not sure we're going to get our money back.
  • Yup, very poor today, deserved nothing got nothing.
    I was impressed by Brentford and especially Erickson.
    Still, not the end of the world eh?

• I don't think I'll ever understand the Vlasic and Kral signings. 50% of our summer business utterly wasted.

Problem was that in the 1st January we already knew that both those two transfers were awful and weren't going to work out

But by the end of the window we had added no one

Terrible decision from Moyes/board

Spurs invested in Jan and now they're likely going to be playing in the champions league next year
  • alderz said:

I understand Vlasic signing, it’s just not worked out. Kral is a really weird one though

Vlasic is weird too, IMO. Was he signed as a No10? Or a winger? Or a back-up striker?

Moyes clearly doesn't think he's up to it in any of those positions, so to drop £30m on him is crazy. Moyes is supposedly all about due diligence and will only sign players that will strengthen the first team - remember the rhetoric that was churned out when January came and went? - and yet he sanctioned £30m on a player that is evidently not good enough.
  • Too late now, we've signed him and I'm not sure we're going to get our money back.

Just another to add to the long list then IMO.
  • Every manager in the history of football has made bad buys, Moyes is no exception.
    They don’t always work out.
  • edited April 2022
    We have been trying to coast results for a while now. I get why, to juggle the balance of Europe and League, but you don't get away with it forever. As soon as you play a decent side, or a motivated side, you come unstuck.

Everton, Villa - we managed to do it. Spurs/Brentford - been found out.
  • If we manage to get past Lyon, we are gonna have to rest for the league

Top 4 isn't attainable after today, 6 games left but Spurs have 6 points on us, plus an extra game and a much better GD
  • Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can’t now help but think we should have just played the back up players today. They would have, at least, had energy.
  • Let's hope Kurt's injury is not a bad one
  • Need him desperately
  • Lukerz said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can’t now help but think we should have just played the back up players today. They would have, at least, had energy.

Who are they?
  • edited April 2022
    You would like to think that given the chance, that our 2nd string players would have shown up today, chance to shine etc, but unfortunately, I have not seen any evidence that they are up for the task and even more unfortunately, it does not appear that the coaching staff have seen any evidence either.

Humpth
  • You would like to think that given the chance, that our 2nd string players would have shown up today, chance to shine etc, but unfortunately, I have not seen any evidence that they are up for the task and even more unfortunately, it does not appear that the coaching staff have seen any evidence either.

Humpth

Apart from beating Man City and Man Utd. you mean?

• Lukerz said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can’t now help but think we should have just played the back up players today. They would have, at least, had energy.

Who are they?
    The back up XI today would presumably be:

Fabianksi
    Ashby Diop Alese Masuaku
    Noble Kral
    Yarmolenko Vlasic Oko-Flex
    Perkins

Which tells you everything about our squad depth.
  • Quite a few people complained about Fornals last season and look at him now. Hopefully Vlasic will improve in the same way next season. Benrahma’s number appears to be up so can see him finding pastures new in the summer. Squad depth not going to flog that subject yet again. Today was down to the lack options and is very disappointing. Still hope 6th is attainable.
  • As poor as we were today all will be forgotten and forgiven if we come out on top Thursday. However that goes though expect the same rubbish on Sunday against Burnley.
  • It was a really poor performance, but the overall negativity is surprising to me. I was fully expecting the players to be both knackered and distracted today
  • Sorry to say mate but I found the negativity on here the least surprising part of my day.
  • alderz said:

It was a really poor performance, but the overall negativity is surprising to me. I was fully expecting the players to be both knackered and distracted today

Knackered, I get, but distracted? It was a huge game today. European qualification for next season may have depended on it, so I would hope that no-one on the pitch was thinking about Thursday.
  • alderz said:

It was a really poor performance, but the overall negativity is surprising to me. I was fully expecting the players to be both knackered and distracted today

Knackered, I get, but distracted? It was a huge game today. European qualification for next season may have depended on it, so I would hope that no-one on the pitch was thinking about Thursday.
    Cresswell said last week that last Thursday was the biggest game of his career. For most of the other players this Thursday will be. The commentators kept talking about Thursday, I know that I was constantly thinking about it. I think it’s not a stretch to think that it would be in the players minds. Nobody wanted to be injured, and if they were already tired then it’s easier to not stretch yourselves, I reckon