Emirates FA Cup 4th Rd - Kidderminster Harriers v West Ham United, Sat 5th Feb 12.30, BBC TV.

Comments

• I'd like to see Kral play a bit more, but when we play with two central midfielders you don't have much choice but to play Soucek and Rice - who are two of the fittest players I've ever watched, neither of them ever seem to run out of steam. Then I have the sentimentality thing of it being Noble's last season and wanting him to play. Also, Noble really hasn't done anything wrong this season (except that penalty) so it's not like Kral is being particularly hard done by, he's just the 4th choice.
  • Is Noble even fit for this one?
  • I really hope Rice plays in this one.
  • He was on the bench against United so I would think he is fit.
  • Also just seen that our U23s play on the same day so we will have to take a strong squad.
  • So if Perkins is playing for the U23s, and Antonio will only just have returned from international duty, it looks like it's Yarmo up front...
  • edited February 2022
    So you would risk Antonio at Kidderminster, internationals or not?
  • IronHerb, That is where our strength in depth within the squad comes into play......Not!
  • Not really.
  • IronHerb, Who is the back up for Antonio?
  • Doesn't mean Perkins plays for the U23s though. In fact I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the first team squad. Trouble is they have just let our other U23 striker go out on loan somewhere. Bonkers really.
  • IronHerb, Who is the back up for Antonio?

Against Kidderminster, just about anybody.
  • IronHerb said:

So you would risk Antonio at Kidderminster, internationals or not?

No, it was more a comment about Ham's admiration of Yarmo.

Antonio was never going to play this game. Yarmo should have enough to do well against Kidderminster, but I'd like to see Perkins get a game. At least it will give us an idea of where he's at.
    Hamstew said:

Doesn't mean Perkins plays for the U23s though. In fact I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the first team squad. Trouble is they have just let our other U23 striker go out on loan somewhere. Bonkers really.

Maybe Swyer will play for the U23s? Just feel like we need to include Perkins in as many first team squads as we can, given how likely it is that we'll need him over the rest of the season.
  • Hamstew said:

Doesn't mean Perkins plays for the U23s though. In fact I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the first team squad. Trouble is they have just let our other U23 striker go out on loan somewhere. Bonkers really.

Odubeko was on loan before Christmas so isn't a loss in that respect..
  • I know but I think people expected another striker to come in. One hasn't so I feel it's strange that Odubeko has gone out when you'd assume Perkins may be around the first team squad a but more.
  • I don't think he will though. He hasn't been there all season, apart from the odd game, and there I don't see that changing.
  • I think the U23s had Swyer, Perkins and Odubeko as forward options. With Mipo gone and, as Ham says, Perkins expected to be more involved with the first team, the U23s may be struggling for numbers too.

Whatever way you look at it, we're short of striker options across the age groups.
  • Put Perkins, Okoflex, Alese or Baptise in the Kidderminster game
  • IronHerb said:

I don't think he will though. He hasn't been there all season, apart from the odd game, and there I don't see that changing.

I don't either. But he will if Antonio gets injured.
  • You mean when he gets injured.
  • Just watched the Inside Rush Green videos on You Tube and there was no Dawson at training today. He was carrying an injury before the break so I wonder if that's finally caught up with him. Hopefully just precautionary, but would be about right if we had an injury immediately after the window closes.

Antonio missing, obvs, but Noble was there so I imagine he'll start. Lots of U23s players involved so it looks like it'll be a mixture of age groups for this one.
  • Jon Moss and no VAR. 😱
  • edited February 2022
    VAR really does protect players as well as getting decisions right. I remember the old days when it would be common for lower league teams to try and close the gap in class by aggression on such occasions.

At least it's on the BBC
  • Listening to the press conference Moyes seems to imply we'll be playing a strong team.
  • I think we should Ham. If it was only Antonio who was on international duty ( I stand to be corrected on that) then the squad have had a good rest and the strongest team should start.
  • edited February 2022
    I understand why we might play a weakened team (injuries etc) but we may want to gain some confidence after recent results and get rid of any cobwebs after a break.
    However, we'll hopefully win this game whoever plays.
    Anyway, I always think it's quite nice for the fans and players of so called minnows to get their day in the sun against big players/teams, on TV! Think how we'd feel vs Barcelona x 5! 😁 ⚒️
  • We have an important game on Tuesday so personally I don't think we should risk players who don't have much cover, i.e. Zouma and Cresswell. I wouldn't play Bowen or Rice, either.

Even our kids should have enough to beat non-league opposition, but it's the cup and we all know what can happen.

A mixture of first team and U23s should be enough.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60168504

A little piece by the Kidderminster manager about his week.
  • Moyes on Kral: "Alex's been a bit unfortunate not to feature, but he had a period where he missed out a little bit with COVID in a period with more games. I would like to give him an opportunity to see what he can do."

Looks like Kral may be starting
  • edited February 2022
    I think this is a good game for Zouma. He gets more minutes under his belt after 2 weeks of a break/training & this shouldn’t be too intense of a game.

Areola
    Fredericks - Diop - Zouma - Johnson
    Kral - Rice
    Bowen - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio