West Ham Vs Southampton, Sun 26th Dec - Kick off 3pm

edited December 2021 in Match Threads
Time to get this train well and firmly back on the tracks. We need three points from this, no ifs, no buts and no respecting the point. It's back on track with goals from Bowen and Rice.

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Again, this is going to come down to Cresswell.

Hopefully we can see:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Johnson
    Rice - Soucek
    Vlasic - Fornals - Benrahma
    Bowen

Areola, Johnson, Fredericks, Masuaku, Noble, Kral, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Antonio

I felt Bowen has shown enough to have a go up top whilst Antonio is out of form & I think Vlasic had a reasonable game last night, whilst Lanzini has had 3 pretty average games since Chelsea. If no Cresswell I imagine Johnson may play as a LB. Antonio on the bench if he’s recovered from COVID.
  • Isn’t it wild that 2 years ago the general consensus was Cresswell was done and we needed to upgrade, and now he’s basically irreplaceable and one of our key 2/3 players.
  • edited December 2021
    What can we learn from this...
  • MrsGrey said:

What can learn from this...

We are football fans so the Obs answer is nothing ;)
  • MrsGrey said:

What can learn from this...

Certainly not what time the game is on in other parts of the world.
  • He even throws in a Weather forecast
  • alderz said:

Isn’t it wild that 2 years ago the general consensus was Cresswell was done and we needed to upgrade, and now he’s basically irreplaceable and one of our key 2/3 players.

We still need an upgrade on him though. Wrong side of 30 and Masuaku is not a left back he has zero competition in that Left back slot.
  • alderz said:

Isn’t it wild that 2 years ago the general consensus was Cresswell was done and we needed to upgrade, and now he’s basically irreplaceable and one of our key 2/3 players.

I was one of his most vocal critics, and yes, his resurgence under Moyes has been very impressive. We've definitely missed him and his fitness will be key to the rest of our season.

That said, I don't think he's irreplaceable. As I say, we've missed him, but a lot of that is because of how limited the cover is. Johnson and Masuaku make Cresswell important to this team. If we had someone like Lukas Digne at the club, Cresswell's absence wouldn't be anywhere near as noticeable, IMO.

So as much as Moyes can be applauded for improving Cresswell's game, I think some criticism is also valid for making him so vital by allowing the left back position to become a single point of failure.
  • I know Bowen took his goal really well but he was missing from the game as a whole. If we go with him again I think we have to look at how we can play in a way that works for him. Maybe we need to get players like Lanzini/Benrahma closer to him so he can do the types of thing he did for that goal because otherwise he’s not a big presence as a striker. The other option is getting in behind with pace but we don’t really have those options on the wings. We’re not slow in attack but we don’t have a really fast player anymore for counter attacks.
  • Bowen is really fast.
  • IronHerb said:

Bowen is really fast.

Hard to understand why. Has he done some special training?
  • IronHerb said:

Bowen is really fast.

He's fast but I'm not sure he's really fast. I can't remember him being able to get behind a defence with pace much. And anyway, my point is that he needs another fast player to help like Lingard did, as we lose his pace on the wing when he's up front.
  • W

IronHerb said:

Bowen is really fast.

Hard to understand why. Has he done some special training?
    Apparently he works out at a special farm in the Hull area, doesn't he Mrs Grey 😉
  • Preston, does he run around like a sheep dog?
  • Claret & Hugh state Cresswell has a chipped bone in his back & estimated time is 6-12 weeks & he is not expected to return over Xmas.
  • Johnson is not effective as a left-back and Masuaku is a poor defender. I Cresswell's absence, the best thing to do is to replace like with like and that means playing Longelo at left-back. He can't be worse than Masuaku and knows the role.
  • We must take those three points. And we can do it. It's going to be a good game!
  • Sky go 2-0 and Lawro goes 1-2
  • Of course he does
  • Thank goodness for that. I worry if Lawro predicts a Hammers win.
  • Saints will have 40yo Willy Caballero between the sticks as Alex McCarthy and Fraser Forster are both injured. Caballero has conceded 5 goals in two games

The alternative is 24yo Harry Lewis who has never played in the Premier League

Strikers Adam Armstrong and Che Adams are also doubtful, they have been replaced by Armando Broja, currently Saints top scorer with 4 in 13 and 22yo Nathan Tella although Shane Long and Theo Walcott are both available,
  • Is Nathan related to Raymond?
  • Nathan's brother is Knutt.....
  • Does he have a sister called Frui?
  • The bad news

Willy Caballero has been in goal against us three times and we lost all three

The good news

All three games were 2016-17 season when he was at City
  • I see both Liverpool st and fenchurch st lines closed today can see a lot of people not being able to get to the game today
  • I'm blowing this one out. No overground running so the tube will be rammed, and even then you have to get close to a station. I've been lucky so far with covid so not pushing it today.
  • edited December 2021
    Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Johnson
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Vlasic - Fornals
    Antonio

Areola, Baptiste, Fredericks, Masuaku, Kral, Noble, Lanzini, Benrahma, Yarmolenko

Is the side I would like to see today

Time to get back on track ahead of the window opening; 2-0
  • You could walk there Herbie.
  • Is Antonio even available ?