Brighton (H) - Weds 1st December, 7.30pm

I'm back and better than ever.

Comments

• Oh great. 0-0

• Jorderz when he sees a match thread opportunity
  • Lanzini has to start for me.
  • We must be due a win against this lot.
  • There’s got to be a little bit of rotation, so maybe Fab, Coufal Dawson Zouma Masuaku, Noble Rice, Bowen Lanzini Fornals, Antonio
  • I hope Cresswell is fit for this one. Lamptey created five chances in their last game from right back, so we need our best left back available.

Soucek has been below par for a while now so I'd like to see Kral start next to Rice.

Fab
    Johnson Dawson Zouma Cresswell (🤞)
    Rice Kral
    Bowen Fornals Benrahma
    Antonio

With Chelsea next, I think we really need to attack this game. Brighton have been good, but we should have enough to get the result.
  • I'm a bit disappointed we never saw more of Lanzini at CM after he looked pretty decent towards the end of last season.
  • edited November 2021
    Is a below par Soucek worse than a ... Kral?

Imo, no.
  • I hope Cresswell is fit for this one. Lamptey created five chances in their last game from right back

For context, that was against Villa.

• edited November 2021
    alderz said:

There’s got to be a little bit of rotation, so maybe Fab, Coufal Dawson Zouma Masuaku, Noble Rice, Bowen Lanzini Fornals, Antonio

It's a quick turnaround, for sure. I'd expect biggest need for change in MF. Nobes for Rice who put in a massive shift. others I think should be ok to start. Injuries permitting, and tactical/form requirements, which I'll leave to the gaffer as he knows more about it than I do.

But Benrahma hasn't been all that convincing, imo. So would be happy to see Lingard start.

Oh, wait..
  • MrsGrey said:

Is a below par Soucek worse than a ... Kral?

Imo, no.

We'll never know unless Kral gets some game time. He looked good against Rapid the other night and did well against Utd in the cup. Soucek has been a shadow of his last season self; Kral could actually be an improvement.

Moyes will obviously know more than any of us, but I for one would be surprised if Kral wasn't capable of at least matching Soucek's current form.
  • I am not sure Soucek form has dived so much, I think he is staying deeper to allow Rice a more roaming role. I can't think of too many mistakes that have caused problems but feel he was so much more visible last season as HE was free to roam forward. You get a different asset from them in Rice is more penetrating as he carries the ball forward but Soucek would get into the box and meet a cross.

I wonder when Benrhama goes in January if there may be a case for a 4 3 3

Coufal, Zouma Dawson Creswell
    soucek Rice Kral
    Bowen Antonio Fornals

When we are pushing forward Rice gets forward in a roaming role and the two others close the gap he was in and when we are out of possession he drops back into his defensive position.
  • Lingers start zmrs Grey?
  • Missed the oh, wait
  • edited November 2021
    MrsGrey said:

I hope Cresswell is fit for this one. Lamptey created five chances in their last game from right back

For context, that was against Villa.
    I think OCS meant the 0-0 draw with Leeds on Saturday.

Lamptey was excellent but fortunately for Leeds Maupay and Moder were useless up front. Lamptey was subbed after 75 minutes and hasn't played a full 90 minutes since he returned from a serious hamstring injury in September. He's not played a midweek game since returning with at least seven days between matches so Potter might rest him

Lallana was an unused sub against Leeds, first time this season he's been in the matchday squad and not been on the pitch

-------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton have drawn six of the last eight league games, lost the other two and haven't won since 19 September

We've drawn five in a row against Brighton

The omens are not good. our only hope is that Lawro predicts a draw
  • Thanks Aslef, I will amend my comment...

'For context, that was against Leeds.'
  • Fab, Johnson, Dawson, Zouma, Coufal (if Cresswell injured), Soucek, Rice, Lanzini, Vlasic, Bowen, Fornals for me.
  • Lawro goes 2-0 and Sky 1-1.
  • Lawro goes 2-0 and Sky 1-1.

So....

Draw?
  • Would love a win as we all would …. A cheer up is needed out here in SA…..⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Diop - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Fornals - Benrahma - Lanzini
    Bowen

Think Antonio looks a little off so a place on the bench for him to allow Lanzini a start
  • We must, smash them.
  • Fabianski
    Coufal, Zouma, Diop, Johnson
    Soucek, Rice
    Bowen, Lanzini, Fornals
    Antonio
  • I’d like to see:

Fab
    Coufal Zouma Diop Cresswell (🤞)
    Rice Kral Lanzini
    Bowen Fornals
    Antonio

- over Johnson due to the Czech offering a bit more going forward.
    - Zouma and Diop partnership with the former playing on his favoured right hand side.
    - Game time for Kral who seems more energetic and action packed than Soucek who seems a little leggy and could do with a rest.
    - Game time for Lanzini. He deserves it after his cameo performances recently.
    - Bowen back in the 11 but Benrahama dropped to the bench as he’s a bit off form
    - Antonio despite being a little off form will likely bag a goal in this one. He suits running at players rather than his back to goal and I think this one will be more up his streak. Just needs to ensure his first touch is solid and he doesn’t over run the ball.
  • I was at the Man City game and have been surprised by some of the comments about players being off form. Particularly Antonio and Dawson.

To me Antonio worked his socks of all game, was a handful for their defence in the first half, created dangerous situations in the box 2 or 3 times, won at least one free kick where the defender panicked against his power and pace, pulled wide and provided an outlet when we were under pressure and helped out either fullback when we were under the cosh. He didn't score but he will if he keeps playing like that. Can't see why Moyes would drop him.

Dawson was solid at the back, stayed calm and they had to work the ball out wide rather than target him and Zouma. He won headers in defence and got to a couple of our corners. His desire to score from set pieces is palpable. Can see that Moyes might choose a different partnership tactically but not because Dawson is off form or not good enough.

Just sharing for some perspective. I was pleased and proud with every players performance and our competitiveness against a world class team. I didn't ever think we would be regularly and consistently doing that given the gulf in resources we have to overcome.
  • There was an obvious plan to hit a long ball to Antonio but more often than not he took up a position behind the CB so won very few headers. His touch was once again questionable and his vision limited. He did have a couple of good runs at the defence and sometimes caused them issues but that's what you expect of any striker isn't it?
  • Be nice to get a win here, couple more tricky games coming up and i think we need to build some momentum going into this December period.
  • A pair of draws against them last year
  • Yeah, that was pants.
  • Not looking forward to this to much .but we need to show them whos boss .Would stick with Benrahma.Got a feeling he might have a good game against these upstarts