Genk (a) 5:45pm. Thursday 4 November (BT Sport 3)

Comments

• Respect the point
  • We really want to win the group and go straight into round 16 rather than round 32 and have a qualifying game
  • Educate me, please. Who gets into next round? How many cl teams drop in?
  • The 8 group winners go straight into the last 16.
    The 8 group runners up go into a qualifying knockout round with the 8 third placed teams from the Champions league.
    If we can avoid that it would be good.
  • edited November 2021
    Win the group and we don’t play again until March and we can concentrate on the league.
  • We only need one more win to win the group, right? Hopefully can do that against Vienna.

• Zagreb winning 3-1 so we have qualified but they can pip us to top place. Had they drawn one more point would have guaranteed top spot.
    Had Soucek not scored the own goal we would already have won the group unless there were some freak results in the last two games.
  • Must be a sign of how massive we’ve become that there’s no sense of euphoria or celebration on here at us qualifying for the knockout stage with two matches to spare.

Massive club.
  • Beat Vienna we top the group simples.
  • Must be a sign of how massive we’ve become that there’s no sense of euphoria or celebration on here at us qualifying for the knockout stage with two matches to spare.

Massive club.

I don’t see second place as qualifying tbh, weird view maybe but weird format. I’ll celebrate when we confirm first in the group.

• That was a good game. Took time to settle but once we scored I thought we'd win but alas Soucek had other ideas.
    Great second goal from Benrahma, straight out of the Melchester Rovers playbook. A point away in Europe is always a good point.

COYI
  • edited November 2021
  • But what a goal it was by Soucek, great nearpost header. Now if he can just do that on Sunday at the other end of the pitch. Maybe Moyes can work on that setpiece. ;)
  • Somehow one of our fans lost a finger celebrating a goal and a steward picked it up and put it on the wall at the front.
  • Hope he got his finger back in time!

Imagine being the stadium announcer and having to deal with that one...

• Somehow one of our fans lost a finger celebrating a goal and a steward picked it up and put it on the wall at the front.

Seriously?
  • edited November 2021
    I didn't expect that my search for info on this would turn up a video of the finger in question.
  • I didn't expect that my search for info on this would turn up a video of the finger in question.

Ill-considered googling!
  • edited November 2021
    So nothing has been mentioned about the incident on the plane about our 'so called' fans singing an anti semetic song.......

As a jewish person when first reading it I thought...oh no, the foolish few making the rest of us feel embarrassed or ashamaed on their actions.....

So I tried to find it to see for myself, I only managed to get a 16 second version so I am not sure if that is the full extent of it....but if it is......

As a Jewish person I thought it was hilarious...

I understand I have to be so careful as what to say, as we all do, but what they were singing was not agressive or insulting, it was IMO simply over excited men....

The Jewish person onboard from what I saw on the clip was totally oblivious to the whole thing, from what I could see, whether this was the case I don't know....

I'm not sure where the complaint came from and by no way am I saying some any forms of discrimination/ abuse should be accepted, but as a Jewish person, I perosnally took no offence to what they were singing and thought it was a laugh...

It's sad that these people who IMO were not being aggressive or OTT, just probably had one beer too many and were having a laugh, yes, they should not have been singing this, but I really don't think it was meant to be abusive or discriminative or to make this Jewish person feel bad ( as said, from the clip I saw I don't think he had a clue, I think he probably thought it was football songs and wasn't even listening....

I want to make it clear again, I don't know if I saw the whole thing, but if that was the worst, well I was expetcing far worse.... ( I saw the clip via Mail Online..... )...

Thoughts......?....I feel somewhat sad that these fans might be banned based on what I saw, if that was it ?........
  • edited November 2021
    It was mentioned in the “couldn’t think of thread”.

I personally disagree with your take. I think it’s horrible, aggressive behaviour towards a single man. He looks intimidated to me and seems to be moving away from them. At the least it’s bullying. He’s not engaged with it, he’s not a rival fan, there is no banter. It’s a group against a single man who is very visibly Jewish, which is why he’s been made a target. You could maybe argue those things might be ok as jokes amongst friends but not in this context, in my opinion. I don’t think it’s funny or acceptable at all.
  • edited November 2021
    Also, I think we have to separate the 'how someone reacts/feels' as a criterion of whether a certain behaviour is ok or not.

In the scenario you give, jay, where you wouldn't be offended, their behaviour comes out as OK

In a scenario where someone feels threatened and victimised because of their race/religion, the behaviour is not ok.

But it's the same behaviour.

I think having a factor of 'how does someone feel about having these comments directed towards them' isn't helpful in trying to eliminate racial (and other discriminatory) remarks and actions.

My take on it.

PS, also 'intent' .. if someone makes a discriminatory slur thinking it's a joke/bantz .. or if they do it with a hate-filled intention, does this make the remark OK/not OK?

Imo, no.

(Yorkshire cricket?)
  • Outcast, fair do.... I understand and respect your opinion...

As I said a few times perhaps I did not see the full video, so I understand and mentioned if it did carry on I wasn't privy to that....

The part I saw was the " Frummer " was putting something in the overhead compartment.... Frummer, meaning religious Jew ( observant to the law ) something I am not TBH, I am 100% Jewish, both parents are/were Jewish.... The clip I saw he did not look he was even aware that he was the person they were singing a song about...

I do understand...I FULLY AGREE that discrimination is not acceptable on any levels... I'm Jewish & I'm gay, and proud of being both...My whole life, so I have seen and expreineced my fair share.......

I also agree with what you said....Mrs Grey, I get your point totally, I probably just expected it to be far, far worse..BUT .I fully get nothing is acceptable.....and singing a song on a plane probably wasn't the wisest thing to do.

It was my own thoughts and I was speaking on behalf of myself and not the Jewish community....

So If any other Jewish people or others were offended by what I said, I wish to apologise to these people...

As a Jewish person, I was not offended by the actual words that I heard these guys singing but I do understand it shouldn't have happened in the first place.....

• West Ham Clips is on twitter. - "We've lost more fingers in Europe than games" 😂

And I think the fans on the plane were a disgrace.
  • My final comment on this, I think I only saw a 'small part' of the incident, the rest I had not seen when posting my first post ( as mentioned ).....

If I had seen the full extent I would not have posted it in the 1st place.
  • Jay I don’t think your comment offended anyone, especially as you give in relation to your own heritage. I just shared why I feel otherwise 👍🏽
  • edited November 2021
    I don't think there was any problem posting an opinion and opening a discussion. That you later got some more info that made you alter your original thoughts .... Nothing wrong with that at all. Completely uncontroversial.
  • edited November 2021
    Mrs Grey / Outcast 🤗
    The first video I saw was totally different…a very shortened version…
    I only had seen the guy putting his baggage in the overhead compartment…
    Then I managed to see the longer version, I wish I hadn’t…
    The 2nd video was not good at all and made me feel kaka… , where he ( Jewish man ) hurried away from the chants , that was not good to see whatsoever, Outcast, I totally see where he looked intimidated and wanted away from it all…That feeling is horrendous to see… from our so called fans…
    This is something I cannot accept as just men being a bit foolish, they are idiots whose brains are far from their heads…. 👍🏻

I know I said earlier that it was my final comment! But had to state on seeing what I then did , this was no joking matter or acceptable on any level ….⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Regarding the Yorkshire cricket debacle.
    Having lived in Yorkshire for 15 years I can confirm that racism is alive and well up here, just below the surface but definitely there.
    The dinosaurs in charge at Headingley really do reflect the level of ignorance in many ( not all by any means) in the county.