Villa (a) Sunday 24th October 4:30pm Sky Sports

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Think the ref / VAR got some of the big decisions correct BUT Konsa’s elbow on Fornals and then the rugby style haul on Antonio ( although the advantage worked well for us) BUT he shouldn’t have still been on the field in the first place, these were 2 HUGE errors by ref & VAR …
    Anyhow, Im sure Dean Smith will have sweet dreams tonight 🤯 ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Villa....whinge,whinge, boo hoo. 1-4 says it all. Enough said
  • 4th in the League is excellent. I am thoroughly enjoying this season, especially as we just won 4-1 despite playing poorly for most of the game.
  • According to villa forums:
    West Ham aren’t that good
    Only have to worry about set pieces, no other strengths
    Basically just the new Stoke
    Easy win for villa…

The irony of the Stoke comparison when they relied so heavily on 'Delap' style long throws. =)

• Dodger58 said:

I like Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank's comments too. I agree the Red Card was harsh, but using Mrs Grey's point of denying a goal scoring opportunity ...

However Hause's foul wasn't even given a yellow and that definitely should have been a red.

Dean Smith also appears to think Hause got away with it - and Konsa should not have been sent off. He was happy with one and unhappy with the other, but if the Ref had got it the other way around I'm sure he'd still be complaining!

I dislike Dean Smith as well. How he can say basically that VAR should ignore the first incident, but goes on to say the ref got it wrong with the 2nd was laughable.

Moyes very honest as usual.

Thought Dec and Johnson’s interview was good - Happy Hammers!

• I LOVE OUR TEAM...................That is all
  • Happy happy joy joy
  • edited October 2021
    You really do get the feeling that they're a close knit team full of mates. That makes such a difference
  • Hamstew said:

Pablo and Jarrod be like

• I don’t see how the red was not a red? Bowen was 1v1 into the box with the keeper. There was no other Villa player between him & the goal & nobody close enough to him. It’s a red.
  • Randomly on twitter and come across this account lol.

https://twitter.com/PointingAaron
  • They were lucky not to have 2 reds within five seconds of each other. And yet Villa fans still complaining that they’ve been robbed by the officials.

Fornals one was a 50-50 and lots of them saying Bowen should have been sent off for pushing over that nasty piece of work McGinn, even though McGinn fell over like a sack of root vegetables.

Delusional, horrible lot.
  • edited October 2021
    A push is never a red unless done in the face.

Get over it, Villa. Thought the ref was very good today in what was a tricky game in an intimidating atmosphere.
  • Would like to see that Targett one literally WWE slamming Antonio for our 3rd goal on a close up. Could have been a red there to swinging around his neck and slamming him to the floor.
  • Yeah, my take is:
    Hause - 100% a red, confused on this one not being given so wrong decision.
    Konsa - I think people saying he's wide are reaching and this should be red, correct decision.
    Fornals - I think it's a 50/50, I would give a yellow, I've seen these given as red though so given the air of the game I think we got a little lucky. But correct in my view.
    McGinn - confrontational and aggressive behaviour, yellow, correct.
    Bowen - push in the chest, yellow, correct.
    Whoever it was on Antonio - not seen a close up replay, looked minimum yellow at full speed - unsure because no replays.

One bad decision out of 6.
  • The mistake VAR made was I think they felt they could not be responsible for a double red on a review. I am pretty sure had Konsa stayed on the pitch, Hause would have gone, but they didn’t have the confidence to send both off in the same incident.
  • That was a very good cameo from Manu. I think he could be in with a chance of starting against Liverpool.
  • edited October 2021
    Decent analysis by the MOTD2 lot, even if it did last longer than the highlights themselves.

Rightly talking up the Bowen goal as a great goal, and showing how well we work with and without the ball.

But having seen the goals again (for about the sixth time tonight), I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Johnson's goal. If Alexander-Arnold scored that it would be everywhere and Sky would have already made a documentary about it.
  • alderz said:

MrsGrey said:

Has Matty Cash always looked like that, or has he taken on Grealish's style consultant?

They always looked like they’re in a band
    an Alice band!
  • I have to admit that the red/2 reds/no red sequence made me wonder if theres ever been an occasion where one passage of play has led to two red cards.

For me, the elbow was not only a stone cold red, it defies common sense with VAR that its not given.

However, as the two red card or not decisions were seconds apart and in the same sequence, if the referee let the elbow incident go (to come back to it later) to play the advantage for us (only for it to result in a clear goal scoring opportunity) one of the incidents wouldn't have existed without the advantage being played.

Normally, if the ref goes back after playing the advantage and dispenses a yellow card, this is pretty frequent...

Longwindedly (as I just dont have the brain cells to be concise today), going back after the passage of play has been stopped and making decisions on 2 red cards this, for me, is unprecedented in the Premier League VAR era, no?

All that said, he could've given the denial red and gone back and at least dispensed a yellow (although it WAS a red IMO) for the elbow/slam into Pablo.

Retrospective action because no yellow was dispensed anyone?????
  • Baz, you've put into words exactly what I had been thinking - you've obviously got more functioning brain cells than me. =)
  • Baz

Re the advantage and then sending of, we had that happen to us with Dawson against Newcastle last season. I’d never seen advantage played and the ref go back for a red, but clearly it can happen.
  • MrsGrey said:

Fantastic.

What's that celebration?

Johnson as a schoolboy. 😂
  • That's a little bit of happy happy joy joy right there; any time you are feeling a bit fed up just watch that.
  • Would like to see that Targett one literally WWE slamming Antonio for our 3rd goal on a close up. Could have been a red there to swinging around his neck and slamming him to the floor.

It would have been red on the rugby pitch!

• For the Hause forearm smash, I don't think a replay of that was shown to the match referee, so a Stockley Park decision. Although they clearly did show the Konsa replay leading to the (harsh but accurate) sending off. Surprising.

I would actually be disappointed if there was no retrospective action - although that would not actually benefit us.
  • Great win and a good performance. I'm struggling with some of the negativity on here but hey ho. Apart from their goal they had a 10 minute spell in the second half where the Cash long throws caused confusion and a few sporadic chances. We sometimes overelaborated but run them ragged.
    Pleased for Johnson, how good is he, and Rice to score and Fornals efforts to get up with play for the third goal was magnificent. He's not blessed with electric pace but seems to get himself into good positions. Our fourth was an excellent team goal and really unselfish by Manu to lay it off.
    Agree that there should have been 2 reds for Hause and Konsa. Even MOTD2 laughed at Nakumba rolling away from the Fornals tackle, which was a straight 50-50 imo. Dean Smith still believes that every penalty and card against Villa are the result of poor refereeing decisions, so deluded.
    The players celebrated with the fans at the end with Johnson, Soucek, Antonio, Fab and Rice throwing shirts /gloves into the fans. Rice didn't want to leave the pitch, he was quite pumped.

Bring on Liverpool.

COYI
  • Dodger58 said:

I would actually be disappointed if there was no retrospective action - although that would not actually benefit us.

Yeah, but it would harm Villa. 😁

• IronHerb said:

The players celebrated with the fans at the end with Johnson, Soucek, Antonio, Fab and Rice throwing shirts /gloves into the fans. Rice didn't want to leave the pitch, he was quite pumped.

Bring on Liverpool.

COYI

Does anyone else think we should put a new contract in front of Dec when he’s pumped up like that. 😀