Villa (a) Sunday 24th October 4:30pm Sky Sports

Comments

• The way Rice talks I would not be too worried.

The new contract is under his control, I suspect he's waiting to see how this season looks like playing out before he makes up his mind. But if we stay in the top 6 I would be surprised if he left for anyone other than Man City or Chelsea - even then if we are looking good he may well say. As has been said, playing for West Ham has not held back his International aspirations. A bit of silverware may help, but nothing is guaranteed.
  • alderz said:

Baz

Re the advantage and then sending of, we had that happen to us with Dawson against Newcastle last season. I’d never seen advantage played and the ref go back for a red, but clearly it can happen.

Yes, understood but sending a guy off and then going back and sending another off within secs would be pretty wild! First time I can recall that scenario potentially happening... (multiple sending offs for fighting yes but not with play passage in mind)
  • Baz 👍🏻

Yeah I know what you mean. It’s just disappointing that the officials aren’t bold enough to actually apply the rules.
  • According to Dermot Gallagher Fornals ran into Hause's already outstretched arm. 🤦‍♂️
  • Just reading Crooks's team of the week, the man really is an idiot.

In the paragraph about Rice "Their victory over Aston Villa was emphatic but also helped by a poor VAR-assisted sending-off. "

In the paragraph about Zaha "It was clear after the dismissal of Laporte that City players began to target him."

The clearer goal-scoring opportunity was Bowen's not Zaha's. No mention of Laporte's dismissal being a major factor.
  • Bubbles, I have no reason to want to defend Garth Crooks as I find most of his punditry difficult to fathom but in saying that this is the rest of what he said some of which I agree with -

I've come to the conclusion that referee Chris Kavanagh has never scored a goal in his life, otherwise he would recognise a 'clear' goalscoring opportunity when he saw one. Neither could he have suffered a forearm smash. If he had, he would know that a forearm smash is dangerous and a goalscoring opportunity is not. If VAR can't get it right what is the point of it? What was abundantly clear was the performance of Rice, who was at his commanding best. Thank goodness VAR didn't have to make that decision.
  • IronHerb said:

According to Dermot Gallagher Fornals ran into Hause's already outstretched arm. 🤦‍♂️

Seriously, did he actually say that? If so, unbelievable!
  • Is he a Villa fan?
  • Bubbles, I have no reason to want to defend Garth Crooks as I find most of his punditry difficult to fathom but in saying that this is the rest of what he said some of which I agree with -

I've come to the conclusion that referee Chris Kavanagh has never scored a goal in his life, otherwise he would recognise a 'clear' goalscoring opportunity when he saw one. Neither could he have suffered a forearm smash. If he had, he would know that a forearm smash is dangerous and a goalscoring opportunity is not. If VAR can't get it right what is the point of it? What was abundantly clear was the performance of Rice, who was at his commanding best. Thank goodness VAR didn't have to make that decision.

He’s trying to be clever and it just makes him sound more stupid. Denial of a goalscoring opportunity isn’t a red card because it’s dangerous, it’s a red card because it’s the denial of a goalscoring opportunity.

They should have had two reds.
  • IronHerb said:

According to Dermot Gallagher Fornals ran into Hause's already outstretched arm. 🤦‍♂️

Seriously, did he actually say that? If so, unbelievable!
    Yes he really did.
  • Dermot, you're an idiot.
  • on the ref watch it was two reds, saw the you tube clip with curbs on it
  • Herb - I agree, I see a lot of ‘weren’t at our best’.

That was a very tricky away game, even after the red, & it were very calm & composed apart from a few shaky minutes when Villa were able to establish some pressure with winning throw ins & going long behind Johnson who they seemed to target.

4 goals, very comfortable performance.
  • Luke / IH ..IMHO I thought that the sending off hurt us in a way, like it often does...
    We were 2nd to the ball at times, giving away easy possession etc...
    That didn't last for too long, but the manager and captain both agreed we weren't at our best at times, surely that you can agree with ?

I'm not saying we were rubbish, and I don't think anyone did, some just state what they feel they see...

We all might see different things, we eneded up winning by a fine margin, but IMO we made hard work of it for a bit of the game,that's it.....
  • I read the ref watch thing on Sky (was waiting for it as I was curious about what conclusions would be made). He agreed with the red. On the other potential red, I find it hard to see how the forearm smash was a result of Pablo running into Hause! Maybe it's because I'm not a ref that it just looked vicious to me. I understand going up for a header with arms raised and I also understand the difference between going up for a header and leaving your mark on another player. Its the latter for me. I still think retro action on it is justified
  • It was Stuart Attwell on VAR. Nuff said.
  • IronHerb said:

It was Stuart Attwell on VAR. Nuff said.

You've all done very At-well... ;)

• Embracing the fans

• IronHerb said:

Embracing the fans

A. That's superb. Fans and Players both showing the love. Brilliant.

B. The sheer size of Antonio. Lad's an absolute unit.
  • If you look at Rice in that video, he certainly doesn't look like he wants to leave. Him and Jermaine "is the final day of the season too late for a transfer request" Defoe appear like polar opposites.
  • Spotted the Nobes/Jonno huggin'
  • Yep. It was the 'come here son' gesture I liked.
  • One great big love in
  • edited November 2021
    IronHerb said:

Embracing the fans

That's Ben Johnson best mate he's hugging in the crowd and giving the shirt to.

• Who is in this video
  • If you look at Rice in that video, he certainly doesn't look like he wants to leave. Him and Jermaine "is the final day of the season too late for a transfer request" Defoe appear like polar opposites.

He must be a managers dream, he looks so motivated and in love with the game. As good as he is on the pitch he must be worth even more to the team as that kind of enthusiasm is infectious.
  • That's the key. I watch other teams and they look miserable compared to this West Ham!