Saints away

Comments

• At least Antonio can play against Zagreb now.
  • I bet our new signings are wondering if they did the right thing after that. That was such a poor lacklustre performance.

Come on thorn are you having a serious laugh
  • We did not lose and we did not let a goal in, the lack of a second striker now obviously a problem
  • Curse of the player of the month
  • Of course it was tongue in cheek, the first sentence that is.
  • Does somebody new do the Europa League threads?

This was a truly shocking offering from Alderz.
  • Early signs pretty good from Vlasic
  • Why oh why was Antonio not subbed in the last 10 mins? Poor decision making and game management by Moyes.
  • Does somebody new do the Europa League threads?

This was a truly shocking offering from Alderz.

I'll stop when I lose, baby
  • That was awful though. We just looked so sloppy. It looked like a bunch of players who hadn't really prepped for Southampton, and were still a bit tired. I'm sure we'll be better next game.
  • First time we’ve gone unbeaten in the first 4 games of the season since 1999. Also first time we’ve gone 7 unbeaten in the league in 6 years.
  • edited September 2021
    Ogbonna as poor as Dawson IMO....
    Not sure all the insults for Dawson tbh...
    Yeh he made a poor error, but he wasn't the only one today, Benrahama was wasteful and a few other below par performers IMO and Ogbonna was made to look pretty championship level v their Albanian sub IMO.
    Thanks to Rice for saving us and again not sure the remarks about Antonio vaild, he's been brilliant for us...ref was as poor as they come, think both managers will comment on this.
    Decent point, OK performance, can't win em all.
    Bowen easy best player for us today IMO.
  • I’ve never seen Ogbonna look so slow.

Dawson was erratic but he’s also very suspect on the ball. Zouma will be replacing him very soon.

Everybody was misplacing passes. Everybody was sluggish. Nobody really looked up for it.

Antonio had a nightmare.

Vlasic looked bright and Bowen tried to make things happen. Otherwise it was pretty miserable all round.
  • Not sure all the insults for Dawson tbh…

I don’t think anyone’s insulted him? I think he played poorly, and I think he was at fault for both goals against Palace.
  • Antoni has been kicked, fouled, held and hacked and the ref offered no protection. At the end his frustration got the betetr of him. A pretty flat game. We huffed and puffed but had no cutting edge.
  • Trying to be a bit more objective than my disappointment would like.

I think teams fear us now and try and defend more meaning we don't get to utilise the counter as much as we were doing. We start with a lot of energy but we fade as the game goes on, which I think allowed Palace back into the game and allowed Southampton a chance or two in the final twenty minutes.

We do however still look very good on the ball, moving it quickly and probing for an opening. our work rate is almost too good as it leaves us vulnerable in the last twenty.

Antonio should never have got that first yellow, pointless wrestling which leads nowhere but a yellow. This leaves his team short now, but it does come at a good time as he makes the choice about which game he starts. Dawson looks limited again as he did against Palace, he is still exceeding expectations however and all credit to him. I feel Zouma will get his chance and keep the shirt.
  • alderz said:

That was awful though. We just looked so sloppy. It looked like a bunch of players who hadn't really prepped for Southampton, and were still a bit tired. I'm sure we'll be better next game.

Well that was what it was wasn’t it?
  • Not a great performance tbh, but the international break really hasn't helped us. Benrahma wasn't up to his standard of this season and Dawson again showed why Moyes was so desperate to get a starting CB in; Zouma couldn't start in such a tactical position with such limited time with the squad, but he surely comes straight in now.

On the bright side, Vlasic looked very good in his cameo, but the lack of another attacking option (ie our lack of recruitment) was highlighted when we then had to being on Yarmalenko as we chased a winner.
  • C&B how can a red card come at a good time. He can play against Zagreb but not Man U but had he stayed on the pitch he could play in both.
  • We looked tired .And saints bought us down to there level .Still yet another game we would have lost in the past .So take the point and move on to Europe
  • edited September 2021

C&B how can a red card come at a good time. He can play against Zagreb but not Man U but had he stayed on the pitch he could play in both.

I doubt Antonio is up to starting both so may have been rested in Europa, he can now go all out on Thursday knowing he gets his rest. It's not a good time to get a Red but with fixture congestion he at least gives his injury prone hamstrings a rest. I of course would prefer he didn't get sent off altogether so he could of possibly featured in both if not starting.
  • edited September 2021
    alderz said:

Not sure all the insults for Dawson tbh…

I don’t think anyone’s insulted him? I think he played poorly, and I think he was at fault for both goals against Palace.
    Fair enough.
    Just feel he's the 1st one to be made scapegoat for an error, while others don't.
    Just my opinion of course, and I'm not saying he's the best defender we have, just others have had average games/made mistakes and not really picked out, obvious player IMO Ogbonna.....He was also not covered in glory V Palace ( goal ) an 2nd half he was made to look poor IMO ( Ogbonna ).
    Would quite like to see both Zouma and Diop start a game together, The French connection.
  • All in all I will respect the point, we largely kept them at bay all bar the final 10mins when we looked a bit lost, I was worried that we could end up losing this one.

People thought that we threw two points away vs Palace but I thought Palace won their point fairly, I actually think today’s game was two points thrown away as Southampton were pretty poor and I think we just needed to be a bit sharper and the game would have been comfortably ours.

Antonio was only at 80% at best so I am not that upset that he will get a small rest.

And the Spurs result means that the day was not a complete washout :-)
  • And the Spurs result means that the day was not a complete washout :-)

=) =) =) =) =)
  • Was Antonio's red a straight red?
  • Hamstew said:

Was Antonio's red a straight red?

No, two yellows
  • So be misses one game?
  • Do the two yellows today count towards the five yellows in the first 19 games leading to a one game ban, or does the red card mean the punishment has been served?
  • Do the two yellows today count towards the five yellows in the first 19 games leading to a one game ban, or does the red card mean the punishment has been served?

That’s a good question…
    I’m not 100% sure but if I had to guess, I’d say he’s paid the price ( will do ) for the two yellows and it won’t be part of accumulation…👍🏻

No they just count as a red, so don't add to his tally.