Saints away

1235»

Comments

• Antonio's first yellow was a joke
  • I think he should be more disappointed with the second one, it was not malicious but there was enough intent to force the Ref into making a decision.

As he walked off, I actually think I saw Antonio point to his head in self admonishment - he knew he had messed up.

• edited September 2021
    I thought we were ok. Saints sat back & decided they weren’t going to get done on the break by us. We tired in the last 15 when they then had a real go at stealing the points, sensing we were vulnerable. I don’t call that them being the better side.

Before that I felt they were happy for the point & we wanted 3, but couldn’t quite click. 7 of those players being away over the two weeks showed & it was a little leggy.

Ironically, I think Antonio’s red saved us from a defeat, when you look at the space they had after the challenge & clearance.
  • edited September 2021
    alderz said:

This Southampton sub has made Ogbonna look VERY slow

That Southampton sub, who by the way is on loan from Chelsea, was very quick.
  • Antonio sent off. We now play Man U without a striker.

We played Southampton without a striker.
  • Without a "striker" but with good attacking options, Benrahma, Vlasic and Bowen across the front line, with Fornals in behind them.
  • It will be a big test for Moyes as everyone knew Antonio wouldn't be playing each week and yet we didn't sign anyone, we trust Moyes had decided that we can find goals with a different attacking set up, so it will be interesting to see what that is.
  • Yarmolenko needed to be sold, or even given a free transfer to get his wages off our books. We could then have got a striker as well as our other signings. I have to trust Moyes, but we so need a replacement striker.
  • We could have got a striker but Moyes said he didn’t want any of those available.
  • Against Palace and Southampton we looked vulnerable in the air and both teams showed that our defenders lack pace. Somehting for Moyes to work on in traning sessions.
  • Sympathy for Antonio: his second yellow was mostly because he was being held back (again) and was stretching to make the tackle. If he'd given up and fallen over he'd have got a free kick.
  • edited September 2021

Sympathy for Antonio: his second yellow was mostly because he was being held back (again) and was stretching to make the tackle. If he'd given up and fallen over he'd have got a free kick.

Er, no he wasn't, there wasn't another Saints player within 2-3 yards when he dived in with his studs up.

• I'll check again...video unavailable in my region