England Vs Denmark

Comments

• never a pen never a free kick win some lose some
  • What needs to stop is this crazy rule that it needs to be a clear and obvious mistake. That penalty would never have been given by VAR if they had checked it but the ref had not given it, and yet it did not get turned away because the ref had given it.

VAR is there because it has time and multi angle replays, let VAR make the call end of story. The best team won no doubt but I would hate to go out due to that.

On a positive note how fit are we? still had legs in the last ten minutes when Denmark were out on their feet. Stirling still running at players and beating them in the final minutes, player of the tournament for us in my view
  • MrsGrey said:

I'd be furious if that pen was given against us.

Maybe it was the beer goggles, but I thought it was absolutely nailed on
  • Sterling was awesome on the ball tonight
  • MrsGrey said:

Were you not furious that Denmark scored from a very softly awarded free kick ?
  • Happy for the team and nation…
    The better team won but IMO that was never a penalty…. Shocking decision…
    But as said , England were the better team, just a pity how they won.

By no stretch of the imagination was it a "shocking" decision. As has been said, we've seen the same situation where a penalty was given and other times not.
  • Kane,Grealish,Sterling fall over as if they have been shot ,so not lets hear any comments about Italy players doing that on sunday
  • Happy for the team and nation…
    The better team won but IMO that was never a penalty…. Shocking decision…
    But as said , England were the better team, just a pity how they won.

By no stretch of the imagination was it a "shocking" decision. As has been said, we've seen the same situation where a penalty was given and other times not.
    Of course you’re entitled to your opinion, BUT my opinion it was a shocking decision….
    The standard of refereeing in the tournament has been IMO excellent, but yesterday was not the case …👍🏻
  • Despite his age, how quick is Walker?
  • MrsGrey said:

No. I wasn't furious about anything.

I would have been, if it was a match involving West Ham ( the only 'us' that matters in football, for me).
    I wasn't giving the match my undivided attention, so in any case didn't see what happened leading up to the free kick.
  • edited July 2021
    MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

No. I wasn't furious about anything.

I would have been, if it was a match involving West Ham ( the only 'us' that matters in football, for me).
    I wasn't giving the match my undivided attention, so in any case didn't see what happened leading up to the free kick.
    Well said Mrs G
  • edited July 2021
    Saw this on an excellent referee site and thought it was worth sharing, someone’s thoughts on diving/ ref performance last night…..

“The premier league has been a hotbed of the dark art of diving for some time and we are now seeing some of its worst offenders playing in the national team. Grealish's reputation is well known but he was not the worst offender tonight by a long way. I am wondering whether Kane is part of a tumbling act at Billy Smart's circus given the ease with which he collapses in agony, or does he have a problem with the balancing mechanism in his ears? Sterling certainly played for the penalty and it was an appalling decision. In the cold light of day it will be seen for what it was, I suspect. Why the referee didn't go and look at his screen is beyond me.

This tournament has generally been well refereed, but the abject performance of tonight's referee may be what is remembered which is a shame. I thought it was to be an opportunity to try and rid the game of this playacting but it certainly wasn't the case tonight. Roll on the final where Italy await, a team that have also been known to take the odd plunge to the floor. Good luck to whoever gets the game!”
  • I’ve watched it again this morning and I still think it was a penalty
  • Saw this on an excellent referee site and thought it was worth sharing, someone’s thoughts on diving/ ref performance last night…..

“The premier league has been a hotbed of the dark art of diving for some time and we are now seeing some of its worst offenders playing in the national team. Grealish's reputation is well known but he was not the worst offender tonight by a long way. I am wondering whether Kane is part of a tumbling act at Billy Smart's circus given the ease with which he collapses in agony, or does he have a problem with the balancing mechanism in his ears? Sterling certainly played for the penalty and it was an appalling decision. In the cold light of day it will be seen for what it was, I suspect. Why the referee didn't go and look at his screen is beyond me.

This tournament has generally been well refereed, but the abject performance of tonight's referee may be what is remembered which is a shame. I thought it was to be an opportunity to try and rid the game of this playacting but it certainly wasn't the case tonight. Roll on the final where Italy await, a team that have also been known to take the odd plunge to the floor. Good luck to whoever gets the game!”

Signed: Kim Milton Nielsen. =)
  • edited July 2021
    alderz said:

I’ve watched it again this morning and I still think it was a penalty

I've not watched it again, but just the couple of replays last night. I thought he dived for the ' foot contact' ( no contact) and was already heading for the floor when the contact with the 2 nd player occured, and the player couldn't do much about it as he hadn't been expecting a collapsing body to come flying towards him.

But I'll watch it again today ( if there happen to be any replays available anywhere ... It's always possible there won't be any further media coverage though 😉 )
  • There were two separate contacts. One just below the right knee and then the second one at hip level by the other player. I can see why it was given and I can see why it wasn't overturned. But it was harsh at the very least.

Then again, Denmark scored their first goal against the Czechs from a corner kick that was much more obvious, i.e. It wasn't a corner! So while two wrongs don't make a right England were the better team on the day and deservedly went through.
  • On another note, I wamt cbs on Cup duty only for as long as his run continues 😉
    Jorderz can take the league but in cup games. 🙈
  • alderz said:

Think Mrs Grey was spot on, if it had been given against England there would have been a national outcry....

I stand by my thoughts that it was never a penalty and a shocking decision.

Alderz... Specsavers springs to mind! ( wink wink ! ).....
  • It looked to me like his trailing leg did get clipped by Vestergaard and the speed Sterling moves at he would lose balance more easily (and yeah obviously he played for it). Vestergaard has been wasting time going down injured after the lightest contact with Sterling before that so I don’t feel that worried for him.
  • Penalty, goal, love it.
  • Taken from the VAR room checking penalty call
  • edited July 2021
    alderz said:

It's a penalty in the context of the modern game, i.e. there was contact, albeit minimal, and the player went down.

The problem, as always, is consistency. How many challenges like this one have gone unpunished across the leagues this season? (rhetorical question, but it wouldn't surprise me if you had a tab on a spreadsheet somewhere...). We've seen these given, we've seen them waved away. Last night we got lucky. Arguably it was due as Denmark's free kicks that lead to their goal were both equally questionable.

If Italy get one of these on Sunday there'll be cries of Karma across the towns and cities of Denmark, but I don't think even the Danes can argue that they deserved to win last night.
  • How on earth did Kane get MOTM? Sterling was the one probing, the one getting into the box. Somehow he was still beating his man deep into extra time. Whether it was a penalty or not, he was there trying to commit players in the box. Kane did some good things but thought there were a lot of opportunities where he stood still on the edge of the box while Saka and Shaw pulled it back for someone to run onto.

Walker was also fantastic, in my opinion. Saka again was such a threat when he was on.

• The free kick should have been retaken as the Danish wall had encroached within the 1m separation to our wall. Danish cheats anyone? 😂
  • Didn't know that was a rule.
  • Didn't know that was a rule.

It was created to stop attackers pushing or pulling players out of the wall to create gaps for the player taking the free kick (I seem to remember we suffered a bad example of this a few season back).
  • How on earth did Kane get MOTM?

For bravely playing on when he has that terrible inner ear infection that affects his balance, obvs.
  • Was it a free-kick? Was it a penalty? All I do know is England 2 Denmark 1. That'll do nicely for me. I'll be ecstatic with a controversial win for us next game