Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• It’s not poor, it’s lacking in forward areas but it’s not poor. Yarmolenko & Lanzini were first choice players only a couple of years ago.
  • It's not poor, but arguably it's not adequate for a team competing in four competitions and pushing for European football.

Being first choice players two years ago is largely irrelevant, IMO. Are they good enough now? Probably not, in terms of being suitable alternatives to SouDec and Antonio/Bowen, which Lanzini and Yarmolenko effectively are.
  • Lukerz said:

I do think our bench is better than people give credit for. Shortly Masuaku will return, we will then have a bench of: Areola, Diop, Fredericks, Masuaku, Johnson, Noble, Coventry, Lanzini, Yarmolenko

Remember the bench looks slightly more stretched because we are allowed 9 on it. If it was the ‘old’ seven subs, we’d lose Johnson & Coventry.

I think if we can get a CB & a forward player who can play across the front four, we will be in decent shape.

Sorry that is a poor bench, no real quality game changers there. We need at least another CB / Striker / CM / LB / AM. To offer the options we need. Its not going to happen and we are going to be left short through out the season because of it. Not having a back up striker for Antonio is borderline criminal though as a minimum.
    It's not poor though

Yarmolenko is a international star, played for a big club in Dortmund and while struggled with injuries has a good goals per game ratio for us, including some quality strikes. Mid (to low) table Prem club player.

Lanzini was a instrumental part of our best XI the last time we finished 6th in the last season at the Boleyn. His career has stagnated due to injuries but he was once one of our most exciting players and has shown a lot of quality when he has been chosen. Mid table quality player.

Noble is a Prem legend, yes he's lost his legs but when he was called upon last year he showed his class, easily starts for lower table Prem clubs and would tear the championship apart

Masuaku is erratic and inconsistent but on his day can be the best Wing back in the Prem, has won games for us multiple times

Diop was a U21 France intenrational, captain of his last club at 21 and colossus the first 18 months he was with us. He's also regressed but again, on his day he's a very solid mid table Prem CB

Arreola has been a part of multiple European giants, has lots of medals and was the player of the year of a Prem club.

Fredericks, jury is a bit out on him ngl, injuries have hurt him, but he was also part of the championship team of the year the year we bought him. He may be a bit shy of Prem quality but he does a job and has good versatility

Then we have the 'youth'

Baptiste arguably looks like the best prospect we've had since Declan, Johnson already has plenty of Prem appearances and (imo) has looked solid every time even when out of position, then Coventry has been a youth standout for years and has now backed it up by being the star of pre-season

If we bought 6/7 players this year then how would we ever expect any youth players to ever get given a chance? I'd much rather promote form within, that's the proper West Ham I know and love

We are a (quality backup) attacker and a starting CB light atm
  • How many teams have the sort of player who is a game changer and start them on the bench?

Of course it would be great to have such strength in depth, but it's not easy to do. I think we have to be realistic about the level the club is at compared to those elite clubs with decades of success and deep pockets.
  • I think the happiness of the squad is a big factor a the moment. We all want to win trophies, but watching games like last night is pretty special as well. Fans, players and all staff are happy. We Would we not rather feel like this a few times a year?
    Moyes is correct to watch who he signs does not disrupt, so numbers to cover this 11 may be better than a a couple of “highly paid superstars”. Yes we need cover at CB and CF, but maybe COVER may prove to be the better option
  • Jim White (Sully’s mate) has just said we have £45m to spend between now & the deadline.
  • edited August 2021
    Consistent with what others have said.

If it's come from Sullivan, it's disappointing because now selling clubs know what we've got to play with.

From what we've read of their valuations, that would cover the Zouma and Lingard fees. Would be happy with both of those, but would still like a LB and ST as well.
  • I'm less fussed about a LB than I was. Cresswell is clearly the first choice, Masuaku comes in if we play a 3, and Moyes seems happy with Johnson & Fredericks ability to cover if needed.

CB is a problem we need to solve, as is the FW area. I think that we need a striker more than we need Lingard, but it seems unlikely.
  • This "Lingard business " puts me in a bit of a quandary. He was great last season but I really want Benrahma to get a decent run in the side and he seemed to be the one sacrificed for him. Difficult one for me.
  • I don’t think we’ll get a striker if we get Lingard. Moyes will be happy with Antonio, Bowen, Lingard & Yarmolenko as forward options.
  • edited August 2021
    So this "£40m-£45m" that we have to spend.

Didn't Sullivan say we had £30m of it in January? Which means we've only managed to add a maximum of £20m (if you include the rumoured £5m loan fee for Areola) to the budget this summer.
  • yoyo said:

This "Lingard business " puts me in a bit of a quandary. He was great last season but I really want Benrahma to get a decent run in the side and he seemed to be the one sacrificed for him. Difficult one for me.

I agree with this, but I also think that Benrahma wasn't showing his full quality before we signed Lingard. He was definitely getting better, but he had little actual decisive end product, whereas Lingard hit the ground running with goal involvements.

Before Jesse joined, Benrahma had 2 assists in 13 league games. This season, he has 2 assists and 2 goals in 2 games. I believe that, if Benrahma had been in this sort of form when Lingard joined, it would have been a different story.

I think I've said this before, but there are also scales of being 'guaranteed' game time. I don't think Moyes would guarantee any player a starting spot regardless of their form. Lingard came in and started a game and scored two goals, so he stayed in, and he kept scoring. If he hadn't, I don't think he would have started every game. Lingard is 'guaranteed' more first team football with us than with Man Utd. that doesn't mean he starts every single game, but it does mean he probably plays some part in every game he's available for, which he can't expect to do at Man Utd. Exactly the same with Zouma. He'll play more for us than Chelsea. But he won't play every week unless he deserves to.

I just don't believe that a manager who says "if you don't run you don't play" also says "I'll start you every single game regardless".
  • So this "£40m-£45m" that we have to spend.

Didn't Sullivan say we had £30m of it in January? Which means we've only managed to add a maximum of £20m (if you include the rumoured £5m loan fee for Areola) to the budget this summer.

Surely it doesn’t matter how much we’ve got if we are not spending it, or even want to on the wrong players?
  • Also, White has said that Zouma wants a £30k payrise? He's reported to be on £46k at Chelsea, so is £76k p/w unreasonable for a starting CB? Personally, I don't think so.
  • Surely Sully didn’t tell Jim White our actual budget to broadcast on a public radio station, whilst we are in the midst of several negotiations?
  • I fully believe we haven't spent money because of Moyes, not because of Sullivan.

Moyes is taking his sweet time because he wants the right players - with the right personality and mentality - for the right price, given the limited budget.

I also think Moyes is looking at wages closely because they can really hamstring the financial health of your club a few seasons down the line, and Moyes is looking long-term.

I know it's far more fashionable to blame the owners but I don't think that's what's going on.

Moyes is being careful and I think it will pay off.
  • Lukerz said:

Surely Sully didn’t tell Jim White our actual budget to broadcast on a public radio station, whilst we are in the midst of several negotiations?

Would it surprise you if he did?

Not a bad tactic; Man Utd dig their heels in over Lingard's fee, Sullivan claims they want too much for him and the deal doesn't happen. We tried.

But maybe that's just me being cynical.
  • edited August 2021

I fully believe we haven't spent money because of Moyes, not because of Sullivan.

Moyes is taking his sweet time because he wants the right players - with the right personality and mentality - for the right price, given the limited budget.

I also think Moyes is looking at wages closely because they can really hamstring the financial health of your club a few seasons down the line, and Moyes is looking long-term.

I know it's far more fashionable to blame the owners but I don't think that's what's going on.

I don't disagree with this, but Sullivan is the reason for the limited budget, IMO. The losses we made on Anderson and Haller was terrible business and must have had a knock-on effect to this seasons budget.

Moyes' due diligence is a good thing, and I think that as well as the long-term financial health of the club, he's wary of us paying someone new a lot more money than our current squad; the spirit and harmony is key to what we're doing right now and he won't want that compromised.
  • Also, White has said that Zouma wants a £30k payrise? He's reported to be on £46k at Chelsea, so is £76k p/w unreasonable for a starting CB? Personally, I don't think so.

That differs from every ITK that's reliable, it's been reported he wants around £125k p/w

Those two are miles apart, if he's going from £46k p/w to £76k p/w then fair enough but to triple his wages is a BIG ask
  • I fully believe we haven't spent money because of Moyes, not because of Sullivan.

I don't disagree with this, but Sullivan is the reason for the limited budget, IMO. The losses we made on Anderson and Haller was terrible business and must have had a knock-on effect to this seasons budget.
    You can only sell players based on what was offered

And both of those were Husillos signings right? The one time Sullivan gave control to someone else

He's not that rich and the club made a big loss recently (£65mil), not really sure how he can give bigger budget (than £45mil)
  • edited August 2021
    Yarmelenko has been a bog standard average to poor player at West Ham he is a complete one trick pony to cut in on his left and slam one in. You stop him doing that and he offers little to nothing on the pitch.

Lanzini has never been the same since his injury still a decent squad player but not exactly going to push any of the current 11 ?

Diop is going backwards, his mistakes are glaring to the point that Craig Dawson is keeping him out the team, Diop should be established as our first choice CB but looks no where near to it, even Balbuena at points last season was preferred. Sure can do a job as back up but again he isn't pushing any of the current 11 ? which is underwhelming for someone 10 years younger than his current counter parts and should be entering his peak.

Masuaku - injury prone but not a LB his defending is sub par but is a monster going forward, one that could have been converted into a winger if he could maintain fitness.

Fredericks - another one who cannot defend and another that isn't exactly going to push anyone in the current 11.

You say that all these players start for "lower league prem tables" yet none of these lower league prem clubs are looking to buy them at all despite getting no game time at West Ham ? none of these players would get into the starting 11 of many of those lower league clubs imo. They like they currently are at the moment with us would be expensive squad players.

That differs from every ITK that's reliable, it's been reported he wants around £125k p/w

Those two are miles apart, if he's going from £46k p/w to £76k p/w then fair enough but to triple his wages is a BIG ask
    So he's either on £95k and wants £125k, or he's on £46k and wants £76k. Like you say, big differences.

Wait and see, I guess.
  • edited August 2021
    yoyo said:

This "Lingard business " puts me in a bit of a quandary. He was great last season but I really want Benrahma to get a decent run in the side and he seemed to be the one sacrificed for him. Difficult one for me.

Benny seems a far better choice.

Lingard has nailed his colours to the mast by openly stating that he'd rather be at manure, for me that says it all. Do we really want someone who says that we're second best.

Go do one pal and keep the bench warm up there

• You say that all these players start for "lower league prem tables" yet none of these lower league prem clubs are looking to buy them at all despite getting no game time at West Ham ? none of these players would get into the starting 11 of many of those lower league clubs imo. They like they currently are at the moment with us would be expensive squad players.

Jordan Ayew is a Prem quality player but never seen transfer news for him. Has anyone tried to sign Klich from Leeds?

Don't think thats a metric of ones ability imo

I think Arreola, Lanzini, Diop, Yarmo & Noble can start for most if not all of the bottom 10 teams that'll end this season...but that's my personal opinion

Think they struggle as they are squad players at best so don't get long enough in the team to build up some form and moyes isn't a huge fan of rotation
  • I think Jordan Ayew is a very average player, but the reason there isn't transfer news for him is probably because he is already a bottom 10 league player and i think Palace would easily upgrade him to a better striker if they could but when you have over 10 players contracts ending i guess their priorities are else where.

I honestly think if you gave those players you named (bar Areola) to say Norwich who are bottom i honestly believe a number of them would be back on the bench within 5-10 games or would be massively struggling to make any real impact beyond the players they already have.

I am not expecting the people on the bench to be better than the 11 on the pitch, we don't have the finances for it. But i do expect for a player to be able to come on the pitch and give a performance on level with those on the pitch or at least to challenge that 11 on the pitch to look over their shoulder and think this guy could actually take my spot if i don't keep up performances. I personally don't see any of the names mentioned being able to realistically do that. But that largely comes down to what your expectation is. Mine reaches beyond just a good first 11. I want to know that 2 or 3 injuries in we don't lose the momentum and cave, i want a good first 11 and at least a sub through the spine of defence midfield attack and goalkeeper that is equal to that. A good squad of 15. If injuries and such go beyond that then that's just rotten luck. The club should have the finances in my opinion to have that 15 in place.
  • edited August 2021
    So which 4 or 5 players from top 10 Prem clubs would you buy, expect to come and for how much?
  • Well if rumours are to be believed we are already in discussions with Zouma at 20 - 30m. Will probably offer more than Diop
    Lingard if he can play like he when we had him on loan could be another 20m
    Will probably offer more than Lanzini
    Peirera who eventually went to Al Hilal would have been another at the 20 - 25m mark.
    Would probably have offered more than Yarmelenko

• Pereira has moved to a semi-pro league in Saudi Arabia for the cash.

Do you honestly think that kind of mentality would have been a good fit in our current squad?
  • Areola, Fredericks, Diop, Masuaku, Lanzini & Yarmolenko would all be in with a shout at starting at any of the following clubs (if handed to them & they had no choice but to take them):

Brentford
    Norwich
    Watford
    Burnley
    Newcastle
    Palace
    Southampton

I am not saying any of those managers would consider those players as signings, but if they were dropped into those squads & the manager had no say, the majority would be selected.
  • Zouma must have a terrible agent if he's on 46k at Chelsea!
This discussion has been closed.