Everton (H) - Sunday 9th May, 16.30pm

Comments

• Well I don’t think we deserved to lose that we’re worth a point at least, one mistake did for us but after that they didn’t trouble us at all, maybe 4th as gone but still be a few twists yet
  • Lukerz said:

The Yarmo (who has been out months) sub was absolutely baffling from Moyes

Wild card IMO...Benrahama did little to warrant staying on IMO
  • Ancelotti slightly outthought Moyes here. They stopped our game but we still only lost because of a defensive error and even though Benrahma should’ve saved it.

Not sure it’s a game plan, stick everybody behind the ball in a 5-4-1 formation
  • Lukerz said:

I get the logic of taking Benrahma off when he wasn’t at the races, but Yarmo just seemed to get in the way. I’d have been happier with Oggy coming on to go for a back three and really go for the set pieces.
  • Disappointing game. Lacked spark. Bowen, Coufal and Benrahma had chances bit it was not to be. What's happened to Lingrard? Bad luck with injuries. Hope we can filed a decent team next week. Hopefully, Rice will be back. I don't think we are going to finish in the top 4. Now need to win the next three games to finish 6th and any chance of a place in the Europa League.
  • Lukerz said:

Wild card IMO...Benrahama did little to warrant staying on IMO
    He didn’t but he at least was fit

Bringing on Yarmo who probably needs 3 games to get his fitness back, to make an impact, was pointless
  • edited May 2021
    Pengeman said:

Disappointing game. Lacked spark. Bowen, Coufal and Benrahma had chances bit it was not to be. What's happened to Lingrard? Bad luck with injuries. Hope we can filed a decent team next week. Hopefully, Rice will be back. I don't think we are going to finish in the top 4. Now need to win the next three games to finish 6th and any chance of a place in the Europa League.

Lingard is fizzling out now that his initial freshness is wearing off
  • Yarmo just takes too many touches. He’s been taking twice the number of touches he needs to ever since he signed, and it doesn’t work in this league.

Especially against a very tight defence who need to be pulled around as quickly as possible.

I think the last 3 or 4 games also show why the ‘sign Lingard at any price’ talk was premature. He’s been great but it was the best form of his entire life, and it’s already tailed off.
  • Lukerz said:

Ancelotti slightly outthought Moyes here. They stopped our game but we still only lost because of a defensive error and even though Benrahma should’ve saved it.

Not sure it’s a game plan, stick everybody behind the ball in a 5-4-1 formation
    I think plenty could say we’ve done that. Their three stopped us getting behind and stopped all the crosses we spammed in over the first half and they threatened on the break a few times. Not saying it was a masterclass but we didn’t adapt so well. Our best chance came from moving it quickly to create space for Coufal but we didn’t replicate that.

I’m frustrated because we still should’ve got at least a point. But we can still pick ourselves up. Benrahma had a really bad game but I am a bit concerned about how effective Lingard is if we’re not given space to run behind. He’s also coming so deep a lot of the time.
  • Yarmo just takes too many touches. He’s been taking twice the number of touches he needs to ever since he signed, and it doesn’t work in this league.

Especially against a very tight defence who need to be pulled around as quickly as possible.

I think the last 3 or 4 games also show why the ‘sign Lingard at any price’ talk was premature. He’s been great but it was the best form of his entire life, and it’s already tailed off.

Yep, I had this chat with a mate 4 weeks ago and he said “Lingard is worth £35m of anybody’s money” and I said “no he isn’t”.
  • Tbf Yarmolenko does have the ability to make something out of nothing...using he just creates nothing but he's a good wildcard

Also think that would've been Bowen coming on had Lanzini not been injured....thought we really missed him, needed his guile to break down Everton

Thought Benrahma was poor all game and Yarmo was worth a punt, was a sub that didn't work, but we were short of options
  • I think Lingard will be good again if a team gives us the chance to play in the way that he thrived. They haven’t since Newcastle. What we’re seeing right now is he isn’t the answer to anything and I think there are games where he should be subbed.
  • Top 4 gone and now we are in a 6th place battle.
  • Fornals has been excellent again today. Such a fascinating player as I’m not totally sure what his best role is but he’s just been excellent and consistent with whatever is asked of him.

I think he will play anywhere you ask him and still get all over the pitch.
  • Bigger picture, we've had a fantastic season and we have the building blocks for a side that can compete in the top 8 consistently.

Fornals is becoming quite a player. Bowen and Benrahma are still getting used to this league and will get better. Coufal and Soucek are outstanding, and we still have Rice.

We also have a manager squeezing every drop out of the players. Players understand their jobs and we play with heart and guts.

Proud to be a Hammer these days.
  • Well, I'm sure Moyes/the board/Noble will get all kinds of stick, but we've given it everything.

They've not given us an inch of space.

Why Noble? 😂
  • I think our season has been great, I'm not going to knock Moyes for trying his luck with Yarmo....Benrahama for me has been the weak link, my one let down this season, pity we didn't get his old team mate Watkins IMO ( and yes I do know they play different positions !)...Not saying he won't come right, but he has been......OK / not bad at best IMO this season ....a few assists, and a lot of huff n puff, but hoping he gets his goal and proves his worth in th starting 11....IMO it was worth giving Yarmelenko a punt...Benrahama had done little in the time he was on the pitch apart from missing a very decent header IMO.

Was a game that was not meant to be.....gave it our best, but Everton defended very well...Onto the next game.
  • Lukerz said:

Yarmo just takes too many touches. He’s been taking twice the number of touches he needs to ever since he signed, and it doesn’t work in this league.

Yep, I had this chat with a mate 4 weeks ago and he said “Lingard is worth £35m of anybody’s money” and I said “no he isn’t”.
    Oh yes he is.
  • 11 shots and 0 on target.

You trying to say it was just one of those days..Happens....
  • I’ll be gutted if all of Liverpool, Everton and Spurs finish above us.
  • Everton lower than us but have a 20 goal striker. How we could do with one of those ( not this game particularly just a remark)
  • Very good season but... and then like my dreams....
    i am worried that Moyes will be very limited in recruitment and hence CL would be a risk to next years PL position. Lets hope we get Rice back and we can over turn Brighton who i think will have two players banned.

Did sky change the stat? They had it as 8 shots 1 on target at one point? Maybe Coufal’s left footed lash counted as -1?
  • Well, I'm sure Moyes/the board/Noble will get all kinds of stick, but we've given it everything.

They've not given us an inch of space.

No Noble isn't responsible for the decisions made in the last window not to but a new striker and a capable back up CDM was he? IF we come up short in qualifying for Europe there should be plenty of criticism registered on the lack of business in those areas in January.
  • We need a proper striker, another left back and centre back and another midfielder, I’d sign lingard and get rid of Anderson yarma lanzini and any fringe player who’s not getting a look in, save on wages and bring some quality in, because then our bench won’t look so threadbare all the time
  • Cuz1 said:

We need a proper striker, another left back and centre back and another midfielder, I’d sign lingard and get rid of Anderson yarma lanzini and any fringe player who’s not getting a look in, save on wages and bring some quality in, because then our bench won’t look so threadbare all the time

It wouldn’t be easy to sell any of them, let alone all of them.
  • I've never liked Troy Deeney, always thought he was a nasty piece of work, but I thought his comments and analysis after the game were spot on. Almost found myself warming to him.
  • edited May 2021
    After the 1st match this season I wanted Moyes gone, I thought we were gonna be in for another dog fight to avoid the drop, but this all seemed irrelevant to me due to the bigger picture in the world we live in....And living far from my Mum and family...

I'm only due to get my 1st vacinne in November at the very earliest, so the relief of not suffering week in week out with drab performances and disappointment is a welcome relief for me to say the very least...

I'd had loved to finish in the top 4 and I've not given up hope...

If we make Europe...result ....IMO compared to where we have come from in our last season...

Will I be gutted if we don't finish top 4...Hell no...Top 7, fantastic for me...an achievement to be happy about..
    If it means we don't sign mega stars or keep our top player or 2, well so be it, the club is always bigger than the player IMO...If Declan wants out....that's up to him....

Today, a setback, one of those things, I'm not gonna go on a downer, not worth the heartache...

I'm so happy with Moyes proving me very wrong this season and the team for well over achieving any expectations I had....

Happy to be a Hammer.

• IF we come up short in qualifying for Europe there should be plenty of criticism registered on the lack of business in those areas in January.
    A bunch of people are way ahead of you there.