West Ham v Leicester 2.05pm Sunday 11th April (On SKY)

Comments

• You mean win - boring goal less draw. 😂
  • MrsGrey said:

For the sake of my nerves, can we have Jorderz back on match threads for a while...

The voice of reason, as always.
  • I can't find the post now, but someone earlier asked when we last scored three goals in three in a row.

The last time was in 2018/19 under Manuel Pellegrini. We beat Newcastle 3-0 at St James' on 1st December (Javier Hernandez (2) and Felipe Anderson), we beat Cardiff 3-1 at home on 4th December (Lucas Perez (2) and Michail Antonio) and then we beat Palace 3-2 at home on 8th December (Robert Snodgrass, Javier Hernandez and Felipe Anderson). We then followed that up with a 2-0 will at Craven Cottage, which ended the three goal streak.

As far as I can tell, we have only done it four times in a row once, and that was under Avram Grant, which did make me double check my data) in 2010-11. We drew 3-3 with West Brom at the Hawthorns (Demba Ba (2) and Carlton Cole), beat Burnley 5-1 at home in the cup (Thomas Hitzlsperger, Carlton Cole (2), Winston Reid, Freddie Sears), beat Liverpool 3-1 at home (Scott Parker, Demba Ba, Carlton Cole) and then Stoke 3-0 at home (Demba Ba, Manuel da Costa, Thomas Hitzlsperger).
  • edited April 2021
    alderz, A fat lot of good it did us where we finished in 2010/11. :p
  • trying to get a Doctor and two nurses on stand by for the Newcastle game .Trouble is with Covid its rather hard
  • edited April 2021
    alderz said:

I can't find the post now, but someone earlier asked when we last scored three goals in three in a row.

The last time was in 2018/19 under Manuel Pellegrini. We beat Newcastle 3-0 at St James' on 1st December (Javier Hernandez (2) and Felipe Anderson), we beat Cardiff 3-1 at home on 4th December (Lucas Perez (2) and Michail Antonio) and then we beat Palace 3-2 at home on 8th December (Robert Snodgrass, Javier Hernandez and Felipe Anderson). We then followed that up with a 2-0 will at Craven Cottage, which ended the three goal streak.

As far as I can tell, we have only done it four times in a row once, and that was under Avram Grant, which did make me double check my data) in 2010-11. We drew 3-3 with West Brom at the Hawthorns (Demba Ba (2) and Carlton Cole), beat Burnley 5-1 at home in the cup (Thomas Hitzlsperger, Carlton Cole (2), Winston Reid, Freddie Sears), beat Liverpool 3-1 at home (Scott Parker, Demba Ba, Carlton Cole) and then Stoke 3-0 at home (Demba Ba, Manuel da Costa, Thomas Hitzlsperger).

‘Twas me, thanks Alderz.

Remember the Grant one, but Pellegrini must have passed me by. 😀

• Glass half empty = we are in a battle for 4th place

Glass half full = we are in a battle for 3rd place
  • edited April 2021
    Me: just fill that glass up, I need another drink.
  • I don't know how pessimistic that makes me, but I still think 6th is as good as it's going to get
  • Never mind 4th ,Lets go for 3rd and i am a pessimist
  • alderz said:

I don't know how pessimistic that makes me, but I still think 6th is as good as it's going to get

Get out...
  • Came on to make a Jorderz joke. Found out everyone’s feeling the same.
  • I may not have viewed it correctly but I didn't think Arthur passed it to their player for the goal that let them back in the match, I think his first touch was so poor it put the ball foot in front of him and their player reached in and toe poked it to the player that scored.

I love Arthur as there are not many defenders with as much control of the ball going forward but he always makes me nervous when we are under pressure. Unlike Arsenal who you had to say fair play to for their come back, as every attack they looked like creating something, I felt Leicester were going to need us to make a mistake.

Every player was good today. Soucek is staying deeper due to Rice not being there but he is really providing protection to the defence. He is getting noticed less but he us doing a lot of work. Lingard and Bowen linked up well and Fornells like Soucek did a lot of quiet work that helped keep shape.
  • Soucek maybe playing deeper but he still gets up top to assist for Bowens goal.
  • edited April 2021
    alderz said:

I don't know how pessimistic that makes me, but I still think 6th is as good as it's going to get

7 games left, we get 21 points, City, United and Leicester lose all their remaining games, We win the league.
    Ez.
  • Mooj, long time no see.
  • edited April 2021
    There is no doubt that this is turning out to be remarkable season that has exceeded my reasonable expectations, in most things I try to keep my expectations at that level but when it comes to WHU, I more often than not lean towards the optimistic.

Finishing 6th would be great and anything better than that tremendous, in truth however, I think that our lack of strength in depth will ultimately find us out, either this year or next but in the meantime.....

COYI
  • How many teams can concede 7 goals in three matches and yet take 7 points?

There is a rumour going around that Moyes is sat on a beach somewhere and our manager is going to be unmasked soon, scooby doo style, to reveal Kevin Keegan.
  • To be honest, I’m not completely bothered about whether we finish 4th 5th 6th or 9th. We will be top half, and with a positive goal difference, although that has taken a beasting in the last few weeks. My big takes from this season has been the positivity, happiness and love I have found for my club. It never wavered, through relegations, sackings, sales, and shifting our home, we are now stuck with it, our Boleyn has gone. Maybe with a season like this we can move on. We have a squad, and play for each other, and are enjoyable to watch. And we have an iconic genius of a skipper. Or two actually. It’s been a real buzz, a joy, and a lot of fun. COYI ⚒
  • To return to the thing about Covid breaches by Maddison et al. How does that even happen? I'm genuinely baffled.
  • Hammerwombat, I will agree 4th or 5th maybe even 6th but ninth will be very deflating.
  • You mean like when Maddison was out on the town after withdrawing from an England squad?
  • Herb, it's different though. Isn't it?
  • It seems as Maddison has this kind of thing in his locker.
  • Masuaku’s sloppy moment (I’ll give him the benefit as he’s just come back from months out) was really the catalyst for that end of game madness, as I felt we were managing that game far better than the last two. We defended a lot better, were not conceding chances, were not sitting back, were pressing them in their own half even at 3-0. There was no way back for them. It was purely that dithering on the ball that ended up changing the course of the game. Then it just became wave after wave of attack. Benrahma didn’t help his cause with that slack bit of play on the counter attack which resulted in the second goal.
  • Lukerz said:

Masuaku’s sloppy moment (I’ll give him the benefit as he’s just come back from months out) was really the catalyst for that end of game madness, as I felt we were managing that game far better than the last two. We defended a lot better, were not conceding chances, were not sitting back, were pressing them in their own half even at 3-0. There was no way back for them. It was purely that dithering on the ball that ended up changing the course of the game. Then it just became wave after wave of attack. Benrahma didn’t help his cause with that slack bit of play on the counter attack which resulted in the second goal.

Probably not for here, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if we sold Benrahma in the summer. Really don't think Moyes rates him and the confidence he had after a stella season with Brentford looks to have all but gone.

Honestly think if someone offers £25m for him he's gone
  • Doubt it very much. Moyes has often said players from the championship take time to adjust and need easing in. He still says that Bowen is not there yet n
  • MrsGrey said:

Herb, it's different though. Isn't it?

The mentality seems to be the same though MrsG, a bit blasé maybe.
  • I don't agree Said will be sold or isn't fancied. At the end of the day, we're 4th. It's not like we're 17th and he still can't get a game.

Somebody out of Jesse, Bowen, Fornals and Said has to miss out at the moment. He's a classy player and I still think he has a big moment or two to come this season.
  • Have to say that St. Brendan went up in my estimation with his post match interview. Very honest and made it clear that he wouldn't sacrifice his principles for the sake of the result. There was also a subtle dig at players' wages when he said he could take money from them (the 3 missing players) but with the money they're paid, they wouldn't notice it.