West Ham V Arsenal (H) Sun 21st March

Comments

• Lukerz said:

I think Rice failed to have a real influence on the game

Rice looks cream crackered
  • What are the rules on CL winners? I mean is it in our interest to root for Chelsea in this season’s CL?
  • On the bright side the point means now 4 points ahead of spurs even with there game in hand
  • He didn't look cream cracked when he went on that late run up the field. Both him and Soucek look tired as the game starts but it never stops them running all day long.
  • Top 4 battle isn't over yet.... we have to play Chelsea. Even a win against Arsenal wouldn't change the fact that we would need to beat Chelsea to topple them to get into 4th anyway. Its still very much up for grabs for whoever.
  • Rice imo has been under par for a few games. As has Soucek. He had two chances very early that he would've buried before. Rice has been loose with his passing. That takes nothing away from what they've done for us this season but I do think they've lost a little edge, probably because they're so tired.
  • When we were under pressure we ended up just booting the ball to clear straight to an arsenal player who just came back on to us, it’s been said I’m not a moyes fan and as much as against Man Utd he infuriated me I really can’t have a pop after taking a point against Arsenal, a game of two halves and on another day we’d have took all 3 points
  • If you're going to criticise Soucek for those two early headers then you need to crucify Antonio for the two far easier chances he squandered.
  • Dont think either of Antonio's were easy tbf

The first it came to him quick, had to hit it first time and Tierney was on the side of the goal that was 'open

And the 2nd he was at full stretch, not sure what else he could've done
  • Tierney was on the floor.
  • IronHerb said:

6th and 7th can get into the Europa League and Europa Conference League, depending on the League and FA Cup winners league position. I think our realistic target is 5th and will take any position that qualifies for a European spot.

But we'd want to avoid any potential play off games, and another Astra Goo Goo situation. We could really do without those games before the league season starts.
  • edited March 2021
    That watch was exhausting, who needs a roller coaster when you have WHU, 30 mins in we are cruising and really looking like we deserve our league position, closing down, positive forward play, creating chances and looking solid at the back, making Arsenal look very much like 2nd class citizens and then..........when expectations are at their highest...

We come out for the second half.............

All of a sudden we look nervous and panicky, Noble comes on to steady the ship, I think we all knew how that was going to end. In fact when Antonio was booked for tracking back late on, he did so as the player just flew past Noble.

Out of Bowen, Benrahma and Lingard, I would probably have taken Lingard off as he looked shattered to me after a great first half.

Last 10 minutes were torturous. I have to be happy to respect the point, but it still feels like we blew it.
  • edited March 2021
    I think we have to give some credit to Arsenal. They did to us in the 2nd half what we did to them.in.the first

People saying we threw away the second half, but we were playing against a different team in the second half.
  • IronHerb said:

If you're going to criticise Soucek for those two early headers then you need to crucify Antonio for the two far easier chances he squandered.

It’s not criticism, I just said I think he would’ve scored them before. Nothing I said is a criticism, just my observation.

Antonio has always missed good chances so I struggle to get annoyed, I’ve just accepted it.
  • I'm with you on that Outcast.
  • The thing with the Antonio chance when he hit the post is that he really couldn’t have done anymore without being a couple of inches taller. He moved well, he was full stretch. It’s one of those where on another day it ricochets into the net. The only problem is that he’s had probably 4 or 5 of those this season where they very easily could have ended up in the net but just haven’t.
  • edited March 2021
    I think 4 points from Spurs, Man Utd & Arsenal you have to be satisfied with, especially when we took 1 from the reverse fixtures against those sides earlier in the season, & 1 off them last season.
  • Listen, I’m satisfied with the points haul in the last 3 games. I’m more than satisfied with the season, I’m delighted with the season. But that doesn’t mean that blowing a 3-0 lead means nothing.
  • edited March 2021
    IronHerb said:

He didn't look cream cracked when he went on that late run up the field. Both him and Soucek look tired as the game starts but it never stops them running all day long.

But he did after. He struggled to get back. Not a criticism at all btw.
  • I admire the way most on here are managing to remain positive but I am sorry but to use part of Jarrod Bowen's quote " I am extremely disappointed and frustrated" after our last two results and really hope we aren't made to regret at the end of the season not attacking United last week and having poor game management today if we miss out on European qualification. Somebody should have recognised it was going all "Pete Tong" (sorry I do know who he supports) & got hold the the team and made them see the match out properly. Would Roy Keane let that happen?
  • When you're surrounded by world class players it's a lot easier for players like Keane.
  • Really enjoyed that game - thought the call by Moss to not let play continue changed the outcome, but who knows.
  • edited March 2021
    I don’t think we blew the lead.

We got ourselves into a position to win the game, with still 2 thirds of the game remaining. Souček was very unlucky with his deflection to get them back in it. Arsenal played very well second half & we couldn’t hold out (Dawson was maybe a bit unfortunate too).

Despite all that, we had 2/3 chances to get a 4th before they got their 3rd. It was annoying but one of those things. Far more annoyed with the Utd game than that.
  • IronHerb, not wanting to come over all Jose but it’s also down to attitude. David Moyes quoted in the press saying something about knowing what it takes to stay in contention for European qualification well losing a 3 goal lead regardless of 2 poor key referring decisions hindering us isn’t the right way of going about that. Sorry I am going to be “stewing” about this until we hopefully put things right at Wolves on the 5th as it matters a lot to me.
  • Even with a potential 27 points up for grabs, neither Sheffiled United or West Brom could mathematically catch us even if they won every single game

Some stat given where we were at this stage last year

I agree that if you gave us 4 points from City, United, Arsenal and Spurs you'd take it, plus a good win over Leeds sandwiched in between

We go into the break 5th, ahead of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton

It's easy saying "if we did X, Y, Z" but football isn't so black and white....if it was so easy then it wouldn't be the best sport in the world, sometimes you can have the best intentions but the opposition are just better and better teams then us have lost points from a position of strength

After the break we are likely to welcome back Ogbonna, Masuaku, Fornals and Yarmolenko....you'd argue apart from Yarmolenko at least 2 of those would be considered part of our XI in any given week

We are still in a great position and will have a fantastic season, in our final 9 games you'd argue only Chelsea, Leicester and possibly Everton we would be underdogs
  • Do think we missed Fornals today
  • WHU, I suppose it’s great credit to how far we have come that I don’t feel four points from those games is good as I expected us to win the 2 home games and draw at Old Trafford.
  • edited March 2021
    I am feeling disappointed and frustrated 5 hours after the game. No analysis needed. We should have put the game to bed.
  • steve said:

Do think we missed Fornals today

I was happy with the starting lineup but I think we win this game if Fornals comes on to gives us energy in the midfield.
  • Lukerz said:

I don’t think we blew the lead.

I feel like you’re splitting hairs here. Call it what you want, blowing the lead, choking, the other team deservedly coming back, whatever, the fact remains we were were 3-0 up, and then we didn’t win the game. That’s frustrating, and I find it really weird that you’re seemingly arguing that it’s not!

(I agree the United game was worse)