Yuck! Stupid Villa on Wednesday!

Comments

• Just looked on some Villa sites ,And mostly there fans seem to be saying how well we played ,That was kind of nice to see .There fans might be okay .But Smith and Grealish oh well i will say no more in respect to there fans =)
  • I am still not sure I get the Grealish love fest.

Clearly talented, but yesterday showed he was not able to influence a big game when faced with challenges.

If he spent more time trying to ride challenges than looking to generate contact & go down, I’m sure he’d have far more influence.

6 goals, for me, is not a lot given it’s February & given the hype.
  • I think the ref's give us 28 milliseconds advantage as opposed to the 10 seconds all other teams get. The moment Soucek passed the ball to Antonio the ref deemed he had played an advantage so the penalty didn't come into it.
  • Their fans seem to be a bit odd to me. Agree most seem to admit we deserved it yesterday but there seems to be this feeling amongst them that they should be in Europe or at least challenging. They haven't long been back in the prem and survived by the skin of their teeth last season. They are kind of over achieving imo and they should be delighted with how things are going.
  • Lukerz said:

I am still not sure I get the Grealish love fest.

Clearly talented, but yesterday showed he was not able to influence a big game when faced with challenges.

If he spent more time trying to ride challenges than looking to generate contact & go down, I’m sure he’d have far more influence.

Anyone can get marked out of a game. The fact we changed our gameplan to try to deal with him specifically shows his quality, IMO. He still made 4 key passes (highest in the game, and more than all his team combined) and got an assist.

I think the fact that people don't like him makes them misjudge his talent.
  • I agree he is talented. One of the best, if not the best, technical players in England. I don’t like him, but I know he is technically brilliant.

I don’t feel what I see matches the hype.
  • edited February 2021
    I think he's decent. Villa are extremely fortunate to have him and they are pretty much Grealish FC imo.
  • Something that amused me was when comms said it's Ben Johnson coming on to replace Ben Rahma =)
  • Re Grealish.
    IMO he does himself no favours...
    That hideous hairstyle.
    The socks that show his big legs off..." Like , look at me..."
    All rings a bit of "I'm gods gift", apart from him being a good footballer it comes across I'm well ......"greasy".
    Clean your act up, get with it, get a haircut, pull your socks up & stop acting that a small tap on your ankles is like someone whacking you with a hammer and a few of us might appreciate you a bit more..IMO.
  • What a great performance. It is a long time since I have seen a West Ham team with such speed and mobility up front. DM has done a fantastic job with the resources he has and he now looks as if he he is back to the manager he was in his Everton days . The pressure he had is a lot less and he deserves his success he is a thoroughly decent man.
  • alderz - I certainly think he is talented but I dislike him intensely because a) he appears to prefer diving to win advantage (and, it seems, to get opposition players booked) rather than using that talent. And b) he comes across in media interviews etc as somebody who is convinced of his own greatness.
    Also, perhaps not entirely his fault, but I can’t stand the media constantly quoting the ‘most fouled player’ stat. without qualifying it by pointing out how many of those ‘fouls’ are merely players looking at him in a threatening way.
    Finally, compare him with the late great George Best who stayed on his feet despite having lumps kicked off him. When he is that good and shows some humility I might grow to like him.
  • I just want to be clear that I don't like him either. He's one of my least favourite current players because I absolutely despise his attitude, and it makes me really cross seeing fans of his club and influential commentators in the media excuse all his horribleness just because he's a very good footballer.
  • And as an England player it berates me when I here Southgate say he will win us free kicks because I love winning but I prefer honesty first and if he played for us I’d say the same he’s an embarrassment imo
  • The idea that Villa had an off day is not right as we made them look limited, but that also applies when we ourselves say we were a bit flat or off the pace regard the Liverpool game as they made us look like that.

Liverpool seem to be lacking that consistency since Van Djiik has been out, they made an in form team like us look ordinary at the weekend and then lose at home to Brighton.
  • Cuz1 said:

And as an England player it berates me when I here Southgate say he will win us free kicks because I love winning but I prefer honesty first and if he played for us I’d say the same he’s an embarrassment imo

He does get fouled a lot, you know he is the most fouled player in the Prem don't you? 😂, but if you half his foul total then there are still a lot of legitimate fouls which can be benefitted from.
  • With him you never know I’m just glad I will never support a team with him playing in it
  • Cuz what if we do a lingard on him.
  • I’d stop watching till he’d gone he really is dispicable, I have a real good mate who’s a villa fan and he hates him more than I do
  • Some people might not be old enough 😂, but I feel this season is (so far) closer to season 85/86 rather than 2015/16. The latter largely revolved around the freakish form of one individual. 85/86, in spite of the front duo’s goals, was underpinned by the tireless work of the likes of ward, Devonshire, dickens, etc.

From the 2015/16 season, only Randolph, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Noble. Lanzini and still in the first-team squad Antonio. That teams revolved around Payet and with his departure it fell flat and Bilic eventually got the sack. The current team does revolve around one or even two individuals and seems to have a broader base can finish higher than 7th.

In 1985/86 we finished 3rd. It was best team that have seen for a long while and played as a unit with flair players. Alvin Martin was an absolute rock at the back. McAvennie and Cottee did the business at the other end. Unfortunately, due to a ban on English teams we did not play European football. So have high hopes this. Love to win the FA cup too.
  • I think Bilic isn't always given the credit he deserves for getting so much out of Payet that season. I don't think it's just chance that Payet had the season of his career that year.
  • baracks_a_hammer said:
    Some people might not be old enough , but I feel this season is (so far) closer to season 85/86 rather than 2015/16. The latter largely revolved around the freakish form of one individual. 85/86, in spite of the front duo’s goals, was underpinned by the tireless work of the likes of ward, Devonshire, dickens, etc.

Apologies the earlier message got garbled ... so here is corrected one

From the 2015/16 season, only Randolph, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Noble, Lanzini and Antonio are still in the first-team squad . That team revolved around Payet and with his departure it fell flat and Bilic eventually got the sack. The current team does not revolve around one or even two individuals and seems to have a broader base and can finish higher than 7th.

In 1985/86 we finished 3rd. It was the best team that I have seen for a long while and played as a unit with flair players. Alvin Martin was an absolute rock at the back. McAvennie and Cottee did the business at the other end. Unfortunately, due to a ban on English teams we did not play European football. So have high hopes this season. Love to win the FA cup too.
  • alderz said:

I just want to be clear that I don't like him either. He's one of my least favourite current players because I absolutely despise his attitude, and it makes me really cross seeing fans of his club and influential commentators in the media excuse all his horribleness just because he's a very good footballer.

If, as you say, he's a very good footballer, how would you describe Lingard on last night's performance, or Soucek, or Benrahma, just to mention a few.
    I honestly think he is overrated just because he's English.
  • alderz said:

I just want to be clear that I don't like him either. He's one of my least favourite current players because I absolutely despise his attitude, and it makes me really cross seeing fans of his club and influential commentators in the media excuse all his horribleness just because he's a very good footballer.

If, as you say, he's a very good footballer, how would you describe Lingard on last night's performance, or Soucek, or Benrahma, just to mention a few.
    I honestly think he is overrated just because he's English.
    I think they all had very good games too... I’m not sure what your question is? Just because one player is good doesn’t mean other players aren’t...
  • edited February 2021

Re Grealish.
    IMO he does himself no favours...
    That hideous hairstyle.
    The socks that show his big legs off..." Like , look at me..."
    All rings a bit of "I'm gods gift", apart from him being a good footballer it comes across I'm well ......"greasy".
    Clean your act up, get with it, get a haircut, pull your socks up & stop acting that a small tap on your ankles is like someone whacking you with a hammer and a few of us might appreciate you a bit more..IMO.

I think you mean grow up
  • edited February 2021
    McAvennie and Cotte scored 46 goals between them that season (85/86).
    I reckon Soucek and Dawson could be close to that this season.
  • McAvennie and Cotte scored 46 goals between them that season (85/86).
    I reckon Soucek and Dawson could be close to that this season.

Depends. If Jordan tries to take over the match threads again we’ll be lucky to get a goal a game
  • Yeah, but what valuable goals that were.
  • Don’t mock Dawson. He is still ahead of Son Heung-Min in 2021
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

I am still not sure I get the Grealish love fest.

Anyone can get marked out of a game. The fact we changed our gameplan to try to deal with him specifically shows his quality, IMO. He still made 4 key passes (highest in the game, and more than all his team combined) and got an assist.

I think the fact that people don't like him makes them misjudge his talent.
    Has anyone ever seen Alderz and Glenn Hoddle at the same time =)