Burnley (H) - 3pm, 16th January

Comments

• Ooh chore hadn't thought of that one. 2 or 3 now.
  • You’ll need more than that. I’m not planning to lose for a while yet.

I think everybody wants Morederz.
  • Soar, floor, flaw, spore, lore
  • I think everybody wants Morederz.

I wouldn't be so sure-derz
  • Just watching Burnley-Man United.

Think the game on Saturday is going to be a footballing feast.
  • Your a better person then me Jorderz,No way i can watch Burnley twice in a week
  • Sean Dyche :-(
  • Burnley = Not football
  • Burnley were beaten by MANU tonight and did not get a single sort on goal. The danger player is Wood and he usually scores again WHU. Hopefully, Ogbonna will keep him quiet. WE need to be more creative and hope that Antonio rediscovers his earlier form.
  • Chris Wood has scored 6 goals in 6 Premier League games against us

Has anybody got John Moncur's number...
  • I just hope it's not going to be last orderz
  • This is probably going to be the same 11 we had out against them last season, minus 3 players.

Fredericks, Diop & Yarmolenko will probably be the only changes. They beat us 0-1. We were unlucky to lose, but I wouldn’t say it was smash & grab. They always seem to have our number.

They are so solid at the back & find ways to grind out a goal from somewhere.
  • I just want Jorderdici to be starting the Allardyce match thread. It will be hilarious. Master v protege
  • Lets face it, replacing Fredericks, Diop & Yarmolenko with Coufal, Dawson and a traffic cone will make it a better team that we are putting out.
  • Oggy and Dawson are the perfect defensive combination to face a side like Burnley
  • Dawson = clean sheet so why not try and field 9 more attacking minded players? 😉
  • We certainly don't want to be relying on Cresswell at the back post against Wood or Barnes so go for a back 4 and if it has to be 3 at the back I would go
    Fab
    Balbuena , Dawson , Ogbonna
    Coufal, Soucek, Rice, Cresswell/Johnson
    Bowen, Antonio, Benrhama
  • Not a bad line up Brother_sledge. I would prefer Cresswell over Johnson. He offered very little, in the way of overlapping, on Monday. Admittedly a different scenario but I was a bit disappointed with him.
  • yoyo said:

Not a bad line up Brother_sledge. I would prefer Cresswell over Johnson. He offered very little, in the way of overlapping, on Monday. Admittedly a different scenario but I was a bit disappointed with him.

I doubt he’s played on too many of those pitches! Coufal was pretty cautious as well for most of the game. Playing on your weaker foot in those conditions would make you very wary about bombing forward.

I think Moyes saw that game as a test for this in a sense. You could hear him shouting at them to shift the ball, so I think the idea was to try and create space through passing when we had more possession. But the weather completely ruined the plan. It would have been interesting to see what happened if we had normal conditions.

I reckon it will be a back four here anyway. I think that’s probably what we’ll mostly have until Masuaku is back, unless we really start struggling defensively.
  • This will be without doubt a frustrating game to watch. I don't like Burnley.
  • edited January 2021
    Burnley have scored just 4 away goals in 8 games, joint worst with Sheff U and have conceded 13 (14th) which bizarrely is the same as Liverpool (although 7 of Liverpool's 13 came at Villa).

Burnley's only away win this season was at the pre-Christmas version Arsenal where Xhaka got sent off and Aubameyang scored an own goal, otherwise 3 draws and 4 losses. Overall they're 18th away

(What did Arteta get from Santa?)

On home games we're 8th, the only home loses were against Newcastle and Man U, drawn 3, won 3, GF 12 GA 10.

I'd say a draw is the least we can expect and the last time we drew at home to Burnley was 2nd April 1966.

Burnley were in 4th chasing leaders Liverpool, Peter Brabrook scored on the hour but Willie Irvine equalised 15 minutes later (joint top scorer with Roger Hunt that season, 29)

A cautious 1-0
  • edited January 2021
    Whoops.

The last time we drew against Burnley at home in the top flight was 1966, we drew against them at home 2-2 in the Championship 18 October 2003, Don Hutchinson grabbed the equaliser at the end. Brooking in the dugout, Pardew took over after that.
  • At least there shouldn't be a pitch invasion !
  • Really looking forward to seeing our new signings against Burnley I wonder what these new directors look like :-)
  • Really looking forward to seeing our new signings against Burnley I wonder what these new directors look like :-)

Half way through the window and we've signed more new directors than we have players.
  • At least there shouldn't be a pitch invasion !

......have you ever seen a Sullivan family arguement!!
  • OCS, it’s the “West Ham Way”! 😉
  • Moyes will have someone up his sleeve I’m sure/surely he will because relying on Antonio/ square peg or youngster back from injury is not the way forward even till season end imo
  • I see Lawro has us down for a 2-0 win

Obviously he doesn’t know Jorderz too well.
  • edited January 2021
    Two West Ham goals in a Jorderz match thread? Stuff of dreams, that.

With 12pm fast approaching, it's looking highly unlikely that we'll have a new striker in time for this game. So a not-match-fit Antonio starting and Odubeko on the bench it is then.

Not that it matters much; I can't see us creating too much from open play for whoever plays up front, so I think we're relying on set pieces and Soucek's head again.

1-1 bore draw.