Burnley (H) - 3pm, 16th January

Comments

• I am glad we didn’t push on the Tarkowski deal over the summer
  • Massive dependency on Antonio. Not just to score goals but to cause real problems for opposition defenders.
  • Antonio hugging literally everyone on the pitch. That no goal celebration thing was useful, then.
  • Wow we made hard work if that. Some awful decision making. Thought Fornals was good today.
  • Both sides walking off chatting together and both teams smiling
  • 2021 - 3 games played, 3 games won 1-0
  • I was never worried tbh. Jordan match threads have a one goal maximum policy
  • Got away with that. Wasteful finishing could have cost us.
  • We were very wasteful and showed a real lack of quality.

Delighted we won, but we could have been punished on another day.
  • Get the match thread started Jorderz. I've got a cracker.
  • We desperately need another striker.
  • Not sure where the phews, let's breathe, got away with etc are coming from

Even in the last 15 minutes when Burnley were pushing for an equaliser didn't feel particularly worried, think we had by far the better chances when Burnley were "on top"

Really enjoyed that, we look like a right solid unit and while wasteful we were creating chances which imo is more important...if we weren't creating anything I'd be worried

Big 3 points and only 3 points of 4th (obviously a lot of teams still got a game to play)
  • Haha Antonio's goal celebration was a forfeit from Rice for losing in COD
  • Apart from a poor header that went for a corner... IMO my MOM ... step forward, Craig Dawson ..
  • Glad to see Moyes is being carefull with Antonio ,he only played 94 mins =)
  • Another textbook effort from Jorderdici

Give that man a knighthood right now.
  • Ogbonna my MOTM, as he has been numerous times this season. Considering he had a really dodgy spell a couple of years back, he's now showing superb form.
  • For a couple on seconds I thought their cross ,that hit the bar, was going in and Oggy sliding missed clearance ( the ball hit Rodriguez in the stomach and just went wide) I thought that was in. We need to be more ruthless and finish teams off when we have the chances. A better team would not be so generous
  • One for cuz

We don't win that with Haller up top...
  • Seems a lifetime ago that Dawson was getting pilloried on here when he signed but so far he’s not had to trudge back to the middle in his four games.
  • Good win.
    Burnley huffed and puffed but weren't that dangerous. No saves needed by Fab. Ogbonna was immense once again and Dawson had another good game. Bowen and Benrahma played well and I was surprised Benny was subbed off. Fornals was his busy self and grabs another assist. We didn't allow them to bully us as they have recently. As stated elsewhere, some better decision making would have offered us more good opportunities to score.
    Bring on the Albion.

COYI
  • Knicked this from football London “ The Dawgbonna “ partnership ⚒💕
  • Dawson does the basics very well. Long may it continue.
  • Bowen needs something to break for him. He might need a rest but we’re not the same without him. His general game is still good, he’s just taking too many touches in the crucial attacking positions, which is weird because I think he’s best when he does things quickly - like the cross for Dawson in the cup. Once he gets sharp and is scoring again we’re a real threat, as we were in the first games. Benrahma played more like early Lanzini today. It didn’t quite come off for him but he made us much more threatening.
  • Yeah, we won't get away with too many of them. Think back to Man U; we had so many chances to kill them off by half time and ended up losing. Bowen, as much as I like him, makes the wrong choice so often in the final third, and the same goes for Yarmolenko. Really need to be more clinical than we have been of late.

Surprised Benny got the hook when he did. Really felt he was the most likely to create a second. In fact, he was clean through at one stage but Rice made the wrong pass and the chance was gone.

But the positives are plenty too. Ogbonna is hands down HOTY as it stands, Dawson has been so much better than I think any of us thought he'd be, Antonio made it through another 90+ minutes and another three points and clean sheet.

I only hope now that Sullivan doesn't sit back on this start. We're in no danger of going down this year, so the temptation may be to stick with what we've got, but we have a great chance to challenge for Europe now and this needs to be aided by strengthening the squad.
  • One more thing. Watched this on Prime with Ally McCoist on co-comms. He's excellent.
  • Antonio looked pretty fit to me
  • If I’d realised it was on prime I wouldn’t have watched on a rubbish laggy stream :)
  • Lukerz said:

Antonio looked pretty fit to me

Get a room
  • I don’t know how (or if) it’s possible to check this, but has any West Ham player every registered 4 clean sheets in their first four starts for the club?