Burnley (H) - 3pm, 16th January

Comments

• One for lukerz by David Moyes yesterday and I quote “ Micky was very good for someone who is just coming back from injury “ seems even the gaffer agrees with my post couldn’t find the bit ref 140 minutes or 4 weeks training though
  • Can we cut out the “one for so and so” stuff now please? We all know there are site rules about being personal and going after other people, and it’s getting really silly and tit for tat now.

End of the day, before this season the highest level Benrahma has played at is the championship

Not quite. Benrahma played 29 times in the French top flight for Angers and Nice although most of those were as a substitute. Scored 4.

Ligue 1 might not be Premier League level but it is higher than the Championship.
    I did check, according to whoscored he had only 300 minutes across 1 season for Angers and 300 minutes across 2 seasons for Nice, all mainly as subs

For me wouldn't say hes really had a true run at Ligue 1 (which probably isn't as far from Championship as you'd imagine)
  • Just saw the goal against few times. The pass from Benrahma into Bowen was really something else. That’s the sort of creativity that we’ve been crying out for. If he can give that on a regular basis he’ll be a difference maker for sure.
  • edited January 2021

So refreshing to have a striker who actually pressures defenders and the goalie rather than slouch around waiting to get the ball. Defending starts with the centre forward and Antonio does so much more harrying work.

To be honest, I didn’t think Antonio had that good a game although I do appear to be in the minority. Yes, he scored but apart from that did he really do that much? On the BBC match page he got MOM. IMO there were at least 3-4 players ahead of him.
  • I don’t think he was great, but he definitely put yards in, which is I think what puddle glum was getting at.
  • Antonio does what you’d hope any striker can do. Hassle & be a nuisance on & off the ball. I agree he wasn’t the best player. I thought Soucek was my MOTM. Protected the back two really well in a more disciplined role.
  • Lukerz said:

Antonio does what you’d hope any striker can do. Hassle & be a nuisance on & off the ball. I agree he wasn’t the best player. I thought Soucek was my MOTM. Protected the back two really well in a more disciplined role.

I feel like I’m defaulting to him regularly, but Ogbonna was my MOTM again. He’s barely put a foot out of step this season
  • You're only defaulting to Ogbonna as he is invariably is MOTM.
  • Fornals was my motm.
  • It shows how well we have been playing, in any normal season HOTY could be already over with any of the consistent displays from Rice, Ogbonna & Soucek. We have three genuine contenders now that it's hard to choose from. Honourable mentions to Bowen and Coufel as well.
  • It shows how well we have been playing, in any normal season HOTY could be already over with any of the consistent displays from Rice, Ogbonna & Soucek. We have three genuine contenders now that it's hard to choose from. Honourable mentions to Bowen and Coufel as well.

And of course, Antonio
  • Don’t know who I’d choose because of those mentioned there’s others like cresswell who’s having a good season imo and balbuena, but wouldn’t be against any of those
  • Cuz1 said:

Don’t know who I’d choose because of those mentioned there’s others like cresswell who’s having a good season imo and balbuena, but wouldn’t be against any of those

Cresswell is in with a shout for sure, but Balbuena has been up and down for me.
  • I don't think I could include Antonio as of yet as his best work was at the end of last season, he has been out too long to be compared with those other three at present. Hoping for a late injury free charge from him in this second half of the season.
  • alderz said:

Cuz1 said:

Don’t know who I’d choose because of those mentioned there’s others like cresswell who’s having a good season imo and balbuena, but wouldn’t be against any of those

Cresswell is in with a shout for sure, but Balbuena has been up and down for me.
    I believe he started off up and down but definitely got better, and injury aside Dawson probably wouldn’t have been picked, but how could you leave Dawson out now ?
  • Rice is always there and there about because he's class. Soucek is consistent, Bowen and Coufel hard working and Cresswell seems born again. But if we side step Rice then it's Oggyy or Soucek for me so far. Things can change in the second half of the season.
  • Oggy definitely my HOTY on the season so far, although it's nice that a few players have been playing well enough to be in contention 👏👏👏
  • Ogbonna
    Rice
    Soucek
    Cresswell

Would be my order so far. Antonio if he stays fully fit until the summer may well storm the lot if he keeps scoring as regularly as he is.
  • Cuz1 said:

alderz said:

Cuz1 said:

I believe he started off up and down but definitely got better, and injury aside Dawson probably wouldn’t have been picked, but how could you leave Dawson out now ?
    He’s only played 4 games, and Ogbonna also got a clean sheet in all of those
  • Lukerz said:

Ogbonna
    Rice
    Soucek
    Cresswell

Would be my order so far. Antonio if he stays fully fit until the summer may well storm the lot if he keeps scoring as regularly as he is.

Yeah, same for me. Rice has been amazing, but I expect him to be. Oggy has been unreal and it’s been a little unexpected - I know he’s solid but this is his best season for us in ever
  • edited January 2021
    alderz said:

Cuz1 said:

alderz said:

Cuz1 said:

He’s only played 4 games, and Ogbonna also got a clean sheet in all of those
    I was referring to your post agreeing he was up and down at first not Dawson
  • Ah I see. When you said “how could you leave Dawson out” I thought you meant from the HOTY running.
  • No lol sorry could have been clearer
  • I thought Bowen was a goal away from being mom. He roasted Pieters and his Corners are consistently dangerous. Fornals showed why we play better with him in the side. A great engine and links well with every player. It's a pleasure to watch a team with so many positive members in it =)
  • Dawson was awesome but Oggy's the doggy's
  • Do we have an option to purchase Dawson?

He has done pretty much everything we'd want from him and more, is at his best years for a CB (only 30), seems to be the type of character moyes likes and would be an able back up that comes with little financial risk as he won't cost much

Need a larger pool of games to judge him, but id be happy to make it permanent if he continues in this form
  • edited January 2021
    There is an option to buy, I've read it is just £2m and even though Dawson will turn 31 in May that seems a bargain price.

Oggy's birthday is two weeks after Dawson's, he'll be 33 and he's having his best season with us.

He's been consistent against clubs in the top ten, bottom ten and lower league, making Dawson's move permanent is a no-brainer
  • He was bought in for cover and he has proved he can provide it. I guess Diop is the big decision as he is young so do we keep him and allow him time to improve? we just acknowledged that centre backs mature later than many positions so in theory Diop is well ahead of his years. He seems to not be in favour with Moyes, hence Dawson getting the call up to cover.