Injury and Recovery News 2020/21

Comments

• edited April 2021
    At the end of the day, our current squad has been small all season. We currently have 19 outfield players (22 including the goalkeepers). We sit 4th.

We can’t moan too much about the decision making process behind that squad size because we sit 4th with 8 games to go. Whatever decision was made, at the moment is vindicated. If we were sitting in the bottom five & in a relegation battle, questions would be asked.

I also don’t think an injury to Rice or Antonio calls that decision making into question, because we played without one on Monday (plus the other for 60 mins) & we still won the game. We have played without Antonio this season; we still won games. We have played without a recognised striker this season; we still picked up points. As a couple of posters have said, injuries do happen.

I did struggle to get my head around the decision to go all season with one official striker (Haller), then sell him in January & not replace him. Antonio is not even technically a striker. But Moyes publicly admitted that was his call (he decided against another forward & to gamble with Antonio), & we sit in the top four. We can’t argue with it at the moment. We have not been reliant on Antonio this season, as we have 29 goals split between four players, & Antonio has 7 of them. 22 of them have come from Souček, Bowen & Lingard.

Let’s see how we do in these final 8 games. I have faith in the other players to step up.
  • Michail Antonio could miss the rest of the season after scans revealed that the striker’s hamstring injury is worse than first feared, further denting West Ham’s hopes of Champions League qualification.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/09/michael-antonio-could-miss-rest-of-season-west-ham-david-moyes
  • As bad as all of this is, Ogbonna's return date on physioroom is 17th and I really hope that's true because having him back for the last 5 or 6 games will be massive.
  • I think with Ogbonna’s return, we look more likely to then keep clean sheets. That will mean we only need 1 goal instead of the recent 3/4.
  • edited April 2021
    It's a shame about Antonio but not massively surprising. I think most people predicted his inevitable injury anyway that's just the way he is. I think Bowen will do an ok job up top. He seems to link up well with Lingard. Tbh when we first signed Bowen I thought he was a striker anyway. Losing Antonio shouldn't really effect our results and Rice is a bigger loss imo. We seriously need to get a striker or two in, in the summer though.
  • I don’t think Antonio’s going off put us on the back foot because we scored after he went off. We tend to go on the back foot whenever we have a lead and we’re into the second half regardless of who’s on

We really missed his hold up play and his bullying of defenders. There was just no get out pass once he went off.

• The issue is that Antonio’s performance on Monday was superb, but he then does his hamstring playing like that. I felt all the games prior he was holding himself back.
  • Agree Slacker. I think Lingard almost offers the Antonio effect of stretching the defence with pace but as the game goes on if Lingard gets isolated, that's when you really notice Antonio missing.
  • You can look at our 3rd goal v Wolves, and see what is still possible even with Antonio out - what was it Lingard and Bowen breaking with pace when faced with 5 or 6 back tracking defenders? Absolutely breathtaking.
  • Also, to be fair, Moyes made it very clear when we signed Lingard that this was a player who could play as a striker. So when people say we signed nobody to replace Haller, we brought in Lingard to occupy any one of the front four positions. His record so far, which will most likely surpass Antonio between now & the end of the season, suggests Moyes was right.
  • Grealish has apparently had an injury set back with Dean Smith saying the following (whatever this is supposed to mean):

“he couldn't tolerate the loading. It's a loading injury and we have to de-load him over the next few weeks “
  • Cue lots of jokes about Grealish and carrying.
  • Is he constipated?
  • It was his carrying which caused the injury, ten other players all on his own.

Apparently he is changing gyms to the same one as Zaha as he has been carrying players for a lot longer.
  • Moyes vague as usual (which I understand, doesn’t want to let other teams know). Says he ‘doesn’t think’ Antonio will make the game Sunday but doesn’t extend on his absence.
  • Ex on West Ham Way podcast

"Hopefully Ogbonna, Yarmolenko, Randolph and Lanzini will all be in contention for a place against Newcastle"

"It might come a little bit too early for Yarmolenko but certainly Ogbonna and Lanzini were very close to being on the bench"

"Cresswell obviously felt his hamstring. He’s had issues with his hamstring before… Cresswell is optimistic that it’s not too serious but he’ll have a scan (Monday) to find out how serious it is.”
  • Cress has “had issues with his hamstring before”? If so he has a very good way of hiding it

He has managed at least 30 league appearances in five of his seven seasons with us, and 40 plus champ appearances in the three seasons before that. The man is built of titanium.
  • edited April 2021
    He missed a few games with hamstring problems 2018-19. Its not a major issue but obviously he knows it when he feels it and knows its time to stop playing
  • Out for 3 weeks according to Ex.
  • Lanzini resumed full training on Monday so seems he’ll be back at the weekend.
  • Few rumours on Twitter that Rice will be back for Burnley away.
  • I wouldn't be surprised. The way he was jumping up and down on Sunday made me think his knee couldn't be too dodgy.
  • One good thing is he will be well rested. He had played a lot of football this season until the injury, ever present for us and with each England squad. Having him freshened up for the last 4 or 5 matches could make all the difference. I would love to hear that he was ahead of schedule and available for Chelsea as that is a massive match. Although to use the old cliché, every games a cup final now.

• True, but also there’s the risk of rushing him back and exacerbating things too
  • Ex reporting Cresswell is ahead of schedule & due back against Chelsea, but won’t be risked today.
  • Masuaku swollen knee, should be back next week according to ex
  • edited April 2021
    Need them back
  • Ex reckons Rice and Antonio are both recovering better than expected with Rice possibly fir for Everton and there's a chance we might see Antonio before the end of the season.
  • Rice coming back would be huge. Him and Cresswell are probably our two biggest misses.