Injury and Recovery News 2020/21

Comments

• I'd possibly edge towards Soucek but very difficult to chose. His hard work has taken an incredible workload off Rice and vice versa . Cresswell has been born again. I think these are probably most people's top three so far this season now Oggy is injured.
  • Interesting article on BBC about pitch side saliva test developed for concussion/HIA and trialed in Rugby: https://bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56494264
  • Claret & Hugh reckon Arthur and Yarmo will be fit for Wolves
  • BBC: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56640577

West Ham midfielder Declan Rice is expected to be out for four weeks with a knee injury.
  • David Moyes confirms Antonio was brought off after feeling his hamstring.
  • Winston Reid, having been a regular starter for quite a few consecutive games for Brentford, has been dropped to the bench for the last two (including this evening’s game)
  • Father Time and all that
  • edited April 2021
    The Twittersphere seems to be suggesting there’s bad news coming regarding Antonio...

Possibly out for the rest of the season.
  • Wouldnt be surprised but the owners left us WOEFULLY short up front. By selling Haller etc.
  • 17 goals & 8 assists in his last 45 appearances

Will be a big loss
  • I think we are now 1 injury away from this being very difficult. I think if we were to lose Souček or Lingard, we would be really struggling. As it is, the form Lingard is in, if we can keep him fit & firing with Fornals & Bowen/Benrahma around him, we may be ok, especially against the bottom half sides.
  • Wouldnt be surprised but the owners left us WOEFULLY short up front. By selling Haller etc.

Haller was the proverbial square peg in a round hole, he just didn't fit Moyes way of playing, letting him go to Ajax was best for him and us.

Moyes has a clear idea of what he wants from a centre forward and none of the players that fitted into his scheme were available in January.

Have patience and trust the Moyesiah
  • Lukerz said:

The Twittersphere seems to be suggesting there’s bad news coming regarding Antonio...

Would be a surprise to absolutely nobody. Which brings us back to not bringing in a replacement for Haller in January.

Still, looks like Benrahma may be getting a run in the side now.
  • Bowen will probably play up top, interchanging with Lingard. It’s not the worst situation & we have bounced back from set backs all season, but it’s a blow.

I think the Leicester, Chelsea, Everton games now become a lot tougher than they already were. I am hopeful we can still collect points in the other matches. We can’t rely on MA long term.
  • Lukerz said:

We can’t rely on MA long term.

This was also true in January. Which is why some of us were so cross.

Such a shame to lose Rice and Antonio at a time when we're genuinely pushing for CL.
  • edited April 2021
    PLEASE!!!!! Let us sign a striker in the summer. We can't possibly look to push on if we don't have a proper striker who's hamstrings ( if that's what it is, I'm presuming ) are made of glass ( and I love Antonio to bits ). It's every few weeks we find ourselves in this situation. It's almost amateurish
  • I’d like to know what set backs we’ve bounced back from all season
  • edited April 2021
    Cuz1 said:

I’d like to know what set backs we’ve bounced back from all season

Antonio (injury 1), Masuaku (injury), Antonio (injury 2), Rice (injury), Ogbonna injury etc and now another injury to Antonio (injury 3).
  • The Twittersphere seems to be suggesting there’s bad news coming regarding Antonio...

So how did it now become gospel ?
  • Moyes has a clear idea of what he wants from a centre forward and none of the players that fitted into his scheme were available in January.

Have patience and trust the Moyesiah

Players become available if you want to pay the money! IF we fail to deliver on what is possible this season then IMHO trust in DM's decisions will be questioned.
  • I watched a bit of a Sevilla game recently and I can see why En-Neysiri might be on the list. Looked a bit like a taller Antonio.
  • We may not have bought a striker but to be fair if we had and they had contributed as many goals and assists as Lingard we would be raving about them. Antonio will be missed without doubt but we do have another scorer now. He may lack the physical strength of Antonio but his finishing is in a whole different league.

In Lingard we trust
  • Antonio- we sold our other striker
    Ogbonna- capable cover of centre backs
    Arthur- maybe but the change of formation hardly changed the results
    All clubs have injuries to sort but imo Antonio was the only one we missed and to only have one striker was criminal

• And Antonio’s injury 1,2,and 3 were hardly a set back more of an inevitable waiting to happen imo as my mum would say as sure as god made little apples 🍏
  • edited April 2021
    It's ok Cuz. We could have bought Josh King as cover, I mean he's setting Everton alight.
  • edited April 2021
    Since King moved to Everton he's been available for all 10 Premier League matches but has started on the bench. He's made 8 appearances for a total of 117 minutes and the longest he was on the pitch was 34 minutes against Fulham

To be fair any striker joining a club with Calvert-Lewin is going to struggle for opportunities but even when C-L was injured for two games Ancelotti preferred to keep King on the bench.
  • edited April 2021
    Cuz1 said:

Antonio- we sold our other striker
    Ogbonna- capable cover of centre backs
    Arthur- maybe but the change of formation hardly changed the results
    All clubs have injuries to sort but imo Antonio was the only one we missed and to only have one striker was criminal

Are you saying that we didn’t bounce back from the Masuaku setback because we changed approach and won games? Because I would have thought that’s exactly what bouncing back means?
  • Not to mention the 3-0 comeback against Spurs, another bounce back. Or the reaction to our opening two defeats of the season. Or the reaction to going behind such as in games against Leeds & Man City, Palace (x2), Brighton. I think we have showed lots of ‘bouncing back’ this season.
  • That's not bouncing back, that's football.
  • You can call it what you want, or be awkward, but given some of the West Ham sides over the years, I’d say that’s not just ‘football’.