Injury and Recovery News 2020/21

Comments

• Who's being awkward?
  • alderz said:

Cuz1 said:

Antonio- we sold our other striker
    Ogbonna- capable cover of centre backs
    Arthur- maybe but the change of formation hardly changed the results
    All clubs have injuries to sort but imo Antonio was the only one we missed and to only have one striker was criminal

Are you saying that we didn’t bounce back from the Masuaku setback because we changed approach and won games? Because I would have thought that’s exactly what bouncing back means?
    Are you saying that we didn’t bounce back from the Masuaku setback because we changed approach and won games? Because I would have thought that’s exactly what bouncing back means?

Wearnt we winning games with masuaku playing then, my point is I don’t believe we’ve had to bounce back injuries are a part of football
  • Are we all just interpreting bounce back differently?

I think the original point is basically that whenever we've suffered a kind of loss that we might have expected to derail us, we ended up alright. Maybe survival is a better way to describe it than bouncing back, because we basically rode the challenges of losing Antonio, Masuaku and Ogbonna.
  • Are we all just interpreting bounce back differently?

I think the original point is basically that whenever we've suffered a kind of loss that we might have expected to derail us, we ended up alright. Maybe survival is a better way to describe it than bouncing back, because we basically rode the challenges of losing Antonio, Masuaku and Ogbonna.

This is my interpretation. It is how you recover from setbacks or challenges, whether they are part and parcel of football or not.
  • Yeah 👍

I didn’t realise we just said ‘get over it’. Liverpool haven’t dealt very well with losing their CBs, nor have Wolves with Jimenez. Villa have struggled since losing Grealish.

I mean yeah it’s part of football, but last year we also suffered injuries but were in a relegation scrap all season.
  • IronHerb said:

It's ok Cuz. We could have bought Josh King as cover, I mean he's setting Everton alight.

I clearly stated I didn’t want josh king tho herb not the answer, but I also stated Antonio wouldn’t go the season without another injury but that wasn’t hard to predict lol, but it’s criminal we’ve relied on him knowing this, just saying 😂😂
  • Antonio has already missed 9 games this season (or 30% of all games) ....and we are 4th

Hes a big loss but it is what it is, we have goals in the team through Lingard, Bowen and Soucek
  • Antonio has already missed 9 games this season (or 30% of all games) ....and we are 4th

Hes a big loss but it is what it is, we have goals in the team through Lingard, Bowen and Soucek

I think we are missing the bigger picture, if we make the CL this year have you thought of a new name :)

And Dawson....Sadly at both ends!!..

But agree, Antonio is a loss, we can all agree...But gives someone else a chance..COYI..
  • I wonder if we'll get many goals from Soucek now that Rice is injured or whether he'll hold back a little more. Obviously still a threat from corners but he's got several from open play.
  • Bounce back or not, it was still bordering on reckless of our board to sell our only recognised first team standard forward and not replace him. From a board who claimed to have European plans for us as they sold our stadium

We’ve been lucky with how lingard has turned out. I say that because no-one could have foreseen just how incredible he would be and the impact he would have - probably not even Moyes - he’s never delivered to that level consistently in any part of his career previously. Dare I say it, he has done even better under Moyes than Arnie did..
  • Antonio is a bit like an oil rig worker - 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off....
  • He's done for the season, IMO. Moyes has been talking up Bowen as a striker and I think he's our No9 for the next eight games.

Ah well, most of us saw this coming at some point. Just a shame it's happened when Champions League football is in our hands.
  • I’m saying nothing 😂😂
  • I don't see Antonio as being too much of a miss to be honest. He was at his best at Wolves but could barely get past anyone against Arsenal. We have goals in us so in that respect we're covered.
  • How many wingers do we need to convert into a striker.
  • edited April 2021

Just a shame it's happened when Champions League football is in our hands.

I don't get the logic of this argument.

If it 'had happened' earlier in the season, we might not have had CL football 'in our hands' with 8 games to go ... so that his being fit at this point for the run in would have had no impact on CL or not...

It's a 38 game season.

Problems at any point are problems, and don't count as more severe or less severe according to the month.
  • edited April 2021
    To be fair, in the Wolves game we were playing in a way that the “nominated” forward didn’t matter a huge amount due to the pace and movement of the side as a whole

For lingard’s goal, the second most advance player was coufal.

For Fornals’ goal, the two players in the penalty area when he scored were him and Masuaku

The poacher in the box to snap up the rebound for the disallowed goal was Soucek

Lingard seems to be the person around which a lot of this seems to rotate - if we were missing him, I would say we have a bit of a problem - I mean you only need to look at our two insipid performances at old Trafford (when Man Utd themselves weren’t very good) for evidence of this
  • edited April 2021
    I do agree we can cope with the options we have. Rice is a bigger loss for me. Lingard, Bowen, Fornals, Benrahma, Lanzini (Yarmolenko) will be capable of filling those front 3 positions in his absence. I think the games we’ll really miss him are the harder games (Leicester, Chelsea). I would hope those players listed above have enough about them to get points from 5 of our remaining 8 games (as a minimum).
  • edited April 2021
    MrsGrey said:

Just a shame it's happened when Champions League football is in our hands.

I don't get the logic of this argument.

If it 'had happened' earlier in the season, we might not have had CL football 'in our hands' with 8 games to go ... so that his being fit at this point for the run in would have had no impact on CL or not...

It's a 38 game season.

Problems at any point are problems, and don't count as more severe or less severe according to the month.
    If it happened earlier in the season and as a result we were, say, 9th in the league with eight games to go, then him being available for the run in would be less important to the outcome of the season.

But as we find ourselves in a position where we have CL qualification in our hands, it would be beneficial to have our main striker available to give us the best possible chance.

That we probably won't, for me at least, is a shame.
  • I'm actually glad we sold Haller, if he was still with us he'd most likely start in place of Antonio, we'd have to watch him be frustratingly ineffective and mope around the pitch scowling knowing that any moment he could score a worldie but that was only going to happen once every 3-4 games
  • I find the griping about the squad and lack of options quite tiring, to be honest.

There’s no point saying we should have signed X, Y or Z, or not sold A or B. This is the squad we have. When Antonio got injured against Wolves, Bowen came on and scored.

If it had been Haller or King or Maja then maybe they would have missed that chance and we’d have drawn 2-2.

I love this squad. I love every player in it. We are 4th with 8 games to go and having the best season we’ve had in donkeys years.

If you can’t enjoy this season and celebrate this particular squad right now, I wonder if there will ever be a West Ham season/squad you can.

I’m having a great time and if we finish up 8th this season, it will still have been one of our best seasons in a long, long time.
  • I think we will cope without Antonio due to Lingard who is scoring like a striker at present anyhow. Rice is the big issue. We can rely on Lingard to get the goals I feel and have good support for him in Bowen, Benrhama and Fornells. The problem is going to be that without Rice Soucek will need protect the defence more as will Noble which I think may leave us relying on counter attacks. I think the result may be that we will find it hard to recover if going behind when teams don't need to come onto us as much.

The next three matches are crucial and all three teams will need attack us to try and get three points so we will get our chances, but if we go behind we may struggle to get back into it.
  • Jorderz, the two things aren't mutually exclusive. People can be delighted with the season we're having but also disappointed that we didn't strengthen the squad in January to potentially make it even better.
  • edited April 2021
    lots of twitter saying Antonio basically out for the season bad hamstring tear, normal recovery is 2 months. So expect him to be done for the season.

With Masuaku back though i think Moyes is definitely going to go full circle and back to the back 5 we had at the beginning of the season. Using Coufal and Masuaku up the pitch more and 3 from Cresswell / Dawson / Ogbonna / Diop / Balbuena in the back 3.
  • As we all know we have a paper thin squad and we’ve now lost our best player and potentially our only striker,I really hope not but it be that these eight games might be the ones when the chickens come home to roost.
    When Antonio went off at Wolves it changed the whole dynamic of the game ( I know Bowen scored but you get my point) and we were on the back foot more or less from that point onwards.
    I genuinely hope that Moyes has made contingency plans for when Antonio is out but either way he’s a huge miss.
  • I don’t think Antonio’s going off put us on the back foot because we scored after he went off. We tend to go on the back foot whenever we have a lead and we’re into the second half regardless of who’s on
  • We won’t miss Antonio as much as we have already played Spurs twice.