Aston Villa (H) 30/11 - Match Thread

Comments

• Just a pity we couldn’t deliver a similar undeserved victory against them a few months ago to send them packing straight back to the championship
  • I think it is incredible that with the points we gained from the same games last year we would be sitting in the relegation zone.

I read somewhere that West Ham and Villa have had the fewest changes to their starting line-up. That would go to show what stability can do for you.
  • Great comment taken from the BBC Match comments ...

"No point putting Grealish on pens. He’d fall over before taking it"
  • I have to say I have taken a massive dislike to Villa their dark arts were up there with Burnley and the media buys it, never calls Grealish out for his constant diving its "he has been clever and earnt a free kick" . Even his goal took a deflection and the pundits were all how unlucky Villa were , well if you can't score from 12 yards and have a ref give you multiple freekick in dangerous areas and do nothing with it then tough lol rant over :-)
  • im curious to see where Benrahma ends up. Not sure a LWB is his position.

To me it looked like we switched to a back four with Cresswell at LB at half time

I noticed Benrahma telling Fabianski where Watkins tries to put his penalties although he didn't seem to indicate "crossbar".
  • Overall though we need to see a much better performance. Villa was a good taster to see where we are against fellow High flyers. In my opinion we fell well short of the required quality. Hoping we can pick this up against Man United who in no doubt will get a penalty for Fernandes to take. A couple of big decision for Moyes though. I expect some rotation.
  • I think it was also a bit of a tough one in the end, where we needed set up as stubbornly as we had against Leicester, Wolves, City etc. but also didn't have the control we had in the other two games, where we weren't really threatened. Antonio was a mistake but maybe it also fired Haller up a bit because I think he showed some of that fire people want as a minimum, even when he's not scoring.

I think there's a bigger question mark over Bowen than Fornals, despite the goal. I also wonder whether he'll return to a back 4 to accommodate Benrahma after that second half. (I don't think we were good enough second half to justify that).

I think we'll be better against Man U if we stick to the system we've been using. Hopefully Antonio's feeling good by then.
  • We have tended to play better against the better teams of late haven’t we? Which makes me think we might struggle to raise our game v Man U
  • Just a pity we couldn’t deliver a similar undeserved victory against them a few months ago to send them packing straight back to the championship

But then St. Eddie and Bournemouth would have stayed up.
  • MIA, yeah I'm with you on that one, very difficult decision.
  • edited December 2020
    Grealish is in danger of becoming like Ronaldo when he was first at Man Utd; despised by fans of every other team because of his theatrics. There were a load of comments on the BBC match report from neutrals saying he was diving and going down way too easily. Admittedly the ref was dreadful (in general, but in particular with regards to Grealish) but Grealish is going to end up extremely unpopular if he continues in this vein.
  • https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=135106

Opposition view :- some seemed to think we were kicking lumps out of them and the ref did n't give them another proctection and we should have been down to 10 men/ A few seemed to think they were diving abit. I can see why they are disappointed with the result they played better than us but a few blinkered opinions as always same as all teams
  • edited December 2020
    If refs wearnt as lenient he wouldn’t, why not use var for this kind of blatant cheating it’s ruining the game, grealish really does make my blood boil I seriously would not want him in a West Ham shirt, he’s a good player but also a cheat, end of not the cheeky chappy he’s trying to portray, they say he’s the next Gazza well I never saw gazza diving like Tom Daley
  • For me Man of the Match for the first time was Moyes. He saw we were outnumbered in midfield and switched to a back 4, with Benrahma wide left in attack (not LWB) and Fornals just in front of Rice and Soucek. All the changes worked well and although we were on the defensive for most of the 2nd half we nicked 3 points instead of the 1 we deserved.

All credit to him for being proactive, for once. This ability to switch formations will be valuable in future. He has made us hard to beat and a counter-attacking team, which is OK, but not with the traditional Hammers style. However, we were pretty poor in all the last 3 matches but took 9 points, which is obviously far better than the last few years.
  • Rice and Soucek were not quite as energtic as thier usual high standards maybe all these internationals catching up them abit and Villa had an extra man in midfield in the first half I think .
  • Read a stat that Villa on average win 20 freekicks a game against teams outside the traditional top 6 so clearly last night was not a one off
  • I also like the fact that the media are all over VAR when it's one of the flavour of the months getting it go against them but when we had goals left right and centre from Antonio being disallowed for it randomly being kicked against him or bouncing up and hitting a trailing arm there was nothing.
  • The two villa lads at work even said they were sick of grealish last night one said he got a kick on the knee and went down holding the opposite one
  • There was one moment where Fornals flicked out slightly & Grealish went down holding his opposite knee.
  • Fornals was booked for that and VAR checked for a red.
  • It was silly from Fornals, almost as silly as Grealish holding the wrong leg though
  • Grealish likes to showboat and show his legs off... He should just pull his socks up and wear shin pads....imo he thinks he’s god’s gift 💝
  • Who was that grey haired bloke for us who got the card? Never seen him before.
  • Lukerz said:

Who was that grey haired bloke for us who got the card? Never seen him before.

Wasn’t he part of the Villa coaching team?
  • Wasn’t it Alan Irvine
  • I thought that but it wasn’t, definitely one of ours
  • That was sully he’s aged waiting to see a goal from benny
  • Thorn is right it was Alan Irvine.

• Lukerz said:

Who was that grey haired bloke for us who got the card? Never seen him before.

Wasn’t he part of the Villa coaching team?
    No.Terry was booked at the same time for his part in the "He's a diver", "No his not" exchange.
  • It wasn’t Irvine