Aston Villa (H) 30/11 - Match Thread

Comments

• Carragher is making his judgments on what it was like when he played but on some points unfortunately it’s changed & it’s not for the better.
  • Hamstew wins the Internet.
  • Dean Smith says one of our members of staff was calling Grealish a diver and cheat.

I think it was Nolan.

Name a stand after that legend.
  • Dean Smith taking exception at a West Ham coach calling Grealish a 'diver and a cheat'.

Nowt wrong with that statement, IMO.
  • Nolan #legend
  • edited November 2020
    Yellow card was given, but not to Nolan. I saw 4th official having words though.
  • I think it was actually Alan Irvine from what I saw.
  • Listening to Carragher....I dunno...I could spit
  • Lukerz said:

Their penalty was soft, it was a shirt pull, but you never get them before VAR

The ref gave the penalty not VAR.
  • COYI
    We didn't play well tonight. But it's great to see Alan Smith and Jamie carragher go home crying. Hahahaha.
    3 points is brilliant for us.
    Coyi
  • His reputation will catch up with him eventually but not before a few other players get booked or worse. Memo to Dean Smith “tell him to stop doing it” but he isn’t the only one to do it so until they clamp down on it fans will continue to get wound up.
  • We were poor tonight and were lucky to take those points. Villa were much the better team.

Rice shouldn't pull a shirt, however slightly, in the penalty area as he knows VAR is being used and Ogbonna should not be putting his arms around Watkins. I would have been so annoyed had he given a penalty and its hard to suggest we didn't get away with one there.

Luckily as poor as we are at giving needless penalties of late the opponents are at taking them, we have gained four points between Fulham and Villa by teams unable to take advantage of penalties. Luck really does seem to be shining on us this season, but about time to.

Grielish is one hell of a player, however, we allowed him to be so available to receive the ball and should have been tighter on him all evening. He also looks for the foul too much a referees need wise up to that. He should have been booked for his theatrical fall two seconds after the incident right in front of the ref.

They are very much is the same category as us in that they are playing well and making progress but must keep Grielish just as we must keep Rice.
  • The amount of times we have lost to bad /poor decisions over the last few years and nobody has said anything . We win a game because a player is offside and they are complaining about VAR. It makes me sick. VAR. is ruining the game but it has been for ages and we have suffered more than most.
    Great result . If you can win playing poorly you are doing ok.
  • edited November 2020
    Why do they think that is a penalty on Watkins? Ogbonna puts his arms on him and that’s it. There is no pull or tug or push. No foul for me. We’ll be awarding penalties for when defenders go up for headers from corners next, as they brush the player & head clear.
  • Var said not enough to give a penalty for the incident before the offside goal end of 😂
  • Lukerz said:

Why do they think that is a penalty on Watkins? Ogbonna puts his arms on him and that’s it. There is no pull or tug or push. No foul for me.

I'm not sure. He's certainly impeding him. If that's Grealish, or Salah, or Zaha, 100% they're going down and 100% a penalty is given, either by the ref or VAR. If Watkins went down, I've got no doubt that would have been given as a penalty, and probably a red card to boot.
  • Watkins also ran into Ogbonna, so not surprising he raised his hands, but don’t think Ogbonna pulled him back, or he wouldn’t have got on the end of the cross!!
  • edited November 2020
    I shall remain off the match threads until after kick off, been going rather spiffingly
  • Jamie Carragher is talking complete nonsense on sky sports. How is he on sky so much? Gary Neville is much more eloquent and so much better.
  • Buffy... NOOO don't say that, I'm not listening lalala.. plus I'd get a nosebleed =)

Hope you've got the handkerchief handy 😂🤣😂
  • Jamie Carragher is talking complete nonsense on sky sports. How is he on sky so much? Gary Neville is much more eloquent and so much better.

I think it's to balance Gary Neville. Though not sure if they realised the Manchester v Liverpool would also be insight v nonsense.

All the worst pundits seem to have played for Liverpool...
  • Jim Beglin, Steve Mcmanaman et al.
  • Remember the days of Lawrenson and Hansen on MOTD every week?
  • Jim Beglin, Steve Mcmanaman et al.

Souness
  • alderz said:

Remember the days of Lawrenson and Hansen on MOTD every week?

No insight and it was boring as well.
  • im curious to see where Benrahma ends up. Not sure a LWB is his position.
  • im curious to see where Benrahma ends up. Not sure a LWB is his position.

I was surprised that he didn’t replace Fornals.
  • Villa got what they deserved ............NOTHING ...........
  • I liked Fornals a lot more in that central role. I think centre midfield is his calling in this side