Managerial Merry Go Round

Comments

• I think he did a great job at Chelsea taking them back to where they belong, below West Ham in the table lol
  • edited January 2021
    I think Frank knew he only got the job due to the transfer ban.

He really needed to push on this year to prove that he was no more than an interim/caretaker & he has struggled to prove he is capable of pushing the side on.

Under any other circumstances, he would not have been offered the role due to his lack of experience. It was just convenient for both. Chelsea get a guy who they know will work with them with no complaints for a year, working with what he has. Frank gets a chance at his 'dream' job when his experience does not really qualify him for it. He can now say he was a former Chelsea manager in future interviews.

It was a win-win for both parties.
  • The job came along too early in his management career. I know the old adage of " too good to turn down" or "may never come along again " but he wasn't ready. Chelsea were wrong to appoint him and he wasn't ready to take it. Bad advisors on both parties
  • I think he did a great job at Chelsea taking them back to where they belong, below West Ham in the table lol

When half the season is gone and you’re below West Ham, heads will roll! Arteta can’t be far behind ;)
  • April 14 th 2025.
    “You join us at half time at Villa Park where it’s Villa 1 Chelsea O. We have yet to hear who’ll be managing the blues in the second half. Chelsea legend Eden Hazard has just issued a statement saying what a great honour it was to manage the club for 45 minutes.
    So we await the name of Chelsea’s 17th manager of the season.”
  • Yeah maybe. The article actually says he had another job offer that was also well paid, and that he also worried that it was too early for him, so who knows. Maybe suggest a bit of ego. Should’ve realised he wasn’t ready for the job.

When your club comes calling it’s very difficult to say no, even if your aren’t ready.
  • edited January 2021
    The pleasing thing about this news is that I can happily revert to my normal default state of unequivocally hating Chelsea, without reservation and without having to repress a strange worryingly hidden feeling that I wanted Frank to do well.

Normal service has been resumed and all is right in the world
  • chicago :+1:

Back to having absolutely no redeeming qualities
  • I wish him well for the future
  • Cuz1 said:

I wish him well for the future

Villas Boas or Lampard 🤷‍♂️
  • Lol frank jnr

• I just saw this on Instagram
  • Seen on twitter -

🎵Eleven men couldn't carry, couldn't carry Lampard🎵
  • I actually think Frank was right in pushing for Rice, I think he was his missing player. He was wrong that he didn't prioritise him in the summer. He should have paid 100m if that's what it took as Rice would have made them a whole different proposition at the back with him sitting in front of the defence. In Tammy Abraham I think Chelsea have the best English striker outside of Rashford and Kane at present. he has so many attributes that he will be an England regular for years to come, Rice will be the same and to have him further back down the pitch would have given the solidity they have lacked.

There are few players that have the ability to make a difference to a team on their own De Bruyen is the best in the league in my view, then you have van Dyke. Salah, Grielish, Rashfrod etc Rice is in this lofty group in my view and exactly what Chelsea needed.

Glad he has gone however as I think he was a big pull for Declan and we may have a chance of keeping him now. Others will come in but I suspect only City may tempt him now and I am hoping he may want to stay in London.
  • claretandbluesky:
    then you have van Dyke. Salah, Grielish, Rashfrod etc Rice is in this lofty group in my view

Fixed it.
  • You might dislike Grealish but there is absolutely no denying he makes a difference on his team.

C&Bsky - I agree with a lot of that, but if the Athletic are to be believed, Frank had very little say in who they actually brought in. I think outcast said he only wanted Chilwell and Ziyech
  • Alderz, nothing to do with disliking him, I just don't think he's at the same level as those others.
  • Grealish is probably the best English attacking midfielder around at the moment, along with Foden.
  • Alderz, nothing to do with disliking him, I just don't think he's at the same level as those others.

Really? He's carried a team from the brink of relegation to being arguably THE surprise package of the season. I wish he hadn't, but he's been absolutely brilliant, IMO.

He's got a goal involvement every 117 minutes in the league (5 goals, 8 assists), and he's had a key pass every 25 minutes. That's a seriously good record for any team, but for a team that flirted with relegation for most of last season it's phenomenal.
  • Alderz, he was part of that relegation form though. McGinn wasn’t so much and they improved when he returned. I think they’re a good team unit and he’s the star player but I don’t know if he transforms the team himself.
  • Yeah he was part of that form, but, to me at least, his levels of production have gone up massively this year. He has always won free kicks, but this year he’s creating hatfuls of chances. I think he has really kicked on this year and is a proper talisman for them.
  • alderz said:

Really? He's carried a team from the brink of relegation to being arguably THE surprise package of the season. I wish he hadn't, but he's been absolutely brilliant, IMO.

Its not just Grealish, Villa made some good signings in the summer. Martinez in goal has been better than Tom Heaton and Ollie Watkins has been better up front than the various strikers Villa tried last season. Plus Bertrand Traore, Cash and Barkley have all been upgrades.
  • I'm not disputing any of that.

But I would argue that for us it's not just Rice - Soucek, Coufal, Antonio, Cresswell have all been brilliant in the past 6/7 months. c&bsky also said Rashford, when you could argue that Shaw, Bruno, Pogba, Cavani have all had a significant impact on that team too.

I don't think the point here is to argue that they are one man teams, rather to suggest that these players have performed to a level that elevates the side a notch above where it is. IMO, Grealish is the most likely of the Villa side to be plucked out by a very top club and make an impact. McGinn has been very good, but he's not going to get picked up by your City/United/Liverpool's, whereas Grealish definitely could. To me, he is a cut above the rest of his team.
  • edited January 2021
    alderz said:

I'm not disputing any of that.

But I would argue that for us it's not just Rice - Soucek, Coufal, Antonio, Cresswell have all been brilliant in the past 6/7 months. c&bsky also said Rashford, when you could argue that Shaw, Bruno, Pogba, Cavani have all had a significant impact on that team too.

I don't think the point here is to argue that they are one man teams, rather to suggest that these players have performed to a level that elevates the side a notch above where it is. IMO, Grealish is the most likely of the Villa side to be plucked out by a very top club and make an impact. McGinn has been very good, but he's not going to get picked up by your City/United/Liverpool's, whereas Grealish definitely could. To me, he is a cut above the rest of his team.

Yeah, but his hair though.
  • His ankle socks annoy me.
  • Alderz, he was part of that relegation form though. McGinn wasn’t so much and they improved when he returned. I think they’re a good team unit and he’s the star player but I don’t know if he transforms the team himself.

Scott Parker was part of our relegation form too, but he was brilliant.
  • IronHerb said:

Alderz, he was part of that relegation form though. McGinn wasn’t so much and they improved when he returned. I think they’re a good team unit and he’s the star player but I don’t know if he transforms the team himself.

Scott Parker was part of our relegation form too, but he was brilliant.
    I was responding to carrying them from relegation to their current level. Not that he was brilliant for them. For all Scott Parker did, he couldn’t have taken us from relegation battling to pushing for Europe.

I agree Grealish has been talismanic. I don’t know if I agree that he’s been as crucial as some of the players he was compared to. Think a lot of other players have been a bit overlooked there.
  • And his blatant cheating does it for me,
  • Cuz1 said:

And his blatant cheating does it for me,

Don't forget his driving offences aswell as his diving offences

This discussion has been closed.