Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• Winston Reid's loan finishes on 31 December unless Kansas City want to make his transfer permanent. Providing our CBs can stay fit for the next 12 weeks we might not need another one.

As much as I really rate Reid, I'm not sure his body will ever stand up to the rigours of the Premier League again, certainly not at the level he used to perform at.
  • I love Winston so much. He is by far my favourite West Ham player of the past decade. If selling my kidney would get him back to his best form and fitness I would do it in a heartbeat.
  • IronHerb said:

I think the League 1 to PL step up is probably too big. Can't think of many (any?) players that have successfully made that leap.

Dele Ali
    Yep, I'll take Ali.
    Hamstew said:

Vardy

Less so Vardy because he came up through the leagues with Leicester.

I'm sure there are other examples, but not many make it. Jermaine Blackford being the obvious example - Leeds to Everton was a League One to PL jump and he went to the Championship the following season.
  • I sense you don’t really rate Reid that much, Alderz?

Why so?
  • edited October 2020
    C&H squarely laying the blame for the Tomori deal collapsing at Moyes' door. They're reporting that Moyes spoke to the player and told him (rightly so, IMO) that he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place.

They also state that Tomori wasn't one of Moyes' targets, which suggests Sullivan has been negotiating deals with players that the manager doesn't even want (which isn't a surprise given he admitted as much on one of his Talksport interviews).
  • Me personally can’t believe the rumours of Dawson at 30 he doesn’t fit in with the younger players moyes as said he like brought in
  • And love Reid but echo the comments of him never being fit enough to play in the premier league again but deserves a send off for his time and loyalty here imo
  • Surely we can use and manage Reid sparingly like Newcastle are with AC? I mean I would rather that than having Dawson anywhere near West Ham
  • I think that works with a striker more than it does a defender. You can rotate strikers a lot easier (assuming you have more than one) than you can a CB.

A prime Reid would still be our best defender, but from what I've heard he's not fit enough for the Premier League.
  • Dawson a big NO for me
  • What’s worrying is we are even contemplating paying a £4m fee for him??

Seriously??

Watford want him gone, and it seems a groundswell of their fans do too. They should be offering to pay us to take him.
  • What’s worrying is we are even contemplating paying a £4m fee for him??

Seriously??

Watford want him gone, and it seems a groundswell of their fans do too. They should be offering to pay us to take him.

Salthouse has to pay his bills, you know
  • C&H squarely laying the blame for the Tomori deal collapsing at Moyes' door. They're reporting that Moyes spoke to the player and told him (rightly so, IMO) that he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place.

Good for Moyes. Tomori has played 5 minutes football and thinks he can walk straight into a team when Chelseas defence is bang average and he can't even get into that. Great prospect but rotten attitude. Ducked one there.
  • Winston played 90 mins on Sunday and Kansas City have another game tomorrow, if he's in the starting XI then I'd say he's well on his way to getting his fitness back.
  • Think there’s a difference to fitness in the American League than the rigours of the premier league I’d love it to be proved wrong but sadly can’t see it
  • He'll never make it back in the Prem imo. I thought he was starting to struggle before his injury.
  • Someone was just saying on a podcast that Wilshire couldn't play in the MLS because if the pace of it. Their words, I have no idea about the MLS.
  • edited October 2020
    C&H reporting our interest in Steve Cook:

"Cook was a crucial member of Bournemouth’s defence over their five seasons in the Premier League, but the 29-year-old was unable to help keep the Cherries in the top-flight last campaign. The defender has been a regular in Bournemouth’s starting line-up this season.

Bournemouth value the 29-year-old at around £8 million. The 29-year-old remains a key player for the Cherries under Jason Tindall having started their first four league matches and one EFL cup match."

Anyone know how old Cook is? 🤔
  • Maybe they looked at a picture of him and thought repeatedly writing 29 might make it make sense?
  • I like my centre backs in the 28-33 year range
  • Although Alvin was brilliant at 38

So was Billy, and beyond.

So was Billy, and beyond.
    I only saw Billy once and we lost 4-0! He ran around more than anyone at 40 though
  • https://www.claretandhugh.info/wage-bill-takes-cut-but-losses-mount/

Free transfers is about all we can afford or are they feeding stories again so we don't expect anything
  • Liked the bit where Anderson as said he will come back to us next season fitter, for all he’s paid he should always be fit imo
  • The wilshere thing isn’t any remarkable achievement in my opinion. His contract would have ended in June 2021 - 9 months time

And we paid him off to the tune of £4m? So if he was on £100k a week it means we just paid him everything - except he got it early. So only he wins. Or have I got something wrong?
  • I'd guess that he still got his 100k every week in and out of season, so 40/52 = 77%, so maybe a small saving.
  • And maybe there were bonus payments if he was ever fit 😂😂
  • I think we need Alderz to run the maths to determine whether we were Champs or chumps.
  • I did the maths on this yesterday. He had 42 weeks left on his contract, which would have been £4.2m. We saved £200k by paying him off now.
This discussion has been closed.