The Owners

Comments

• https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=135734

Says 71% of the responses were from Season Ticket Holders.
  • = 485 people.
  • MrsGrey said:

= 485 people.

According to a google search, there are 700,000 West Ham fans.

According to the sample size calculator I use at work, a sample of 485 gives us a confidence interval of 4.45%, with a 95% degree of confidence.

So, you can be 95% confident that those 485 fans represent all West Ham fans to within 4.45% accuracy.
  • edited July 2021
    alderz said:

MrsGrey said:

= 485 people.

According to a google search, there are 700,000 West Ham fans.

According to the sample size calculator I use at work, a sample of 485 gives us a confidence interval of 4.45%, with a 95% degree of confidence.

So, you can be 95% confident that those 485 fans represent all West Ham fans to within 4.45% accuracy.
    Shame there isn't someone on the site who we can trust when it comes to statistics 😂😂😂

(Only teasing, you've explained the maths very well, thanks 👏👍)
  • I hadn't realised that the full sample was 684, so the confidence interval is actually 3.75%.

So, when they say that 70% of respondents believe the board don't have the clubs best interests at heart, then a more accurate thing to say would be:

We can be 95% sure that 66.25% - 73.75% of all West Ham United fans believe the board don't have the clubs best interests at heart. So, best case scenario, 2 in 3 think it, worst case 3 in 4 think it. Either way around, it's not a brilliant set of results for the board, and you can be reasonable confident in it.

And FWIW, a confidence interval of less than 5% and a 95% confidence level is really high, and would be more than enough to make decisions on in my field of work at least.
  • If he was lying to us, would anyone be able to tell?
  • alderz said:

I hadn't realised that the full sample was 684, so the confidence interval is actually 3.75%.

So, when they say that 70% of respondents believe the board don't have the clubs best interests at heart, then a more accurate thing to say would be:

We can be 95% sure that 66.25% - 73.75% of all West Ham United fans believe the board don't have the clubs best interests at heart. So, best case scenario, 2 in 3 think it, worst case 3 in 4 think it. Either way around, it's not a brilliant set of results for the board, and you can be reasonable confident in it.

And FWIW, a confidence interval of less than 5% and a 95% confidence level is really high, and would be more than enough to make decisions on in my field of work at least.

• edited July 2021
    Alderz, does it make any difference that it's a self selecting sample from a group that was set up specifically because some people were dissatisfied with how the board/ club were running things, and the people who joined are therefore more likely to express dissatisfaction... I mean, it's not a representative sample by any means. Not on attitudes, or any other criteria such as ethnicity or age, which they reported, and probably sex too, although they haven't made those figures public.

Don't your statistical things depend on a uniform sample, like polling samples?
    Edit- I've just read an interesting guide to interpreting poll data on the British Polling Council site, and I think I would be fairly confident in saying that the poll results shouldn't be seen as representative of the WH fanbase as a whole because the sample is skewed.
  • She's dissing your stats man.

Imo, the maths is sound, but, as Mrs G says, there's a danger the sample is skewed. I mean, it's obvious that the only ones thinking G&S are doing what's best for the club are club plants put into the group by G&S to stop the results showing that 100% think they're only looking out for themselves.
  • If he was lying to us, would anyone be able to tell?

I am 78.65%-89.75% sure that he is lying to us. It's just the kind of thing he does.
  • MrsGrey said:

Alderz, does it make any difference that it's a self selecting sample from a group that was set up specifically because some people were dissatisfied with how the board/ club were running things, and the people who joined are therefore more likely to express dissatisfaction... I mean, it's not a representative sample by any means. Not on attitudes, or any other criteria such as ethnicity or age, which they reported, and probably sex too, although they haven't made those figures public.

Don't your statistical things depend on a uniform sample, like polling samples?
    Edit- I've just read an interesting guide to interpreting poll data on the British Polling Council site, and I think I would be fairly confident in saying that the poll results shouldn't be seen as representative of the WH fanbase as a whole because the sample is skewed.

Yeah it does. We have no idea about bias in the survey, and you’ve got to consider it but can’t really measure it. I guess what I’d say is that it’s safe to assume the findings are roughly correct, it you should probably whack a few caveats on it.
  • alderz said:

I hadn't realised that the full sample was 684, so the confidence interval is actually 3.75%.

Alderz, you have finallly exploded my mind!
  • If there was any doubt over alderz statting ability, there still is…
  • All I know is that 9 out of 10 dog owners prefer PAL dog food...
  • What do the dogs prefer?
  • Their owners to feed them.
  • edited July 2021
    Burns is the best for Boxers =)

Or is it snowballs?

• edited July 2021
    I think I can say with a degree of certainty that the board will have 0.00% worries about the opinions of 684 fans especially when 71% are some of the 54k season ticket holders who have renewed for next season
  • Not sulli telling porkies, surely not, that fine upstanding citizen.
  • Did Sully really say this?

"[The group] had zero interest in the football side and saw it as a property move. It was a property deal, not a football deal to them."

• Like sulli has football in his heart, rather than pound notes

Such an abhorrent little midget
  • Careful Expat, there's no need for the word "such"
  • edited July 2021

Did Sully really say this?

"[The group] had zero interest in the football side and saw it as a property move. It was a property deal, not a football deal to them."

What property? The stadium is owned by the taxpayers of London and the only property the clubs owns that I can think of is Rush Green training ground

Alzheimer's?
  • Do they not own Chadwell Heath and Little Heath too? I agree that the comment about a 'property deal' doesn't make sense though.
  • Could it not be that they wanted to do other things with the property / land ?
  • Like create proper training facilities?
  • The London Stadium is loosing money for the owners and takes a lot of management time. West Ham United (whoever is the owner at the time) will do a nice deal when it’s sold. That is the property deal.
  • It's like he has forgotten he sold the Boleyn ground and moved the club into rented accommodation.
  • The London Stadium is loosing money for the owners and takes a lot of management time. West Ham United (whoever is the owner at the time) will do a nice deal when it’s sold. That is the property deal.

The "owners" are the Greater London Authority, funded by the taxpayers of London (myself included). The stadium is losing about £20m - £30m a year which isn't that much in the scheme of things, by comparison TfL's operating costs are approx. £150m a week and 2018/19 it had an operating deficit of £400m pa (down from £1.5bn in 2016/17)

However the stadium cost £750m to build and convert, selling it for anything less that it cost could be politically damaging for the Mayor.