The Owners

Comments

• Trying to garner some sympathy no doubt. That’s the difference between him and say Mike Ashley. The latter would probably acknowledge that he is widely hated by Newcastle fans. Sully on the other hand just doesn’t get that there is a large and growing groundswell of hatred where he is concerned.
  • Why is Sullivan even talking to the media? Selfish, self obsessed, narcissistic.

All of the above.

He's trying to avoid any backlash from fans by saying it's all down to Covid, but the problems and discontent at the club are obviously so much deeper than the last 6 months.

He's not even pretending to advance us as a club any more, all he wants is to keep us in the Prem until he can sell without penalty and pocket 100s of millions of pounds profit, with as little protest from fans in the meantime.
  • Adrian Durham pretty much hitting the nail on the head on Talk Sport today....even if I'm not his biggest fan
  • As an owner, you should know you've messed up if anyone in your fanbase is agreeing with Adrian Durham.
  • Adrian Durham pretty much hitting the nail on the head on Talk Sport today....even if I'm not his biggest fan

What did he say?
  • edited September 2020
    Hamstew said:

This was started by one of the guys on KUMB. Some of the doner ...... £ from Grady Diang =)

Apparently all monies raised will go to the BMF

https://www.gofundme.com/f/8e4tr-mr-sullivan-needs-50k-to-fly-west-ham-to-everton

Wonder if our resident journo could get it some publicity =)

What did he say?
    To summarise

- There isn't a way forward under the owners
    - Understanding between fans and sullivan broken down
    - if we bid £33mil for our 2nd target CB (Fofana) why don't we just pay what we need to for Tarkowski if he really is Moyes first choice, even if it is £40mil
    - the irony that sullivan says moyes picks the players to target then won't stump up the cash to get them in
    - how we sold Diangana, sold upton Park, pay no rent and yet still dont have enough money
  • In answer one of those questions champo, they don’t want to pay the money for tarkowski as he will have no resale value (or less resale value)

Which begs the question why even waste time going for him at £31m if that was the concern? I mean what was the point?
  • Thanks for that Champo
  • I have been defending the owners for a while now and I am grateful for what they’ve done over the last 10 years as they’ve spent a lot more of their money on the club than I have over the last 30 years of being a fan but I have had enough of them now.
    That Sullivan interview was ridiculous, seems he’s still trying to run the club like he did at Birmingham by using his favourite agents and offering transfer fees that’ll never be accepted. Football has moved on and hopefully they will soon as well.
  • I can understand that Clactonite. I have often found them not quite as culpable as some would claim but I think patience has properly worn thin now. In summary I think their pockets and their thinking are too small for a premiership club with potential and ambition, they see themselves as bigger than they are but will always be barrow boys at heart.

It's a travesty that after all the talking they have done over the years my hope at present reaches no further than for them to help us avoid relegation before they sell us.
  • As I've said before. It's a bit like a 2 year prison sentence. Just got to accept they are staying for a bit. Meanwhile I'll keep myself occupied with my little boys football and getting better at golf until they've got their monies worth and gone.
  • The sad thing is that I am of the opinion the business model was for a lot of casual fans to come to the game as they will buy the half half scarf, the home top and program and use the concession stands. spending match day income, as opposed to the hard core fan who has the shirt and wants to see the game. Losing the old loyal fans is not a problem for Baroness Brady as long as the money come in, as they can be replaced. Even if you look at this site as a microcosm of this, how many of the old guard remain, LGH, Suze etc . The clubs soul has been sold by these barrow boys for a fast buck when they already have more money than they can spend in their lifetimes.
  • Didn’t the Baroness call people who go to the London Stadium as customers & not fans/supporters? Sums up how she views us.
  • edited September 2020
    Sometimes the juxtaposition of words can be extremely offensive, an example being Baroness and Brady.
    This is a woman that has done nothing, except for being in the right place at the right time.
    The only thing she possesses in abundance is a total lack of class.
    A truly despicable piece of work.
  • Totally agree with Clactonite's post. I used to think it was important and feel proud to have British owners overseeing and caring for a club, other than a foreign conglomerate just in it for the money.....But d'you what, There is no faith in our owners. There is no belief that they have the club at heart, they merely have their financial input at heart. That's how it appears to me. I don't care who owns our club in the future as long as they want the club to succeed
  • edited September 2020
    On the idea that the board have done a lot... I think back to when they took us over and we were a team battling relegation, who been promised the stars, with a ridiculous number of players on high wages who never played. I think the only thing that's changed is our sponsor isn't ironed-on anymore.
  • Our sponsors do have a habit of going bankrupt aswell
  • yoyo said:

I used to think it was important and feel proud to have British owners overseeing and caring for a club, other than a foreign conglomerate just in it for the money.....

I doubt Abramovich (estimated net worth $12.9bn), Sheik Mansour ($22bn), Stan Kroenke ($10bn) or even the Saudi's who wanted to buy Newcastle are in it for the money.

The money they make off football (if any) is nothing compared to their other sources of revenue, owning a Premier League team is about the prestige.

I think back to when they took us over and we were a team battling relegation, who been promised the stars, with a ridiculous number of players on high wages who never played.

After they took us over we were still a club battling relegation, we had a six game losing streak from the end of February, we finished in 17th place, 5pts clear and got relegated the next season.

They promised us a £100k a week striker, we got Benni McCarthy and they brought in a load of other players who didn't stay long.

The only noticeable difference between the Icelandics and S&G is they managed to alienate the one player who actually looked like a decent signing, Demba Ba, by insisting he take a 50% wage cut if we got relegated.
  • Fulham’s owner “promising” new players and apologising for not doing better. Doesn’t mean they’ll have players or make up for their doing badly in the market, but it’s better than throwing any and everyone under the bus for your own failings like some other owners, isn’t it?
  • Apparently David Gold is going to use the money on buying players......Nah i made that bit up!
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/fa-cup-david-gold-auction-sold-west-ham-price-cost-news-b694842.html
  • edited September 2020
    Ooh David Gold selling off years of English history who'd of thunk it.
  • alderz said:

Fulham’s owner “promising” new players and apologising for not doing better. Doesn’t mean they’ll have players or make up for their doing badly in the market, but it’s better than throwing any and everyone under the bus for your own failings like some other owners, isn’t it?

Although it appears Scott Parker viewed these comments as “not helpful”

I thought sully and his manager might have been at odds, but I think this one might come to a head a lot sooner.
  • Have they gone yet?
  • There’s hope
  • I wish they weren't here.
  • There's been no water in Newham today and I bet it was Sullivan who sold it all. #GSBOUT
  • 3 months later and they are still here selling off players before we have finished paying for them.
  • mike said:

Apparently David Gold is going to use the money on buying players......Nah i made that bit up!
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/fa-cup-david-gold-auction-sold-west-ham-price-cost-news-b694842.html

I only just registered this story because today it's reported that Sheikh Mansour bought it and is loaning it back to the National Football Museum.

At first glance, I thought wow that's a lot of money. But on reflection it's not really, when you think about how much a player costs, or how much property in London costs.