The Owners

Comments

• He probably had to in order to get any funds
  • edited September 2020
    Jay - honest some of my posts on here over the years, I do not massively like the owners & often feel they have cut corners when doing the lawn.

But I am only calling this specific incident (Diang) as I see it. The owners will always get stick for whatever they do, but blaming them for this sale is ridiculous. It will be a decision made by Moyes with the support of the board. If not, we would know. Moyes would have resigned over the last 24 hours.

Interesting to see what Moyes says after the Betway cup today, about his thinking.
  • I’d argue that their financial mismanagement has put Moyes in a position where he has no choice, so yes they can be blamed.

If a firefighter can’t save everyone in a building, the blame doesn’t lay with them it’s with the person who set the building on fire. (I’m sure there’s a better analogy, but I am tired)

If the owners had been anything like competent in the transfer market over the past ten years then perhaps we wouldn’t be in a position where we are one of only a small minority who are forced to sell to buy.
  • Agree, but he knew the stakes when he took the job, & has mentioned as much on several occasions.
  • Agree, but you said that it’s ridiculous to blame the owners for the sale. What I am saying is that even if Moyes made the decision, it was very evidently made with both hands behind his backs, and it is entirely the owners’ that are to blame.
  • edited September 2020
    I'm sure someone always comes out after every dodgy decision and says "you cant blame the board for this". Well I blame them for everything and they are the sole reason we are in this mess imo. I despise them.
    I had a terrible night sleep thinking about my/our club.
  • Lukerz said:

This was a Moyes decision.

Diang got a new 5 year deal under Pelle. Pelle liked him & saw him as the future, loaned him to WBA. The owners backed that with the new contract.

Moyes has come in & in the first transfer window that Diang returns, he is sold. Make no mistake Moyes has sanctioned this.

What evidence is there to back this up?
  • edited September 2020
    whufc.com said:

Joint-Chairman David Sullivan said: “It's great to see another product of the Academy making it into the first team and committing their future to the club for such a long time.”

Manager Manuel Pellegrini is delighted that Diangana’s future with West Ham has been secured and has backed the 20-year-old to continue his progress with the Irons.

“I am delighted that Grady has signed a new long-term contract and secured his future with West Ham United.

“He has made great progress since the beginning of the season and deserves the opportunity he has been given. As I have said previously, I have trust in Grady because he is a clever, intelligent player who always has a good solution with the ball.

“Like Declan Rice, he is still a young player with many years of football ahead of him and still much to learn about the game. However, if he keeps working hard and showing the dedication and willingness to learn that I have seen this season, then he can have a very successful career.

“I know that, for West Ham United, the development of our young players through the Academy is a very important part of the club’s heritage and tradition. Grady is one of a number of good young players we have coming through and it is a very encouraging sign for us.”

18th January, 2019, Diangana signs new six-year contract with West Ham
  • Moyes didn’t want to sell Diangana and a Bilic didn’t think he was going to be able to buy him. West Brom only bought him because the offer was too good to turn down, even though it might leave them short for other areas. https://theathletic.com/2043281/2020/09/04/grady-diangana-bilic-moyes-transfer-west-brom-west-ham/?source=user_shared_article
  • Yes but the above doesn’t prove or disprove anything does it? Many have been distrustful of what the owners say right from the get go. I would say trust in them is now at an all time low
  • I don't trust them, or believe they understand how a football club should be run. They are businessmen who so happen to support West Ham. They are not are not very good at being either.
  • I agree Exeter. They are business men playing at running a club and remind me of Trump playing at being a President. The jobs they have taken on are completely different to what the did in the real world. They are totally out of their depth
  • Disappointed obviously that he's gone but what is really appalling is how low the transfer fee is. Sullivan is obviously not the shrewd wheeler-dealer he likes to pretend to be.

If Grady's been sold to fund other purchases, why couldn't G&S have shelled out of their own pockets instead with some of the money they've made out of the club.
  • Fill the force Luke
  • I don't trust them, or believe they understand how a football club should be run. They are businessmen who so happen to support West Ham. They are not are not very good at being either.

100% true. They do not know how to run a football club. And that isn’t a knee jerk view

That is based on 25 years of them “trying”

Try and find many Birmingham fans who think much of them. And then there is West Ham

What have they ever won or come close to winning at either club? What have they actually achieved? It is damning.
  • edited September 2020
    Rumours are on twitter Noble is to be stripped of the captaincy. Crooks
    Although just a rumour.
  • For voicing an opinion against the regime. ( although to be fair I think Rice should now have it )
  • Only if they give it to Deccers
  • Hamstew said:

Rumours are on twitter Noble is to be stripped of the captaincy. Crooks
    Although just a rumour.

Garth ?

• Isn’t his contract up next year? I wonder if they’ve told him he’s out next summer. It seems weird that he’s come out and spoken if it’s just the transfer. There must be something else too.
  • Lukerz said:

This was a Moyes decision.

Diang got a new 5 year deal under Pelle. Pelle liked him & saw him as the future, loaned him to WBA. The owners backed that with the new contract.

Moyes has come in & in the first transfer window that Diang returns, he is sold. Make no mistake Moyes has sanctioned this.

How do you know that?

Moyes said only a couple weeks ago that he wanted to use Grady for our squad

I'd take that over an article from January 2019

And how do you know this move hasnt been forced on Moyes to accept due to the incompetence of the owners managing our resources in the past

Hes been used in every pre season game, hes been in all the media outlets, all the players have been glowing over him saying how excited they are....and you dont think it's likely that G&S went over everyone's heads?

Look, maybe Moyes did sanction this. But in terms of the finances involved, I'm sure he has no say in negotiating. And I'm sure he only did because we have almost £100million worth of attacking players that we cant get a single bid for because we massively overpaid
  • The Athletic article basically says that. Moyes hadn’t even considered Diangana leaving.
  • Fine.

So Moyes will resign shortly...
  • Lukerz said:

Fine.

Again, why?

He's not the first manager who have hasn't had a say in the sale/purchase of a player

He has a 12 month contract and they are his employers

I wouldn't resign if someone who worked under me was let go due to a call by my employers
  • Why on earth would Moyes resign? He has a load of players for that position and can even recruit another with the funds. Hardly the end of the line for him!
  • Lukerz said:

Fine.

Again, why?

He's not the first manager who have hasn't had a say in the sale/purchase of a player

I wouldn't resign if someone who worked under me was let go due to a call by my employers
    This is noT a normal job, my manager doesn’t say to me “ have Week off” more like my targets gone up
  • Lukerz said:

Fine.

Again, why?

Cos he made a big thing about it being done ‘his way’ & how he needs to control & be responsible for signings.

So he has been undermined then, if he wanted to keep Diang & was not aware of any sale.
  • He could’ve wanted to keep him and been aware of the sale. It’s not extreme either/or here, there are things in between.
  • edited September 2020
    I saw a report that Lady B let slip in a blog the double D's value the club at £800m, £500 more than Cashley is trying to flog the barcodes for and that comes with a ground, you do wonder what planet they are on, if true, it must be the chumpions league footie we play.